Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents :- BuggyBall 2 :- Jailbreak (Ao Kang 31st May -2nd June)

One thing is very clear from watching the faster SRV racers - it is impossible to drive an SRV that fast, you have to fly the SRV to go that fast.
By my reckoning, Tannik's time works out at an average speed of 58.8m/s, or roughly 210 km/h (130mph). In an all-terrain vehicle, across rough ground.
well now you know how to do it , you should be putting in a good time right? ;)
Should point out that the Impromptu Circle Pit was responsible for both my new County Line time AND my new Jailbreak time.
Sry Alec, will update that later. (cookiebots!)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Now I know why all those people are complaining about those rocks. Seems that I was really lucky in my first run as I don't remember having any instant-stop-collisions then. Today's attempt was slower, especially because of me and the terrain not having the same opinion on the general travel direction. Will probably try again later in the evening and will hopefully get a Border Run in aswell. SRV racing is much harder than ship racing, but it's great fun! Dunno why I've spent so much time away from these balls of rock instead of hopping over their surfaces in the last months. :)

Having an idea how something is done, and being able to do it oneself, are two very different things :D
youre right.. you do have to be willing to put in some time to get fast and stay fast.... you only need 10 minutes for a run... its not like the wasat cup where you needed to go base to base. I took inspiration from Alecs total recall race and decided to help those buckyballers with less time by including shorter classes.
buggyballs aren't for everyone.. though imo they are closer to the original concept of the cannonball than the buckyball is.
and I personally cant wait for a buggy cannon ball east to west coast on earth.

Last edited:
Except in the Cannonball run you drive, not fly :p

well on earth itll be 1 G right.. and trees.. and what not.. should be a lot less floaty.
if I could find 2 bases close that were on a high gee world.. we'd be there doing it.
if theres a next time.. ill make sure its on a high gee world.. as Seneh mentions..
this course was found and planned before the clock dropped.

Last edited:
Quick note re: driving on high G worlds ... I tried a few while planning Total Recall and actually found them kinda boring. The SRV gets up to top speed, the engine settles into a rather monotonous whine, and your just steer. I suspected everyone would end up with the exact same time. That said, I didn't choose particularly bumpy terrain ... navigating AROUND bumps rather than flying over them could be interesting I suppose. That guy (sorry dude, forgotten your user name) who's been developing the data scraping HUD overlay racing app is a big fan of high G SRV racing.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
well on earth itll be 1 G right.. and trees.. and what not.. should be a lot less floaty.
if I could find 2 bases close that were on a high gee world.. we'd be there doing it.
if theres a next time.. ill make sure its on a high gee world.. as Seneh mentions..
this course was found and planned before the clock dropped.

There'll be roads and everything, it's gonna be mental by the time we get to that point :D I think we should have a best roadkill award too!

90 km in 25 minutes...I can't even...

Speaking of rolling srv's and not rocket-flying ones :p, some more time on the track allowed me to better understand the subtle changes to the driving model...can say I got a better grip of it, literally :). In short, in my first run I made the mistake of driving as in pre-2.1, where trying to countersteer on a full throttle spin meant a spin out in 90% of occasions, so it was better to gently follow the srv in the spin, reduce throttle and steer in the opposite direction as soon as the grip returned...now instead I've noticed that if there's not too much momentum on the initial spin, you can keep full throttle and countersteer all the way in a powerslide until the srv gets in the right direction again, or at the very least you can still recover it from a bit of pendulum without too much hassle...I've never driven an AWD in real life (well, I could call my car an AWD, but in the sense of Awful Wheels Drive :D) , but from all my years spent with simulations it seems a pretty consistent behaviour, so that should be a nice thing.

One thing is very clear from watching the faster SRV racers - it is impossible to drive an SRV that fast, you have to fly the SRV to go that fast.

By my reckoning, Tannik's time works out at an average speed of 58.8m/s, or roughly 210 km/h (130mph). In an all-terrain vehicle, across rough ground.

Definitely, the trick is to spend as much time airborne and tilting forward while thrusting as possible. Balanced with the need to find hills to bounce off of to stay in the air and make sure you land well. Wheels on ground just slows you down, puts you at the mercy of rocks, and leads to spinouts.

I spent a good chunk of the last month doing the EliteRacers "Horizons Series Rally Competition" (https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteRacers/comments/4f3lgx/announcement_horizons_series_rally_competition/), so I've had quite a bit of recent relevant practice.

I don't have my most recent run uploaded yet, but you can see some of my racing for the EliteRacers event on my youtube channel. Here's the one that I'm most proud of, even though someone else managed to edge me out and get an even better time:

[video=youtube;6IVAeYNRdM4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IVAeYNRdM4[/video]

It says "attempt #4" since it was my fourth upload of this race, but this actually took dozens of tries and exploded SRVs to achieve.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Except, and correct me if I'm wrong, in Tiny Wings you're trying to land on the back (downwards sloping) side of each hillock, whereas in SRV racing the ideal seems to be to just clip the top of the hillock.

If you can stay low, yes. But if you've managed to arc up several hundred meters, downslopes are still important so you can land softly enough to maintain control and not take (too much) damage.

Last edited:
<cool vid>
great to see the buggy going over 100.

Update to leaderboard
BB2_LB02b.jpg

4 new entries.
Aken B improves his time slighty in both the Border run and Jailbreak classes but stays in 2nd place.
Orange sheets drives the 'Folsom train' off the tracks and makes an improvement on his time to move up to 5th in jailbreak.
Stern winter leaps off the bottom with 'Ice breaker' to 7th in Jailbreak.
Drakhyr gets behind the wheel and spins out of control in the 'Whirling dervish' but manages to pull it together and complete the Border run class. posting up times for county and jailbreak as well. Igor approves.
Coming toward the last day of the event.. will we see rewision reach wells in 15 minutes? will terrosidic post up a buggy name and do a run before the timer runs out ?
can Oz avoid the thargoids for long enough to reach Ao Kang in time and will VJ violate us all .. we can only hope. stay tuned.

Last edited:
I've never driven an AWD in real life (well, I could call my car an AWD, but in the sense of Awful Wheels Drive :D) , but from all my years spent with simulations it seems a pretty consistent behaviour, so that should be a nice thing.

I actually think the SRV is front wheel drive only.

But has 6 wheel steer (front 4 and rear 2), which is where I think the crazy steering handling comes from.

4 wheel steer (well 6 in this case) is awesome at low speed, but is an absolute nightmare at high speed.

We really should have a function menu option to turn off 4 wheel steer to allow us easier control at high speed.

I actually think the SRV is front wheel drive only.

But has 6 wheel steer (front 4 and rear 2), which is where I think the crazy steering handling comes from.

4 wheel steer (well 6 in this case) is awesome at low speed, but is an absolute nightmare at high speed.

We really should have a function menu option to turn off 4 wheel steer to allow us easier control at high speed.

I've always felt that the SRV's awful handling had to do with it being very heavy on the back end, relative to the front. The rear of the thing always wants to swing downhill. But I could see it being the result of an independent wheel steering mechanism, too.

In any case, additional attempts made and aborted. I just can't find a groove today, and I am absolutely despising the new rock collision mechanics.

Last edited:
I'm learning a lot from. This race and all your comments. I just completed my first finish of 1:25 to find that someone shaves a whole hour off that already. I nearly laughed to I cried!

But the next run is going to be much better...

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well it was certainly not an auspicious start to my run that's for sure. It took me 5 minutes to find the starting point... and then while leaving the base I had an... altercation with a skimmer.
[video=youtube_share;HKTPknqlsmg]https://youtu.be/HKTPknqlsmg[/video]

That cost me a chunk of time and 25% of my hull. Surprisingly my Jailbreak and County Line sections went rather well, but I then lost a lot of time in the remaining course mainly due to smegging tiny little pebbles, that cost me 20% of my hull (even with the 50% hull bonus) they have gotten massively out of hand. Then of course I got to Wells and realised I didn't know what we were supposed to do at the end [wacky] Alt+Tab, check out the thread, spend 1 minute trying to find any docking bay...

It was good to get back in the SRV in anger though and it is really noticeable how much the driving has changed. And at least I know I can improve my time.

Sounds like a challenge. I like challenges*.

Back on the subject of the srv's traction, I'm pretty sure it's at least 4WD, if not AWD. Lots of times I found myself stuck on some of those flat big rocks or other little cliffs, front wheels in the air, and I could unstuck my way out on the remaining wheels. On the opposite, if it was a RWD only, while climbing a steep hill on low-g you would go front-up at every sudden acceleration, given that the Scarab has an acceleration that not even a Huracàn. But we can do a little "turtle test" on it for a check. Put the thing on its back, wheels in the air, give full throttle and go on external camera to see which wheels are spinning.

* never won one in my entire life actually, but who am I not to try everytime? I think you can sleep safe!

Update end of day 2
BB2_LB02C.jpg

Just one submission for the end of day 2 , Ozric made it to the course in the 'Little Blue Dune buggy' putting in a great performance for all 3 classes
2nd in Jail break , 2nd in County line and 3rd in Border run. Glad to have you back in the bubble CMDR. That winds up day 2.
get ready for the last day... we still have some buggy times to be submitted so watch out for the jaggy rocks!

An absolutely terrible morning's racing for me which began with this ..

[video=youtube;JUERP13d-o0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUERP13d-o0[/video]
.. and went on to things like this ..

[video=youtube;-FSrOmyNPMo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FSrOmyNPMo[/video]
.. and this ..

[video=youtube;u4k3AKI-OgI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4k3AKI-OgI[/video]
At one point I even crashed into this ..

Bbzfosb.png
After numerous aborted runs (and a couple that were OK'ish but no better than yesterday's) I decided to abandon racing entirely and instead figured it was high time I actually attempted to break Igor out of jail ..

Part #1
[video=youtube;Pz_oY8VVHUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz_oY8VVHUk[/video]
Part #2
[video=youtube;m0S4_N1td9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0S4_N1td9I[/video]
:D

Oh, and to answer AkenBosch's "turtle test" question, all the wheels spin ..

GHW2kpB.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom