Bison and camel are too small

The size gene always confuses me. If you have 100% size animal, and you want to break the size record, do you just breed randomly until you do it? If 100% was base and you could go over or under it, it all might make more sense. And wow, camels are TINY. I've never gotten any, but that's so small. Snow leopards seemed tiny to me as well, they look like housecats in PZ. I feel like saltwater crocs could be a stand to be a bit bigger, maybe that's just me.

The size gene always confuses me. If you have 100% size animal, and you want to break the size record, do you just breed randomly until you do it? If 100% was base and you could go over or under it, it all might make more sense. And wow, camels are TINY. I've never gotten any, but that's so small. Snow leopards seemed tiny to me as well, they look like housecats in PZ. I feel like saltwater crocs could be a stand to be a bit bigger, maybe that's just me.

IMO the snow leopard and saltie are fine (snow leopards aren't very big in real life, and in-game they're certainly bigger than housecats - their cubs are about the size of housecats in-game), but I agree that the camel is pretty tiny.

I’d have to agree the camel obviously is too small. The snow leopard is pretty accurate tho as seen here.
BD107F68-0E73-4DD5-A91E-3966C7C205F3.jpeg

The bison also on the small side.
68CF5EF1-2C19-4D70-A2D4-BBCC2112616B.jpeg

As for the Asian elephant I’m not to sure. In zt2 a very good design team Aurora Designs resized their animals and the Asian elephant was pretty small but they claimed it was accurate. As a matter of fact I believe the Bactrian camel was very close in size. Here is a comparison between the male and female elephant species when they accurately sized them.
B4443C74-50D3-4B7D-AFEE-474C9BB5EBF9.jpeg

I did look up the shoulder heights for the three and Asian elephant can be 6.6 to 11.5 feet. Bison 5.9 to 6.5. And the camel 5.9 to 7.5.

Last edited:
I did look up the shoulder heights for the three and Asian elephant can be 6.6 to 11.5 feet. Bison 5.9 to 6.5. And the camel 5.9 to 7.5.
You have to keep in mind that Asian/Asiatic elephant includes the smaller Sumatran and Bornean elephants as well. The elephant in the game is specifically Indian.
IMO the snow leopard and saltie are fine.
The salties are definitely not undersized, they are about the size you would see anywhere. However, I think I see why they feel undersized compared to some other animals in the game. Some animals use absolute max size records while others use average max sizes, which is the case with male salties.

Last edited:
The salties are definitely not undersized, they are about the size you would see anywhere. However, I think I see why they feel undersized compared to some other animals in the game. Some animals use absolute max size records while others use average max sizes, which is the case with male salties.

Which in turn, I guess, is an issue with consistency rather than accuracy. A bit like how some animal babies come out looking like newborns and some look like juveniles.

Firstly, the game uses the "at the shoulder" measurement type for the camels, yet for the actual models this translates to "at the hump" instead, which is the main cause of every single camel being extremely undersized for its stated size.

Has this been reported on the Issue Tracker as a bug? I would like to reproduce it and add my evidence to the bug report. I think we may get more traction if a lot of us post similar screenshots showing the issue.

Specifically we should report the label being wrong. It shows "at the shoulder" instead of "at the hump" as you've demonstrated. The animal not being "real world" accurate could be a separate report (I think the reports on the Issue Tracker need to be broken out in tiny detail and not listed all as one issue).

Awesome work!

Which in turn, I guess, is an issue with consistency rather than accuracy. A bit like how some animal babies come out looking like newborns and some look like juveniles.
Yeah, that's exactly the case with the salties. It's not inaccurate, but not consistent with the rest of the roster. The females are even on the larger side to be honest.
Has this been reported on the Issue Tracker as a bug? I would like to reproduce it and add my evidence to the bug report. I think we may get more traction if a lot of us post similar screenshots showing the issue.

Specifically we should report the label being wrong. It shows "at the shoulder" instead of "at the hump" as you've demonstrated. The animal not being "real world" accurate could be a separate report (I think the reports on the Issue Tracker need to be broken out in tiny detail and not listed all as one issue).

Awesome work!
Thanks! I don't know if it has been posted by others to the Issue Tracker, but I haven't yet. I want to take the time to finish all other animals first and then compile all the evidence under one post on the forums. Meanwhile we can of course make Issue Tracker reports, or wait for the compiled version.

I wish the animals and their hitboxes were reviewed. Yes Indian Rhino, Bison and Camel are ridiculously small.
I thought the same before I began testing and collecting data, but to my surprise the Indian rhino turned out to be pretty accurate. However, some other animals and their sizes, like hippos, giraffes, lions, tigers and some bears, make accurate ones look small.

I thought the same before I began testing and collecting data, but to my surprise the Indian rhino turned out to be pretty accurate. However, some other animals and their sizes, like hippos, giraffes, lions, tigers and some bears, make accurate ones look small.
really? I have already been very close to Indian rhinos and they look massive and tall.

really? I have already been very close to Indian rhinos and they look massive and tall.
What I meant was the upper size limit. There is indeed a problem with inferior size gene specimens. The actual 0% size gene would roughly equal the current average (50%), therefore needs an adjustment in that aspect. They are indeed massive animals that need to be on average larger than hippos in the game, but are dwarfed by them right now. I am aiming to finish gathering data in the first few weeks of the new year, and then publish all of it under a single thread.

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but since the issue has not been solved yet, I think it's worth trying once again. I've created a new issue on the issue tracker if someones wants to help: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/49548

As a reminder, the problem with bisons and camels is that they have been given as their total height the height that they have on their shoulders, making them look very small. You can see that the camel below, next to a 2 meter height wall, measures 2.17 to the shoulder, but the truth is that the shoulders are quite below that height. They have put the 2.17 at the top of the humps, not at the shoulders:

20220410213836_1.jpg

The bison below measures 1.80 to the shoulder, but again the animal has been designed with a heigh of 1.80 to the top of the hump, not the shoulders.

20220410213504_1.jpg

If you compare these two animals with the moose, for example, you will see that the moose has the right height at their shoulders, so the moose doesn't look small like these two poor animals do.

I know that CM read all the forums, but I'm going to tag @Eltanin Casciani, @Francesca Falcini @Jens Erik and @Tim Smith just in case, hoping this gets finally fixed.

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but since the issue has not been solved yet, I think it's worth trying once again. I've created a new issue on the issue tracker if someones wants to help: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/49548

As a reminder, the problem with bisons and camels is that they have been given as their total height the height that they have on their shoulders, making them look very small. You can see that the camel below, next to a 2 meter height wall, measures 2.17 to the shoulder, but the truth is that the shoulders are quite below that height. They have put the 2.17 at the top of the humps, not at the shoulders:

View attachment 304339

The bison below measures 1.80 to the shoulder, but again the animal has been designed with a heigh of 1.80 to the top of the hump, not the shoulders.

View attachment 304342

If you compare these two animals with the moose, for example, you will see that the moose has the right height at their shoulders, so the moose doesn't look small like these two poor animals do.

I know that CM read all the forums, but I'm going to tag @Eltanin Casciani, @Francesca Falcini @Jens Erik and @Tim Smith just in case, hoping this gets finally fixed.
Actually the measurement type/method is accurate when it comes to bison. They are correctly measured at the withers, like it's supposed to be. That problem is only present in the camel, as I've pointed out earlier in this thread. Problem with bison is the fact that females have a wrong size range which makes them look tiny, meaning females with inferior size genes are undersized. There's nothing wrong with the males. They don't look big enough because most animals in the game are oversized. Indian rhinos and Indian elephants have the same problem with their females. I don't know if I will be able to post that thread before support ends, but I have all detailed out in a document.

I also feel that the giant tortoises are both very small in game.

Those guys are huge in real life
Problem with the tortoises is, in the game, they are measured from the tip of the head, to the tip of the tail, including the length of the neck, when the measurement type used for them is carapace length only (shell). However, please note that said measurement type is not taken along the curves (curved carapace length), but taken in a straight line (straight carapace length). The other issue is, Galapagos tortoises in the game have inverted sexual dimorphism, with females being larger, when it is supposed to be the other way around. Giant tortoises also suffer from most big ticket animals being oversized (hippo, giraffe, bears, tigers, lion), which makes them look small in comparison.

Edit: Fixed the SCL (straight carapace length) and CCL (curved carapace length) confusion.

Further reading on SCL and CCL, as well as visual aid:
  1. https://www.euroturtle.org/green_diagnostic.htm
  2. https://www.bibliomed.org/mnsfulltext/31/31-1424341420.pdf?1656239029

Last edited:
Top Bottom