"Blight" State?

Still on my way (480,000 light seconds) but I notice that the economy and security states are still pretty positive - in low transitions to boom and civil liberty.

Edit: And no signal sources at the moment.

There were three USS's near the outpost - 1 Degraded, 1 Encoded, 1 Weapons Fire. Pretty normal.

At the outpost, there's this:

The Blight state only affects the controlling faction, and there are no Blight-flavored missions available from the board. Passenger missions are standard, too.

The population here is about 225,000 but I don't see outrageous demand for food. Interesting: this is a blight-ridden Industrial Outpost in a system without an agricultural economy.

I've seen one out here on a non-controlling faction (station 1800Ls from star). Doesn't appear to do anything particularly interesting in that case. Generated Combat Aftermath and Ceremonial Comms USSes, though I didn't have time to check them out.

Those food demands look about normal for a station with 1/3 of a 225,000 population. Perhaps more chance of it affecting supply?

I expect it's in the same pool as Pirate Attack and Outbreak, so it'll probably be relatively rare and perhaps compete with those two states.

Very interesting! I don't suppose blight has been added as a filter in the galmap States, and I don't think eddb is picking it up, so it's going to be hard to track for a while.
It's called "Drought" in the Journal, which may be causing errors in EDDN parsers. e.g. https://ross.eddb.io/eddn/log/239272888

Well this is interesting. Not outbreak or famine! Guess it's from the II... really interesting to hear about the effects (as I'm not able to play til Thursday)

Edit: also, really hope that some outcomes of this are:
  • blight persists after this II as a state like outbreak
  • blight constantly drags down economic slider while active, and
  • blight can be caused (in a sane way^) by players

^ e.g it can be caused by selling particular commodities for profit, rather than something daft like "not selling enough agricultural support tools " or something equally dumb relying exclusively on player inaction

Last edited:
blight can be caused (in a sane way^) by players
I was hoping the same. If it doesn't drag down eco or is just randomly added to a system it won't be as interesting.

As an aside the symbol used for blight in the OP image (crossed out raindrop) ties up with the journal name, so I wonder if it will revert to being the 'drought' state after the ii. Not sure how players could cause a drought though...

This state should be restricted to agricultural economies. Makes no sense that a refinery (as in OPs screenshot) or an extraction outpost (where I encountered the state) should be affected by blight.

The description clearly states that it's an agricultural blight, i.e. "Blight refers to a specific sign affecting plants in response to infection by a pathogenic organism".

This state should be restricted to agricultural economies. Makes no sense that a refinery (as in OPs screenshot) or an extraction outpost (where I encountered the state) should be affected by blight.

The description clearly states that it's an agricultural blight, i.e. "Blight refers to a specific sign affecting plants in response to infection by a pathogenic organism".

Yes, I'm still a bit puzzled that a Blight can occur in a system like this that's entirely Refinery/Extraction. You'd think it would happen only in Agricultural systems (unless it was faction-wide?).

EDDB is pretty confused about the Sanggatia system. Even the PMF affected here doesn't show up in that database.

Yes, I'm still a bit puzzled that a Blight can occur in a system like this that's entirely Refinery/Extraction. You'd think it would happen only in Agricultural systems (unless it was faction-wide?).
Possibly local agricultural production is still affected? They might not export any but they probably also aren't completely reliant on incoming supplies for all their food.

Or depending on what the Blight turns out to be, it may well be that it can appear without necessarily having plants to affect - asymptomatic carriers.

EDDB is pretty confused about the Sanggatia system. Even the PMF affected here doesn't show up in that database.
EDDB seems to be discarding all Blight factions from its records, as it doesn't recognise the state and therefore throws out the entire faction. They're aware and will fix soon.

Top Bottom