Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Escape Velocity

Thanks @drakhyr for this opportunity.
I did not expect doing so well in the quickly thrown together Type 9.
And i am pretty sure some of these Landing pads, especially the one at Whitelaw, have a couple of dents to fix.

I hope to see some, if not all, of you at the next race.

Thanks to Drakhyr for hosting this great race. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to improve my time because of the usual Christmas business.

Merry Christmas to everyone.

Thanks for the guide @cookiehole !
The only thing I might have missed from your video that might be an improvement was selecting your next system and station destination before starting the race and switching to having Faber Works selected on the pad. The route finder now seems to usually remember your final destination station/planet even though you select another object, so you don't then need to plot another route whilst at Faber Works - you can just hit the key for the next destination in your route.
I think I actually did that. I plotted the first route before I started the video though (probably had it plotted already and had some bad starts before that one), so it wasn't that noticeable. In the other systems I didn't plot directly to the next system's station as I'm a bit scared of the system map's loading time. May have been possible during some of the OC/SC "waiting" though, I'll remember to pay more attention to that :)
Oh. The key for "next destination"? Seems I heard about that many times now but actually always forgot to bind it, thx for the reminder :D

Last edited:
Pure sciencey goodness

Awesome stuff, Cookiehole! Right before Escape Velocity kicked off, I proposed putting together a central repository for nuggets of 100% painite like this so they could be accessed by the public at large while still giving credit to the CMDR doing the work as well as giving some extra exposure to the BRC.

So I give you the Buckyball Flight Academy. There have been tons of fantastic tips and tricks cooked up by the lot of you that get buried in the race threads, never to see the light of day. I've created a thread where they can be collected, viewed and appreciated by the public at large. All anybody needs to do is post a (properly credited) response with a link to the video or post with the sciencey goodness and I'll add it to the TOC. Or, make your post in the thread and I'll reference it directly.

The thread in turn can be linked from wherever, race threads, web sites, signatures to advertise its existence. Ultimately, if there's enough content to warrant it, it can be collected and put on a website like the BRC to help drive traffic and raise awareness of the brand.

Cookiehole, I took the liberty of using your post as a the first link as an example. If for some reason this is not appropriate, let me know and I'll take it down... but you won't be getting an autographed copy of the book from Bucky.

The thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=217933&p=3324752

Last edited:
There have been tons of fantastic tips and tricks cooked up by the lot of you that get buried in the race threads, never to see the light of day. I've created a thread where they can be collected, viewed and appreciated by the public at large.

Cookiehole, I took the liberty of using your post as a the first link as an example. If for some reason this is not appropriate, let me know and I'll take it down... but you won't be getting an autographed copy of the book from Bucky.

The thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=217933&p=3324752

Perfect. I was wondering if it wouldn't be good to create something of this sort for some time now. It seems I've waited long enough for somebody else to do the work, as I'm busy all the time with crashing ships or writing race analysis posts with the same content after every race just to have it look like I would actually do something for the benefit of humanity. :D

Thank you a lot for setting this up, it is a big honour only to be mentioned in a volume created by Bucky :)

Cmdr Terrorsidic returned for his first race since Buckyball Run 6 way back in January, in the self-named Asp Explorer Asp. A couple of very heavy landings on SPOCS 900 4 (and teh repairs required from them!) no doubt slowed Terrorsidic down, leading to a final time of 43 minutes 37.

VIDEO (finally) uploaded - https://youtu.be/EQ-KpJtblho

I'm glad I went with the extra paint protection package from the dealer after those landings at SPOCS 900 4.

Brand new ASP, after just upgrading from the Type 6, so handling and dimensions are all out :eek:
Had never done a planetary entry/landing until this event. :S
Only enough time for 1 attempt before leaving for holiday. :(
I'm just happy I was able to finish. :cool:

One tidbit I find useful for judging the final stages of planetary approaches, that's probably common knowledge, but that I haven't seen described before: You can judge your glideslope by watching the position of the target relative to the canopy frame. If it's sliding up the canopy, you're going to undershoot, if it's sliding down the canopy you're going to overshoot. ("Up" and "down" being defined relative to the surface, here, for people like me who like to fly approaches inverted for better visibility.)

Actually, this works for 3D intercepts, too -- even for moving targets, as long as they have a steady speed and heading. You're on an intercept course when the other vessel appears to be stationary in your field of view. For a moving target this probably *won't* be when you're pointed directly at it, but if you keep it stationary relative to the canopy you'll always be on a direct intercept course.

Top Bottom