Boost your graphics performance in Elite Dangerous Odyssey using these simple tricks

Some (many?) CMDRs are reporting seeing considerable performance boosts in Odyssey by doing these (taken from my Reddit megathread):
  • Nvidia GeForce: installing the latest drivers, v466.47 (UK version here) helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Scholander)
  • AMD Radeon: installing the latest drivers, v21.5.2 (direct link), helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Dannyl_Tellen)
  • Resetting the game's graphics configuration files helps boost performance for some CMDRs. Backup then delete all files in this folder, which will reset all settings files to defaults: C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics (thanks /u/Pyran)

Just in case, some more info on the latest driver is here.
Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/nf9tuj/game_ready_driver_46647_faqdiscussion/

Simce im running an old architecture i don't bother updating unless i really need to. The one im running at the moment for my 1060 is 436.48... I rolled back from a 441 release because it just wasn't as smooth.

Edit: just did a reverse search back though all the driver recommendations, and they still all lead to 43x being good for performance. Apparently i should give 442.59 a try. Ahh love this stuff :) Tinkering was always 1/2 the fun.

Last edited:
Just in case, some more info on the latest driver is here.
Source: https://old.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/nf9tuj/game_ready_driver_46647_faqdiscussion/

Simce im running an old architecture i don't bother updating unless i really need to. The one im running at the moment for my 1060 is 436.48... I rolled back from a 441 release because it just wasn't as smooth.

Edit: just did a reverse search back though all the driver recommendations, and they still all lead to 43x being good for performance. Apparently i should give 442.59 a try. Ahh love this stuff :) Tinkering was always 1/2 the fun.
tinkering is always fun! thanks for the drivers tip, perfomance increase for me too, 442,59.

Holy crap, updating drivers to 442.59 on my system got a tangible increase in performance. If you need a number it worked for me.

The nvidia subreddit for driver versions can be pretty interesting.
i also downgraded to that driver to test it. weird stuff happens. on med or high it looks liked a PS1 game. then i put it on LOW and it looked better than elite has ever looked... :unsure:Flew around a bit got constant 60 fps ... on settlements dropped to 30-40 and then crash.

With that driver i cant enable or disable vsync, its always at 60 and graphics settings do not make sense or dont change anything visual or eitherway it turnes into gameboy color mode.

tinkering is always fun! thanks for the drivers tip, perfomance increase for me too, 442,59.

Hey nice one. Good to know it worked for others too.. driver min maxing is always a bit voodoo. Haven't been brave enough to try the latest one, but if you look back though the nvidia subreddit discussion posts for each driver, there's often a recommendation you can trace back to a fast one (or at least get an idea of what it will be relative to the one you're running). It probably changes with which graphics chip you're running too.

Last edited:
i also downgraded to that driver to test it. weird stuff happens. on med or high it looks liked a PS1 game. then i put it on LOW and it looked better than elite has ever looked... :unsure:Flew around a bit got constant 60 fps ... on settlements dropped to 30-40 and then crash.

With that driver i cant enable or disable vsync, its always at 60 and graphics settings do not make sense or dont change anything visual or eitherway it turnes into gameboy color mode.

Sounds like you might need a clean install? I always use ddu to remove the previous driver from the system (and take it off the network on the way in just to prevent windows 10 from getting any ideas).

i use ddu too.

Yeah interesting. On my system i've never had odysee crash, if that's any data. Do you just use the dropdown menu for setting the quality? I tried that to start but min maxing is fun. Many settings don't make an fps difference when you're always 30 and under anyway. Maybe overclocking? I do overclock my gpu and ram (and cpu, but not really, im not even using an interesting cooler at that multiplier).

Some (many?) CMDRs are reporting seeing considerable performance boosts in Odyssey by doing these (taken from my Reddit megathread):
  • Nvidia GeForce: installing the latest drivers, v466.47 (UK version here) helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Scholander)
  • AMD Radeon: installing the latest drivers, v21.5.2 (direct link), helps boost performance for some CMDRs. (thanks /u/Dannyl_Tellen)
  • Resetting the game's graphics configuration files helps boost performance for some CMDRs. Backup then delete all files in this folder, which will reset all settings files to defaults: C:\Users\your_user_name\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Graphics (thanks /u/Pyran)
When resetting graphics back to defaults, remember to back up your "override" dash color mod. It doesn't have an impact on graphics anyway. I went to log back in and was like, "ewww...gross, why is my dash rust colored again?"

First thing I did was install the latest nvidia driver, I saw a slight improvement but still pretty bad really. I wouldn't say the graphics are that good that it would run as bad as it does on my 1080ti .. I think that the game needs some serious optimising and hopefully it will have after a few weeks.

First thing I did was install the latest nvidia driver, I saw a slight improvement but still pretty bad really. I wouldn't say the graphics are that good that it would run as bad as it does on my 1080ti .. I think that the game needs some serious optimising and hopefully it will have after a few weeks.
It's definitely got a memory leak issue, as frames start out smooth for me and get rough over time. If I restart the game it's fine again. Cyberpunk was this way at launch.

Top Bottom