Boost your graphics performance in Elite Dangerous Odyssey using these simple tricks

Clearing out the graphics xml files helped me alot (i think) as well.

Just be prepared for the challenges.. its only for the fps game, the space experience is broken fundamentally still.. not in terms of performance but just downgrades and new content thats objectively worse. Sorry, the point is, when you get your 20-40 fps suddenly its not all roses on the other side, even though the fps is playable depending on how old you are.

I played quake 3 on a 3dfx card. 20 fps is just like the old trenches.

Clearing out the graphics xml files helped me alot (i think) as well.

Just be prepared for the challenges.. its only for the fps game, the space experience is broken fundamentally still.. not in terms of performance but just downgrades and new content thats objectively worse. Sorry, the point is, when you get your 20-40 fps suddenly its not all roses on the other side, even though the fps is playable depending on how old you are.

I played quake 3 on a 3dfx card. 20 fps is just like the old trenches.
just imagine how bad it is in VR. sigh.

set vsync to off - This unshackles the gpu
Just as a sidenote >> this actually just makes the GPU do unnecessary extra work on rendering frames that are never shown to the user. If you do set VSync to off, make sure to set an FPS limit (or on NVidia, use the other VSync options, like 'fast') as you will just fry your GPU otherwise.

Holy crap, did david braben claim hes playing on a 980 at ultra settings? If you want to assume hes not lieing or being lied to himself..

Lets get to the bottom of it. Is anyone else getting that? I can only think of driver versions that could make the difference. Also the 980 is maxwell architecture.. that shouldn't make a difference as more modern ones have drastic improvements in areas such as memory bandwidth etc.

Is anyone able to get 1080p at ultra on lower end cards? If you can.. would be great to know the precise specs and driver version. There's not that much you can do on the OS side...

And rivatuner is telling me 100% gpu usage even capped at 30 so....

He can't have been lieing.

I have had the same issues general cruising around space and jumping normal performance sitting around 144 FPS.
Head into the stations depending on where I am facing it fluctuates from 70-fps - 35-fps.
Settlements I am around 30 - 40fps not the best however I am running the game on Samsung G9 monitor thats 3840 x 1080
My hardware is an I7-7700K & EVGA GTX 1080TI

Regards
AB

Would renaming the Game Folder to GameOld be sufficient per chance?

If it does, I believe its even better than making a copy.

Last edited:
I'll be damned, my framerate on planetary surfaces nearly doubled after updating drivers... (nvidia).

I had already done the other 2 tips, deleting the old graphics config dir and enabling HDR on windows, so not sure which exactly contributed to what, but after the drivers update I got a huge FPS boost.

This thread should be stickied IMO.

Some (many?) CMDRs are reporting seeing considerable performance boosts in Odyssey by doing these (taken from my Reddit megathread):
  • Nvidia GeForce: installing the latest drivers, v466.47 (UK version here) helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Scholander)
  • AMD Radeon: installing the latest drivers, v21.5.2 (direct link), helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Dannyl_Tellen)
  • Resetting the game's graphics configuration files helps boost performance for some CMDRs. Backup then delete all files in this folder, which will reset all settings files to defaults: C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics (thanks /u/Pyran)
I updated my BIOS so I can upgrade to a faster RIZEN if needed and for compatibility with the latest video cards and memory.
I then allowed Win10 to upgrade to 20H2 for the latest version and new features.
I always take the GPU updates.

Trying the delete graphics config now once I park, was getting low textures with the Free Cam

• Resetting the game's graphics configuration files helps boost performance for some CMDRs. Backup then delete all files in this folder, which will reset all settings files to defaults: C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics (thanks /u/Pyran)
CAREFUL WITH THIS ONE. this made it much worse for me, Luckily i had it backed up.

Holy crap, did david braben claim hes playing on a 980 at ultra settings? If you want to assume hes not lieing or being lied to himself..

Lets get to the bottom of it. Is anyone else getting that?
I can run Horizons in high settings at 2560 x 1080 @ 60Hz, Ultra is a bit over as there isn't much graphics memory and the planets go absolutely nuts with the layered textures. I believe Braben was playing with the 980, he just didn't specify as to what the performance was like (asked him on twitter but not expecting an answer really) - would be cool to have a baseline as to what to expect.

Elite running perfectly fine for me.
XVS7M6t.jpg

Would renaming the Game Folder to GameOld be sufficient per chance?

If it does, I believe its even better than making a copy.
That would work, but because as far as software is concerned, those are both functionally the same thing.

So if renaming works better for you, great! :)

Honestly that makes me hopeful. It means that a lot of the performance issues people are seeing are pretty well understood as to the "why", and so correcting a good portion of the issues he pointed out is a much simpler task than some elusive bug that requires tricky troubleshooting, and is straightforward enough to presumably be currently underway.

Their code is all hodgepodge and all over the place, because they're doing genuinely really cool stuff with their software here. They need to up their project management game and make sure it's not micromanagement, then get more devs when they can organize the work for 'em. That's all doable and probably trying to be done.

It's ultimately a common and very solvable problem, so I'm optimistic. :)

Honestly that makes me hopeful. It means that a lot of the performance issues people are seeing are pretty well understood as to the "why", and so correcting a good portion of the issues he pointed out is a much simpler task than some elusive bug that requires tricky troubleshooting, and is straightforward enough to presumably be currently underway.

Their code is all hodgepodge and all over the place, because they're doing genuinely really cool stuff with their software here. They need to up their project management game and make sure it's not micromanagement, then get more devs when they can organize the work for 'em. That's all doable and probably trying to be done.

Unfortunately - if you read that thread you'll see that several professionals in the field are thinking it will take them at least months, if not over a year to fix this.
YIKES

actually it make me less hopeful. This analysis has basically same conclusions as the one for alpha had - which indicates that devs did little changes / optimisation on this regard between alpha nd release. That suggests the issue is either quite complicated or they dont know how to fix it (cause otherwise they already would). But thats just me speculating of course :)

Unfortunately - if you read that thread you'll see that several professionals in the field are thinking it will take them at least months, if not over a year to fix this.
YIKES
I mean, it sucks yeah. But I think they'll put in the time. And that makes me trust 'em more, honestly. I like that they seem to be in it for the long haul, so I'm happy to play the game with the same mindset.

Resetting the graphics folder did nothing for me unfortunately with NVIDIA. People are also pointing out the game is rendering entire stations and carriers even when you can't see it from inside (Horizons did not do this), which is sapping performance. Nothing we can do about that part

Top Bottom