Biological POIs Surface Scanning

I did not know this but I sure ain't surprised that FDev wants us to spend those extra 30 seconds staring at the planet doing nothing.

You can back out of the scan and it'll still find the POIs, but there's no notification, so you'd have to go back into zoom on the planet to see them listed. Which means you're better off just staying there until the spinning glyph is done.

CMDR Ex

You can back out of the scan and it'll still find the POIs, but there's no notification, so you'd have to go back into zoom on the planet to see them listed. Which means you're better off just staying there until the spinning glyph is done.

CMDR Ex

I've actually found it easier to scan everything, then just look at the Systems map for landable planets and then re-zoom to those. It's usually a lot faster in the long run, especially when there are a lot of moons...

I've actually found it easier to scan everything, then just look at the Systems map for landable planets and then re-zoom to those. It's usually a lot faster in the long run, especially when there are a lot of moons...

Oh...that's a great idea. Never thought of that and it would cut down on the waiting time. Thanks! :)

CMDR Ex

Last edited:
Anemones are confined to systems with O, B and A class stars (mostly B). Bark mounds are mostly just near nebulae. The others, I haven't seen yet, but Varonica's advice probably best. Brain trees, I'm told, are confined to being near to guardian sites but haven't done any research outside the forum to confirm (but it seems likely).

No, Bark Mounds are actually everywhere....it was thought they were only near nebula, but from my last trip it is clear they aren't just found near nebula.

Yeah, I do exactly the same. Particularly focus on those with volcanism as well. Whilst not all bio signals need geos (though some do), it does make them more likely.

Also, bios alone seem to resolve faster on fss than geo signals.

See I don't even go back into the FSS. I just look on EDDiscovery if there is any geological symbols to know a planet has something there. Or if there aren't many, I'll look on the System Map to find if there are any Volcanic systems on landable planets by just hovering over them.

I just don't know where the Biological type data would show up on that though. is it even visible on the planet after it's scanned in the description in the Systems Map? Or do you have to zoom into it on the FSS and that's the only way to find if there is any biological POI's on a planet unlike volcanic types POI's where you can just see in the Systems Map?
I guess you have already figured out how to follow this information. After i open the system map and I select from the left column the 2nd tab. Then I hover over planets and the information appears on the 2nd tab of the left column.So you can tell if you want to give a visit on that planet.

In the FSS, when you scan a world, it will show any persistent signal sources on the world in question, including biological ones (if any). The display will be much like with geological ones, listed under the LOCATIONS panel in the FSS display.

After that, you can get the actual locations by flying to the planet and mapping it with your DSS.

However, biological sites are rare, compared to geological ones; and traditionally, most if not all sites have been found in or near nebulae. If there are biological sites outside of nebulae, we have yet to find them.
I found several outside of the nebulae,

Last edited:
In the FSS, when you scan a world, it will show any persistent signal sources on the world in question, including biological ones (if any). The display will be much like with geological ones, listed under the LOCATIONS panel in the FSS display.

After that, you can get the actual locations by flying to the planet and mapping it with your DSS.

However, biological sites are rare, compared to geological ones; and traditionally, most if not all sites have been found in or near nebulae. If there are biological sites outside of nebulae, we have yet to find them.
OUTORST CE-T D3-7 B 4 A. This is an icy body, with no nebula around. Am heading to investigate. Crystal Forest. Yttrium.

Last edited:
I found several outside of the nebulae,

This is a necro, the last post before the most recent one was December 2018, around the time the Codex and a plethora of new bio and locations were added to the game, there's plenty of bio to be found outside nebula now, there wasn't before the codex and all the new species. Before following advice or information on the forums check to see when it was posted and what has changed since then!

Top Bottom