Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Armed and Dangerous (22-30 July 3303)

Kietrax

Volunteer Moderator
Oh, registering my intent to finally join a Buckyball Race (only taken me from when you first started them until now ...)

Adder Special class for sure, though she doesn't have a name yet!
Possible open class entry too, likely in an iEagle or iCourier but need to sort out the load-outs first. More details to follow ...

Welcome Kietrax! There are a number of people competing here for the first time so it will be very interesting to see how you all get on. Say hi or o7 if you see each other on the course and have fun!
It's not long to go now and already there have been several people doing test runs, which have included some very good times in both classes. With a short race like this times could be tight and there's a lot of competition amongst different ships as well as much interest in the Adder Special. Both large and small ships are lined up in the staging area - it's always good to see some diversity!
Fly fast!

I'm gonna give this a go!

Forum Name: TadoChip
CMDR Name: Tado Chip
Unlimited class
Imperial Eagle: "EAGLEEEEEE!!!"

This can be done any time during the week, correct?
Welcome! You are correct - you can race at any time you like. It's part of the appeal of Buckyball Racing Club events that you can take part when it is convenient. (There have been some live races in the past but these are quite rare and none are currently planned). Have fun and fly fast! o7

Just finished my first run in Beth Johansson's brand new Adder, Acanthophis. I tried to use fuel economy to shorten the Koine -> Gandza leg to two jumps instead of three, but I simply couldn't make it work. As it is, I finished my first run on fumes.

You can see my first run, in all its "glory" below. I especially love going to the wrong side of the station at the end there. :eek:

[video=youtube_share;eRr9b8pbKfE]https://youtu.be/eRr9b8pbKfE[/video]

Please give it a few more minutes to finish processing.

Yay! They got the race in the newsletter before the start this time! OK, so they used the wrong image but still, good effort FD, 7/10. :p
(bad Alec, you said you weren't going to be mean anymore after Lavecon)

Happy racing everyone!

Last edited:
Least your events get a mention in the newsletter :p

It is a bit random, one of mine got a mention the other didn't lol. The one I put the most effort into the story was the one that didn't get in!

Intent to enter a race and compete before it ends :)

CMDR Markzx59 (racer1)
Eagle - Screech
Unlimited class

I've already done a recce and most of the stations are in a very tight orbit great for planetary braking.

I think I'm going to name my Adder "Chester". RIP :(

I'll probably be trying my first run tonight. I'm taking my son to see Spiderman in a few hours so probably after that. I've bough tthe ship, just need to get the needed modules and then fly it for the first time. Docking will be my achilles heel I think!

First run done in my Adder 18 mins 54 Secs if I got my maths right, time to sort images and send PM etc 50 mins.

Now to race back.

Return run was 17 mins 51 secs, far from adequate of course.

Last edited:
Phew - what a faff it turned out to be to retrieve "Nuts To Your Watches" from Epsilon Indi, where I left it after Aquarian Job. Basically left my iCourier at Okinura for the station sprint challenge, bought a hauler to go get "Nuts", sold the hauler, re-fitted "Nuts" for the journey to Koine, got to Koine, put my 3A FSD into storage and fitted the 3D one, then discovered Viete doesn't sell the 3E sensors or shield generator (presumably a stock Adder would come with those already fitted?), so put the 3D FSD into storage and retrieved the 3A FSD, flew to Borovii, got the 3E sensors and shield generator from Bushkov, was about to run the race in reverse when I realised I'd left my 3D FSD back at Viete, fly back to Viete again, put my 3A FSD back into storage (again) and finally re-fitted the 3D. Phew!

After all that I didn't actually have that much time left for racing today.

Luckily ... it turns out I didn't need much! (baddum tish)
;)

Run submitted.

Phew - what a faff it turned out to be to retrieve "Nuts To Your Watches" from Epsilon Indi, where I left it after Aquarian Job. Basically left my iCourier at Okinura for the station sprint challenge, bought a hauler to go get "Nuts", sold the hauler, re-fitted "Nuts" for the journey to Koine, got to Koine, put my 3A FSD into storage and fitted the 3D one, then discovered Viete doesn't sell the 3E sensors or shield generator (presumably a stock Adder would come with those already fitted?), so put the 3D FSD into storage and retrieved the 3A FSD, flew to Borovii, got the 3E sensors and shield generator from Bushkov, was about to run the race in reverse when I realised I'd left my 3D FSD back at Viete, fly back to Viete again, put my 3A FSD back into storage (again) and finally re-fitted the 3D. Phew!

After all that I didn't actually have that much time left for racing today.

Luckily ... it turns out I didn't need much! (baddum tish)
;)

Run submitted.
Since a couple of people have mentioned it, I thought I would clarify that the Adder can be bought at both Viete Colony and Bushkov Dock and, once bought, all the modules needed to outfit it to race spec can be bought at both stations. I envisaged people making the journey and buying the stock Adder on site, not transporting their own and kitting it out there, so it was an oversight on my part. Bushkov Dock is the better of the two stations for outfitting with C/D/E rated modules but it has little in the way of A/B modules. Viete Colony has good outfitting A-E but is missing a few modules at C/D/E, like sensors and shields.
Some good Adder times here (much faster than I managed in testing!). o7

If you put a fitted core module into storage (or sell it) then it's automatically replaced with an E rated module of the correct size for the slot. So E rated modules are always available, but not necessarily listed.

It was a bug fix a while ago.

It turns out that I'm a bit rusty at flying Viper Mk IIIs, but I'm having fun despite the explosions. :eek:

I'm going to reverse my plans and use this race to practice for the Okinura time challenge (most of my attempts at 180s ended in rebuys!)

Sorry for the double post - I thought the forum would just merge them.

The race is on!
Action on the first day has mostly been in the Adder Special, with CMDR Beth Johansson leading the early charge soon after the green light was lit. The Acanthophis recorded a run with a bumpy approach, that included nearly getting entangled with the arms of Bushkov Dock - but thankfully no damage was done. CMDR Roger J Smith soon followed, with a time less than ninety seconds slower, in Wilson Accountant, a ship that has done some exploring in its time on 'Planet Wilson', where CMDR Bomba Luigi was once stranded in his SRV after his ship was destroyed upon being recalled. No harm came to CMDR Roger J Smith during this run, fortunately. Finally, CMDR Alec Turner, after much tribulation and debate with Galactic Logistics, took the Nuts To Your Watches round the course in a time just barely under 14 minutes, setting the benchmark for day 1 - in both classes!
That's right, just getting his entry in before the first board update was CMDR Azzie Elbub, in the Sidewinder Hotrod who took a different route to the Adders, all of which started in Viete Colony. Beginning from Bushkov Dock, the Hotrod completed the course in 14 minutes and 20 seconds. I doubt we'll have seen the last of CMDR Azzie Elbub for this race: is a D-rated Adder really faster than a modified Sidewinder? Time will tell ....
I hope you all enjoyed yourself on the course today. Fly fast!

2WTaubS.jpg

9vjvYGS.jpg
EDIT: A last-minute entry has been received today from CMDR Polly! Continuing the trend of the Adders starting from Viete Colony, the Miseros Morsu completed the course less than fifteen seconds slower than CMDR Alec Turner's Nuts To Your Watches but also faster than the Hotrod. Is the distance in supercruise a deciding factor, or have there been cases of 'target obscured' from Bushkov Dock? Some CMDRs have made attempts in both directions, so it is not always the latter (but obscured targets can happen on the course, with the stations in such close orbits).

Last edited:
Submitted my first run with the Canned Laughter Box. I must congratulate with cmdr Turner, he already set a rather high bar with that 13:59! (my very first shot at the course ended in a 14:00, and that wasn't easy to achieve already)

Top Bottom