Broken Atmospheric Lighting

With the issue now Confirmed by us players, the ball is now in FDev’s court - either they stamp it with the green tick of Acknowledgment or stamp it out with an Invalid stripe.

I’m hoping it’s a valid bug that will be fixed 🤞

Well, what else are we supposed to do if not raise a bug for it on the issue tracker and get it visibility here in the forum?

Indeed, that's exactly what they suggested doing in the same post that constantly gets banged upon about how they said lighting is going to be reported as "fixed".

1. Problems With Lighting And Illumination - this issue is due to be closed with Update 7 as general issues with lighting have been resolved. If you experience any further lighting related issues, please create new issues on the tracker for each specific instance.

What intrigues me the most is how can lighting be considered fixed with something like this. Even the cockpit lighting issues at the end, were a subjective thing, a matter of tastes, but this is broken from any point of view. It's not realistic, it's not an artistic creative decision and it can be easlily reproduced anywere in the galaxy, it's the mother of all lighting issues in my opinion. As I said, they know the game better than we do internally and there is no way the team is not aware of this, we are not talking about an obscure bug here... We need more votes so it shows up in the roadmap

Well, what else are we supposed to do if not raise a bug for it on the issue tracker and get it visibility here in the forum?
What intrigues me the most is how can lighting be considered fixed with something like this. Even the cockpit lighting issues at the end, were a subjective thing, a matter of tastes, but this is broken from any point of view. It's not realistic, it's not an artistic creative decision and it can be easlily reproduced anywere in the galaxy, it's the mother of all lighting issues in my opinion. As I said, they know the game better than we do internally and there is no way the team is not aware of this, we are not talking about an obscure bug here... We need more votes so it shows up in the roadmap
Lighting isn't considered fixed by Frontier - they marked the large lighting issue report as fixed because they want people to create specific issue reports for specific issues.

It makes sense. Anyways, I hope this gets the attention it deserves and we have a truly varied array of planets/suns/atmospheres as advertised :)

The lighting in Odyssey is great, nothing needs to be fixed.
1l.gif

Lighting of atmospheric planet surfaces is not accurate, especially during sunsets/sunrises. Sunsets on ammonia worlds produce a deep red hue of the atmosphere, however this is not translated into how the surface should look, due to the specific lighting of the atmosphere. Not sure if the issue is across all atmosphere types, however the issue is most apparent with Ammonia worlds. The gameplay trailer showed how the light should behave, however this isn't what is seen in the live game. This is visually shown in Figure 1 and 2.

View attachment 262552
Figure 1 - Gameplay Trailer (Correct Lighting?)

View attachment 262553
Figure 2 - In-game (Broken Lighting)

Notice how the surface in Figure 1 is bathed in this red light from the atmosphere, however in Figure 2 (Live Game), this is non existent.

The lighting on most atmospheric worlds also behaves similarly to lighting on non-atmospheric worlds, with hard shadows being common. This isn't realistic as the ambient lighting from the sky should smooth out and also expose hard shadows. Worlds with blue atmospheres like Water worlds appear to do this better than other types of atmospheres, especially Ammonia ones. There is a clear disconnect between the atmosphere and the surface for worlds like the ammonia ones. This is visually shown in Figure 3,4 and 5.

View attachment 262554
Figure 3 - Shadows (Ammonia World)

View attachment 262557
Figure 4 - Shadows (Non-Atmospheric World)

View attachment 262558
Figure 5 - Shadows (Water World)

Figure 5 shows what I think is the shadows working "correctly" (there are still other issues with shadows). You can still notice details in shadow, and it isn't just this dark void as shown in Figure 3. Figure 3 appears similar to Figure 4, leading me to believe that Ammonia worlds (and any other atmos types with this issue) are just treating the surface like a non atmospheric world, and just slapping an atmosphere over the top, without it really interacting with the surface at all.

Issue Tracker Link
Im enjoying EDO, and wouldn't think twice about this stuff, but when it's pointed out, I just wonder why there is a difference at all between the game trailer and what we have now. How do they go from having it correct to not? Then they will 'fix' it at some future point, and we'll be happy, but really we could have had that the whole time? Sorry, this is PTS from the beige planets. In the trailer for Horizons, or whatever, all worlds looked great and had different colours etc. Then, well, we got what we got (beige) for a year and half or more? Why?

Im enjoying EDO, and wouldn't think twice about this stuff, but when it's pointed out, I just wonder why there is a difference at all between the game trailer and what we have now. How do they go from having it correct to not? Then they will 'fix' it at some future point, and we'll be happy, but really we could have had that the whole time? Sorry, this is PTS from the beige planets. In the trailer for Horizons, or whatever, all worlds looked great and had different colours etc. Then, well, we got what we got (beige) for a year and half or more? Why?
Agreed - how did it go from 'working' (in the trailer) to 'not working'?

It would be great if FDev could tell us if:
  1. It was unintentional and no one noticed it was bugged.
    OR
  2. It was intentional, and was an artistic choice to change it.
Neither particularly inspire me with confidence though...

😑

Agreed - how did it go from 'working' (in the trailer) to 'not working'?

It would be great if FDev could tell us if:
  1. It was unintentional and no one noticed it was bugged.
    OR
  2. It was intentional, and was an artistic choice to change it.
Neither particularly inspire me with confidence though...

😑
Well, one thing is for certain, and that is in time it'll be 'fixed' and we can see Dr Kay's work as it was intended.

I'm regularly visiting this post and the ticket in the Issue tracker and nothing has happened... it's still not acknowledged....

I'm regularly visiting this post and the ticket in the Issue tracker and nothing has happened... it's still not acknowledged....
Just to put that into context - FDev have (still) not acknowledged that the released game is missing an advertised feature nearly 6 months after release.

Is there anything else we can do? The issue tracker entry was created 1 month ago and quickly got enough votes. All we're looking for is an ack from FD that they'll fix it...

Top Bottom