"Beyond" free for Horizon owners - LEP musings

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Up until recently OA was vocal about the direction of the game as well. Of course it could easily be his fears were allayed when FD took him, kerrash and some others behind the veil ... But OTOH with all the best will in the world it is harder to remain objective when you become friendly with the folk you are critiquing

On the other hand, maybe there's just less to complain about the game now. Especially since we know broadly when the fixes & reworks are actually coming. OA's main gripe was the beigification as I recall, and that'll be sorted in Q1 next year. The results look mightily impressive to me.

So call me naive or optimistic, but I think lot of core things in DDF will continue to influence design.

The only thing the DDF managed to achieve was supercruise - because we pushed back on the dev's original plan to have a POI based "point and click" system.

For everything else, the changes in FD's original designs were minimal or non-existant... and many still haven't made it into the game as we all know (ironman? fuel qualities? mining? persistent npcs?).

However, there were different designers back then... Sandro et al have their own ideas.

Last edited:
No, it looks to me the DDf was a bright idea just to.... get our moneys...

Pretty sure what happened is that Elite was built to spec the same way all AAA games are built to spec, and that difference between starting point and shipped product is a shock to most people because the public is normally heavily insulated from how wildly and unavoidably a game has to evolve during production. You're presumably angry about it, but falling into ideas of malice and conspiracy - that it was a trick and a scam - I think that's unlikely to lead to insightful perception ;)

Last edited:
Pretty sure what happened is that Elite was built to spec the same way all AAA games are built to spec, and that difference between starting point and shipped product is a shock to most people because the public is normally heavily insulated from how wildly and unavoidably a game has to evolve during production. You're presumably angry about it, but falling into ideas of malice and conspiracy - that it was a trick and a scam - I think that's unlikely to lead to insightful perception ;)

And you should stop to attack my person
Next time try to attack my thesis and try to demolish it: if you are able to do that

I am getting quite tired to discuss with people which justify every behaviour of Fd bu putting all the problems on the other side

First ddf - then LEP - now a project halved in development : they need 2 half years to complete a season : how many centuries will take to give us space legs and amo planets sonce they were promised from the beginning?
Inside ( a never existed a 10 year plan)?

First ddf - then LEP - now a project halved in development : they need 2 half years to complete a season : how many centuries will take to give us space legs and amo planets sonce they were promised from the beginning?
Inside ( a never existed a 10 year plan)?

All the indications from FD is that there are more people working on E: D than ever before, so I'm not sure where you get "project halved in development" from. You seem to be making the (often held by management) incorrect view that if you double the developers, you get things twice as fast. It simply doesn't work that way.

That it pretty cynical.... But you could be right.
Milk one cow dry with one game then bait and switch to get money from others who want a different game.
I hope not :(.

Remember that notion about using KSer to make sure there was interest in the specific game they pitched, one which a major publisher would not let go and would want to add in all the generic bumpf where as DB wanted to make the game HE wanted (which one would think was the design decisions they made)

I remember. FDev also promised a macOS version which we do still have. However, it is a strange beast, a lesser version that continues to be developed while ignoring the player base it serves.

And you should stop to attack my person
Next time try to attack my thesis and try to demolish it: if you are able to do that

Not sure what personal attack you think I'm making, none is intended. My points are that AAA games don't look like their starting designs by the time they ship, and normally no-one outside the studios has any way to see the extent of this so it's no surprise that many people here were surprised (even upset), hence Elite not matching its starting point is normal and to be expected rather than suggestive of something darker. And that I believe reading darker motives into the difference when compelling explanations already exist, seems likely to result in a less accurate evaluation of what happened, rather than in a more accurate evaluation. (As perhaps just happened when you read dark motives into my message just now - I was not attacking you, I'm pointing to a reason for the divergence that I believe is more accurate and more likely than dark motives.)

Last edited:
I remember. FDev also promised a macOS version which we do still have. However, it is a strange beast, a lesser version that continues to be developed while ignoring the player base it serves.

amigacookie, how it is lesser game and how Apple's tone deaf approach to OpenGL support has anything to do with FD?

It is the same as the base version of ED on PC. There is nothing strange about it. Also Mac's can dual boot into windows if you want horizons.

It's a lesser game as the macOS version doesn't allow the option of planetary landing, and Apple has produced Metal because it believes OpenGL is not good enough.

Well, tens of games using OpenGL 4.3 on Linux proves otherwise and first Metal was incapable to do compute shaders. Metal 2 can so there's hope. Still not seeing how it's FD fault - they owe me Linux version though :D

Well, tens of games using OpenGL 4.3 on Linux proves otherwise and first Metal was incapable to do compute shaders. Metal 2 can so there's hope. Still not seeing how it's FD fault - they owe me Linux version though :D

+1 for Linux support. Would be able to play this game on my laptop again which moved from running on Windows 8.1 to a dedicated Linux machine (Debian/KDE) a couple years ago.

Here's a list of some of the games I have on it already (a mix of both older and newer stuff, all natively supported)...

Minecraft
Ark: Survival Evolved, ArK: Survival Of The Fittest
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
BioShock Infinite
Braid
DiRT Rally
FEZ
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
Legend of Grimrock
Metro: Last Light Redux
Overload, Overload Playable Teaser
Pillars of Eternity
Portal
Portal 2
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Super Meat Boy
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition

Elite: Dangerous would go quite nicely there is well. [yesnod]

Last edited:
It's a lesser game as the macOS version doesn't allow the option of planetary landing, and Apple has produced Metal because it believes OpenGL is not good enough.
Apple probably produced Metal for similar reasons to why Microsoft produced DirectX... largely to try and tie developers to their platforms.

The actual API itself is largely moot - what matters is how that API interfaces with the hardware and how well the drivers behave.

There is no good reason why OpenGL should not be available or supported on Apple OS's unless Apple actively prevent it being available or supported (nVidia write their own OpenGL layer on Linux for example - atleast AFAIK) and the only reason for doing so is commercial... not technical.

Last edited:

I too would like a Linux version. :)

I'm following your thread on trying to get it working with WINE, but my gut says that will never happen unless the WINE developers put stuff in specifically to handle E: D. :(

I too would like a Linux version. :)

I'm following your thread on trying to get it working with WINE, but my gut says that will never happen unless the WINE developers put stuff in specifically to handle E: D. :(

Let's say ED is quite complex game. Getting it to run on Wine might be very interesting adventure if someone is knowledgeable about Wine.

At this point it just hangs at compiling shaders. That might be trickiest part of the game actually. But that's offtopic and story for another thread.

Not sure what personal attack you think I'm making, none is intended. My points are that AAA games don't look like their starting designs by the time they ship, and normally no-one outside the studios has any way to see the extent of this so it's no surprise that many people here were surprised (even upset), hence Elite not matching its starting point is normal and to be expected rather than suggestive of something darker. And that I believe reading darker motives into the difference when compelling explanations already exist, seems likely to result in a less accurate evaluation of what happened, rather than in a more accurate evaluation. (As perhaps just happened when you read dark motives into my message just now - I was not attacking you, I'm pointing to a reason for the divergence that I believe is more accurate and more likely than dark motives.)

That's true until you don't start a Kickstarter campaign to fund your AAA project.

If you don't ask money you can do what do you want with your money: the market will tell you if your product will have success or not.

On the other hand, if you take money from people (we are talking about 2.2. Milion, not 2.2 euro) the less you can do is deliver them what you have promised.

Period.

If your promises is "you' will be able to hide in a ship's cargo (braben)" and then, much later after getting moneys from people, you say "If we arrive there, If ever we could do that, It's something we'd like" then someone is just eating it's own promises.

Someone it's guilty here but, unfortunatly for Fd, it's not the consumer...

If you sell a Lifetime expansion to fullfill the promises above and then - again: after they have got money from people - one season (reasonably expected in 1 year) became an (almost) 3 years season and they tell their investitor that game will be supported till 2022 (in short: maybe another season or whetever will be it's name) leaving out, most probably atmo Landing and space legs, then there is another problem.

Again: someone it's guilty here but, unfortunatly for Fd, it's not the consumer...

The crowd change has nothing to do.

If a company can't do a right planning (and Fd showed me this is the case [adding feature no one has ever requested - Cqc and PP and removing feature requested: Mc and Npc Mc as well Npc Wings]) in delivering what has promised... again, this is a problem (and a big one in my opinion).

Someone it's guilty here but, unfortunatly for Fd, it's not the consumer...

Everything else, which try to hidden those facts, is just a blatant lie (I am not referring personally to the user quoted but to all the blatant fanboy which are populating this thread).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom