Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Armed and Dangerous (22-30 July 3303)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ok, here's my first run. Including my traditional 3 Terrible Landings:) Time is 12:11, I think. Any pointers from pros greatly appreciated!

I could tell you three of the golden rules of Buckyball Racing:

1. When you leave a station boost in a straight line away from the exit. Do not turn to face your destination. This will allow you to break Mass Lock quicker, you can then start jumping and use a boost turn to align yourself. Be careful if the destination system is directly behind the station that you wait a bit after charging to spin around, otherwise you will go back into mass lock.

2. When you enter a system to land at a station, fly directly away from the star, do not fly around the star to face the station. Again as counter intuitive as it will feel to start with, it allows you to break the gravity well of the star and start accelerating faster. If the station is within 50Ls of the star I don't think this is crucial, personally.

3. Watch the comparison video I posted a few posts ago and start to try planetary braking to slow you down. You'll be scared how much you can knock off of your time, just by doing that.

As for landings... Can't help with that I'm rubbish is any kind of small ships as I'm far too used to relying on lithobraking to stop me :D
[video=youtube;RiHiNs4rMXU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHiNs4rMXU[/video]

Last edited:
Any pointers from pros greatly appreciated!

Two quick things after looking at the first 5 mins or so:

1. When leaving a station, it is quicker to continue heading straight out of the mail slot (with boosts) until you leave mass lock, then turn towards the target while your FSD is charging.

2. Supercruise makes all the difference. The 6s approach (i.e. slowing to mid-blue speed once the ETA shows as 6 seconds) is much slower than coming in fast and using the gravity of the planet to slow you down (probably with a planned loop). Check out the third video on the videos page of our website, which includes a demonstration from Cmdr furrycat of the difference between some different supercruise approaches. Skimming close to a planet can slow you down substantially when you start to pull away from them, with a bigger effect from a heavier planet; so in this case skimming close to the gas giant could quite happily slow you down from well above normal safe speed (just as long as you don't go so close as to be pulled out of supercruise!).

While I'm mentioning tips and the website, we do also have a useful diagram of starport landing pad locations available.

I could tell you three of the golden rules of Buckyball Racing:

1. When you leave a station boost in a straight line away from the exit. Do not turn to face your destination. This will allow you to break Mass Lock quicker, you can then start jumping and use a boost turn to align yourself. Be careful if the destination system is directly behind the station that you wait a bit after charging to spin around, otherwise you will go back into mass lock.

2. When you enter a system to land at a station, fly directly away from the star, do not fly around the star to face the station. Again as counter intuitive as it will feel to start with, it allows you to break the gravity well of the star and start accelerating faster. If the station is within 50Ls of the star I don't think this is crucial, personally.

3. Watch the comparison video I posted a few posts ago and start to try planetary braking to slow you down. You'll be scared how much you can knock off of your time, just by doing that.

Wow, nice tips! Thanks, man. Will go and hunt down your comparison video.

As a relatively inexperienced Buckyballer I would just like to check that it is the taking part that is important and not the time?

It's very important to look good while racing. Be sure to paint your ship in exciting colors. Maybe add a few decals.

Winning isn't the important part. It's really more about how cool you look.

:p

I'm kidding of course (well, kinda -- I did paint my ship. I'd comb my hair too but I don't have much of that).

dQ1HbpB.jpg

This is my 3rd race, and it's just fun to be part of things.

Welcome to the club!

Well my first time was over 20 mins so I don't think I'll be submitting that :eek:

I couldn't find the mail slots on the first 2 legs haha. I'm so bad at manual docking.

Well my first time was over 20 mins so I don't think I'll be submitting that :eek:

I couldn't find the mail slots on the first 2 legs haha. I'm so bad at manual docking.

Always worth submitting, then you have a benchmark to show how much you improve over the week :)

On finding mailslots on Coriolis stations, are you targeting the station in normal space to give the additional arrows (pointing towards the side with the slot) on the HUD hologram of the station?

There is no such thing as a loop of shame! This is the first thing you must learn when Buckyballing. If you watch the comparison video on the website you will notice that it's much faster. Even if you fly at the planet at full speed and then loop around it would be quicker that going straight towards it at 6 seconds.

Thanks for the tips. Now, if I also avoid bouncing the Sidey all over the station, I might have a chance on improving that time...

One question to the pros: can you boost to brake w/ FA on while the reverse thrusters are active?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Hehe, don't worry, as others have said the main thing about Buckyball is improving on your own times. Another handy hint then would be as soon as you drop from supercruise, then target the station and on the hologram display it has arrows which show you where the entrance is.

Ninja'd :p

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks for the tips. Now, if I also avoid bouncing the Sidey all over the station, I might have a chance on improving that time...

One question to the pros: can you boost to brake w/ FA on while the reverse thrusters are active?

I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting what you mean but I just tested in my Asp and I was full reverse throttle 187 and I pressed boost and it took me up to 106 going forwards. So I guess you can, though I'm always apprehensive in stations ;) and obviously the mass of the ship/grade of the thrusters must have an effect.

Last edited:
Just done a run in my Cobra and got a time of 14 mins 35 seconds, it would have been so much better if I hadn't missed the slot leaving the last way station then getting clobbered by a Beluga when I got back in front of the slot, first time I have been down to 20% hull for a while.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm getting what you mean but I just tested in my Asp and I was full reverse throttle 187 and I pressed boost and it took me up to 106 going forwards. So I guess you can, though I'm always apprehensive in stations ;) and obviously the mass of the ship/grade of the thrusters must have an effect.

I was more thinking about the other way round - moving forward (e.g. from the last boost through the slot), with reverse thrusters operating (i.e. braking), and press boost.

Guess I'll have to try it later on.

I was more thinking about the other way round - moving forward (e.g. from the last boost through the slot), with reverse thrusters operating (i.e. braking), and press boost.

Ok, doesn't work. Boosting always kicks you forward, no matter what your throttle setting is.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

Ok, doesn't work. Boosting always kicks you forward, no matter what your throttle setting is.

Ahahahaha, with that kind of crazy attitude you're going to fit in very well here :D

Today has seen intense activity on the course, with both the Unlimited and Adder Special leaderboards filling up nicely and with yet more competitors out on the course. (Apologies to those whose submissions come in for the rest of the day, the next update will either be very late today or, more likely, tomorrow now as I'm taking part in an event elsewhere this evening).
In the Adder Special, the pace is now being set by CMDR Aken B., who navigated the course in the Canned Laughter Box in under fourteen minutes. CMDR Bruski is less than twenty seconds behind in The Pakistani Ambassador whilst a review of the submission documentation sees CMDR Alec Turner narrowly behind him. CMDR jumpingclear managed to bring the Buckyfast Whine into sixth place, completing a group of entries all starting at Viete Colony. But is that really the fastest place to start?
CMDR Alot thinks otherwise: starting from Bushkov Dock, the Buckyball veteran Hauler you might recognise from the highlights reel of Buckyball 7, Explodes on Contact, has set the new benchmark time of 9:51, although she did not - quite - live up to her name, enduring the loss of more than one third of her hull during the run. CMDR Alot seems to have found the way to make the difficult approach to Viete Colony faster than Bushkov Dock, despite the slightly longer supercruise distance. Not far behind, though, is CMDR Bruski in the Imperial Courier Varangian Lightning that has certainly set the normal-space speed record for the race, so far, in another sub-ten-minute time. There is, however, a Courier-shaped dent at Crick Orbital that shows there is more time to be found from runs starting at Viete Colony. There are a number of new and infrequent racers taking part in this event and CMDR Cruel Rabbit is leading the way out of those, so far, with his Viper Mk3 Mortal Coil, in a time close to twelve minutes, getting remarkable speed and jump range out of the ship. CMDR SJ McThompson has taken the first large class ship around the course in an impressive time of 13:37; a review of the video evidence revealed the original time claimed was actually one second slower than what was achieved by the Orca Free Willy (I have been watching the videos carefully!). CMDR aRJay has raced both a Dolphin, the Streaker, and a Cobra Mk3, the Lazy Eight, achieving fairly consistent times, with the Dolphin being the faster of the two and less than twenty seconds behind its fellow cetacean Free Willy. CMDR Stern Winter completes the new entries for today with a time of 11:45 in the Imperial Eagle Snowbird, which he reflects could do with some improvement in the docking and supercruise approach phases.
I've been out on the course today in my gunship doing a bit of bounty hunting to help keep the spaceways clear and saying hi to people running in Open. With fast supercruise approaches it's quite difficult for would-be pirates to get into position in time to interdict you but it can still happen, so fly fast and you'll always be flying safe! o7

uvk6TAr.jpg

dBHkSUd.jpg

Well I did a return run and it's still around 20 mins but it might amuse whoever watches it. On PS4 its easier to upload the whole thing to youtube than to do screenshots. I made some real rookie errors, not least forgetting to refuel before setting off so had to refuel mid journey, but I was laughing my head off most of the way through it.

All the tips given here have really helped though. So cheers to all for those.

[video=youtube;Vbp-dRUG1qg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbp-dRUG1qg[/video]

Sorry I'm a complete noob at youtube and dont know how to do a better thumbnail.

Last edited:
Top Bottom