Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club and Elite Racers present: Old World Hustle (11th-19th June)

Yeah, it's even harder than I was expecting. However this is my first race. But my first attempt was ~35 minutes, and my second was ~43 minutes.

Pro-tip: don't run out of fuel halfway through the race. :D

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

I have discovered that dropping out 28 km from the station is also not a good thing.

Though I'm submitting that run anyway, because at 31 minutes 12 seconds it was at least better than my first one! The video is producing now, I'll post it when it's done.

EDIT: It's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=944ArdxKlsk

Outfitting (0:00)
Start (00:46)
Brett High (04:16)
Patterson Dock (12:13)
La Soeur du Dan Ham (16:27)
Shifnalport (21:59)
Watson Station (26:50)
Finish (31:42)

Time: 31 minutes 12 seconds

Well that was a run of ups and downs... Made a habit of over-braking, got some quite poor pad assignments and got thoroughly welcomed by Brett High... But also didn't have any other major mess-ups and was mostly quite happy with my attempts at dodging bits of stations on the fly-arounds. :D

That welcoming maneuver looks extremely familiar. In that sort of way that lives in my CMDR's nightmares after BBR7. In fact, I believe "The Good, the Bad, and the Bucky" captures one such incident punctuated by a canopy breach.

Last edited:
There may not be much point obfuscating the times given that everyone is posting their screens and videos here! Nonetheless in best Buckyball tradition here's the leaderboard following a raft of Regulation Eagle entries. And look who's at the top...

RSECMDR nameForum nameShip nameShip typeRaced
11AlotEsvandiaryEagle 2 LandingEagle00:27:--
22KliggishrobinjbTeagleEagle00:28:--
33OzricOzricFool of a TookEagle00:30:--
44Crystal StarbladeRankazeThrillseeker IVEagle00:31:--
55BruskiBruskiBruski's EagleEagle00:31:--
66TerrorsidicTerrorsidicElite RicerEagle00:34:--

Yes it's Alot, sweeping the Eagle 2 Landing into the lead somewhere between 1 and 119 seconds ahead of Kliggish's Teagle.

Those two are clear of the chasing pack where things may be more or potentially less competitive. Some time separates CMDRs Ozric in Fool of a Took, Crystal Starblade in Thrillseeker IV and a less familar name, CMDR Bruski flying a hitherto unnamed machine.

Interdiction woes hampered Terrorsidic, who brings up the rear in the Elite Ricer.

There may not be much point obfuscating the times given that everyone is posting their screens and videos here! Nonetheless in best Buckyball tradition here's the leaderboard following a raft of Regulation Eagle entries. And look who's at the top...

11AlotEsvandiaryEagle 2 LandingEagle00:27:--
22KliggishrobinjbTeagleEagle00:28:--
33OzricOzricFool of a TookEagle00:30:--
44Crystal StarbladeRankazeThrillseeker IVEagle00:31:--
55BruskiBruskiBruski's EagleEagle00:31:--
66TerrorsidicTerrorsidicElite RicerEagle00:34:--

While I am of course delighted for Cmdr Alot I'm somewhat concerned that the Open Unlimited board appears to have been sucked into witch-space along with my previous time (which I've just improved on) and Jaques station. If the Thargoid's are studying my form then all I can say is "bring it!". Today's entry now submitted for approval.

There was no change on the Open board so I didn't post it. Now there is a change thanks to your improved time.
11tAlec TurnerAlec TurnerVanishing PointEagle00:24:--

There was no change on the Open board so I didn't post it. Now there is a change thanks to your improved time.
11tAlec TurnerAlec TurnerVanishing PointEagle00:24:--

Cheers.

No 00:23:-- entry from cookiehole? Damn it, he's trying to break the 20m barrier isn't he!

Last edited:

scrub07

Banned
So out of curiosity, since engineers has come out, has anyone figured out which ship is actually now the fastest in the game in terms of straight line boost, and cornering?

So out of curiosity, since engineers has come out, has anyone figured out which ship is actually now the fastest in the game in terms of straight line boost, and cornering?

I cannot imagine that anything can outturn an Eagle with Enhanced Performance Thrusters.

For raw straight-line speed, I'd expect it will be either an Imperial Eagle, an Imperial Courier, or a Viper. I know for a fact the Courier can get up into the 590's with no engineer mods at all, just the 3A Enhanced Performance Thrusters. I'd presume the Viper and Imperial eagle get similar results from them, but haven't tested either yet.

It's so difficult to gain access to the level-5 thruster mods (at least with my limited game time) that I'd imagine anyone who unlocks Professor Palin and gets level-5 rep with him will have the fastest ship for now, regardless of which of those ships they add the mod to. :)

A good roll on the level-5 mod is way better than the best you can get at level-3, which is the best anyone can get without putting some serious effort in.

I'd agree with Rankaze that the eagle will probably have the best speed/manoeuvrability combo.

That welcoming maneuver looks extremely familiar. In that sort of way that lives in my CMDR's nightmares after BBR7. In fact, I believe "The Good, the Bad, and the Bucky" captures one such incident punctuated by a canopy breach.

I did think that and laugh as I was still in the process of bouncing backwards in that GIF... :D

The race is very good fun, a most interesting and welcome change!

It's so difficult to gain access to the level-5 thruster mods (at least with my limited game time) that I'd imagine anyone who unlocks Professor Palin and gets level-5 rep with him will have the fastest ship for now, regardless of which of those ships they add the mod to. :)

A good roll on the level-5 mod is way better than the best you can get at level-3, which is the best anyone can get without putting some serious effort in.

I'd agree with Rankaze that the eagle will probably have the best speed/manoeuvrability combo.

I feel a grind coming on to get the Vanishing Point up to spec'! Sammy would be proud.

I feel a grind coming on to get the Vanishing Point up to spec'! Sammy would be proud.

I finally acquired 25 modular terminals yesterday and spammed enough low level upgrades (20+ rolls on level 1 PD upgrade, I knew the worn shield emitters would come in handy lol) and commodities to get the Palin invite.

Now I just need 50 unknown fragments... but at least I will hopefully have enough exploration data to rank up a fair way with Palin by the time I have found them.

Last edited:
Cheers.
No 00:23:-- entry from cookiehole? Damn it, he's trying to break the 20m barrier isn't he!
I'll try :p. Not sure if today. But the run from yesterday wasn't so bad (not sure about the station loops though), the bigger problem was me just forgetting to submit it when I had time :eek:
I'll have a go in the RegEagle today though, seems like that is where most of the stuff happens at the moment.

Still uploading at the time of this writing. Somehow the edited file ended up being over 9GB...I don't know why when the original, unedited file was less than 3/4 of 1GB. I suck at media.

As usual, I'll not be threatening the leaders with this time, but I really enjoyed acquiring it. So that's a job well-done, furrycat!

CMDR Seneh
Open
Challenger (Reg Eagle)
0:30:50

Video will be here when it's done:

[video=youtube_share;Z5Oc-wXh6X0]https://youtu.be/Z5Oc-wXh6X0[/video]

Last edited:
Just saw your banner on your post in the BRC [EVENT] thread....Whaddaya know - there's a race on.

Intent to race:

CMDR Stern Winter
Ship & name: TBD

On a different note:

iSB7V5I.png

That is clearly a SAAB SA-43 Hammerhead:

latest

No.

11tcookieholecookieholeArrowheadViper Mk III00:21:--
21tAlec TurnerAlec TurnerVanishing PointEagle00:24:--

Gah! Second in a field of two ... I'm coming over to the regulation side until EZ turns up to make me look good.

P.S. cookie - was your Viper running with enhanced thrusters (or do I not want to know)?

Wow - it seriously is! :D

Figured I'd get my music video out of the way so I can focus on racing ...

[video=youtube;7HmN-jfPAy8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HmN-jfPAy8[/video]

Music by Fischerspooner.

Terrorsidic ... as you can see I cheated ... I just edited out all the tedious supercruising. :D

Top Bottom