Boost your Odessy FPS!

Hello folks, I'd like for you to try this...

So, as you all know, we have both Horizons and Odessy in our game folders. Throughout trying everything, literally everything, this is the only meaningful impact I found to work around some extra frames-per-second.

You'll be pleased to know you'll get the biggest boost on low-to-mid teir PCs by doing this change - of at least 10 extra FPS!

See my results, below.

2nd.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/Q2EglvU

Before attempting this, make sure you backup your Odessy GraphicsConfig first!

Simply, go into your "\Elite Dangerous\Products\" folder, and copy the file "GraphicsConfiguration.xml" from the folder "elite-dangerous-64"

Then, paste the GraphicsConfiguration file into your "elite-dangerous-odyssey-64" folder.

Overwrite > You're all good to go.

Make sure you do not have your game running beforehand. If you did, restart it.

Also, I had my Nvidia Cache turned off, although I saw no noticeable difference.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
How on earth do I get pictures to work on this forum?

Got a screenshot to show my experiment, and I can't post it, just "Oops something went wrong" - extremely unhelpful.

How on earth do I get pictures to work on this forum?

Got a screenshot to show my experiment, and I can't post it, just "Oops something went wrong" - extremely unhelpful.
Yes, sort of like "Black Sidewinder".

You can add images, by dragging them into the post from your pc, or from a web browser. Go for JPG (not PNG), and make sure the image isn't too large. I dunno Imgur, but try and right click the image there, and paste it here.

Edit: Your image is too large. Try and rescale it (down).

So you're trying to show an image that is uploaded online elsewhere? Not sure it works, if you're uploading from your drive, you might want to resize or change format (JPEG works)

Derp, no offence mate, but of course I've tried that.
Do not take basic troubleshooting advice as an attack to your intelligence, it's always from the very basics that one has to start, in absence of additional info: it's a general and good practice. :)

How many times I've was told that something wasn't working and I responded "Is it plugged in?" and I received an outraged response, only to find out that the device was indeed unplugged. :LOL:

Incidentally, I've tried your method, and I think I've seen some improvement, so kudos for that! (y)

Do not take basic troubleshooting advice as an attack to your intelligence, it's always from the very basics that one has to start, in absence of additional info: it's a general and good practice. :)

How many times I've was told that something wasn't working and I responded "Is it plugged in?" and I received an outraged response, only to find out that the device was indeed unplugged. :LOL:

Incidentally, I've tried your method, and I think I've seen some improvement, so kudos for that! (y)

True ^^

And glad it seems to have helped!

This has helped on my machine.

@StuartGT might be interested.

The results on the other side are always sad though. I think frontier should just retract this thing, roll back, and give everyone a copy of planet zoo or something. When i was doing the same thing for witcher 3 back in 2015.. on the other side, there was world best graphics, and braver storytelling than any game before it as a reward. All im doing here is making up for frontiers corporate decisions, and the skeleton... there's nothing here and everything is worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, but I'd rather not do that

I usually like to know what setting has to be modified to get a specific result
And blanket copying a file from a game version to the other game version, simply does not qualify

And blanket copying a file from a game version to the other game version, simply does not qualify

So far, I've been to a ground station, did some exploration, and have now come across some wreckage - did some shooting, fps staying above 60 with the Horizon's config :)

Seems to work!

So far, I've been to a ground station, did some exploration, and have now come across some wreckage - did some shooting, fps staying above 60 with the Horizon's config :)

Seems to work!
Hmm but why?

Someone has to dig and figure out what is causing the performance increase.

Does this also fix everything being too dark?

You can always run the two versions through diffchecker to get a sense of what has changed!

I've just done that, and for me it looks like it's the Filter Quality for different graphics profiles (planet approach, planet surface, etc) that's changing, as well as the distances for some of the HBAO / ambient occlusion settings. I'm not a graphics expert, but it basically looks like Odyssey may have "upped the render distance" on ambient occlusion to make planet surfaces look nicer in the distance, and dialling that back is taking off some of the strain.

There's also a bunch of other variables that exist in one file and not the other (and visa versa) so I absolutely would keep a backup of the Odyssey file safe somewhere just in case. For what it's worth, I am seeing some improvement on my end: aside from a wee spike into the red (~28) when I first loaded into the station, I've been comfortably in the yellow (high 30s / low 40s) everywhere on the station concourse, and I'm not getting any of the dips into the red I was getting previously while standing in certain locations. I'm off to check if that holds true for planetary settlements as well!

So far, the main visual difference seems to be in Ambient occlusion quality.. all times left at the maximum setting.

It’s not as good with the old config but the FPS boost on my machine is enough to take it over the line to playable..

A diff of the two reveals a lot of new configuration options for shadows, surfaces and lighting, and filter quality increased across the board. Also it looks like horizon based ambient occlusions settings have been revamped.
Omitting the new options and re-introducing deprecated ones by swapping in the config from horizons seems like it has the potential to break stuff, assuming it doesn't already and nobody's noticed yet.

A diff of the two reveals a lot of new configuration options for shadows, surfaces and lighting, and filter quality increased across the board. Also it looks like horizon based ambient occlusions settings have been revamped.
Omitting the new options and re-introducing deprecated ones by swapping in the config from horizons seems like it has the potential to break stuff, assuming it doesn't already and nobody's noticed yet.
For now thought it might make Odyssey playable for those of us with older machines that refuse to pay scalpers for new PC parts.

Interesting. One thing I've noticed in Odyssey is that ship headlights have a much longer range, so there must be more rendering stuff going on further out.

Gave me a nice boost of 10 more fps >>

odyssey_graphics_boost_sm.jpg

But, again, the problem is not the graphics settings, the problem is the occlusion culling which is completely borked and not doing it's job. Still, huge thanks for this tip. o/

Top Bottom