Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: Fat Tony's Festival of Racing (30 September - 15 October 3303)

Sorry for the slight delay - RL intervened at lunchtime, plus with all these leaderboards the cookiebots have gotten TOTALLY out of control!

Fat Tony's Festival of Racing - Provisional Final Standings

THE IRONBUCKY TROPHY

CMDR Aken B. made a late effort to wrest the Ironbucky Trophy from Cookiehole's hands, but despite a valient effort which improved his times both in both ship and SRV it wasn't quite enough and the open-unlimited Ironbucky Trophy goes to CMDR Cookiehole with his time of 1h14m17s.

Meanwhile in the empty Cobra Classic Ironbucky Trophy, CMDR Bruski took "slow and steady" to new heights as he spread his Ironbucky attempt over three days, finishing with a time of 73h43m15s to take the Trophy.

Note: As the very sporting CMDR Bruski only wished to appear each leaderboard, I have put his Ironbucky run onto both the Cobra Classic and Open Unlimited leaderboards, as it is a valid run for both classes.

0yb0IvU.png

As requested by CMDR Tannik Seldon, here are the Ironbucky SRV times in Leaderboard #16! :)
Generally speaking the best Ironbucky times came from the best SRV times, but cookiehole, Aken and Alec all managed to overhaul Tannik's considerable SRV section lead in the ship based sections - with cookiehole also overcoming a large SRV time deficit from Aken.

fxOngqz.png

OPEN UNLIMITED CLASS

INkkUXf.png

In open unlimited class CMDR Cookiehole made late runs in all three events to successfully make a clean sweep of all five open-unlimited racing leaderboards.

He was joined in the Station Scramble by CMDR Samwell Drakhyr who refitted his engineered modules to his Cobra Mk III Back of Beyond and the only non-imperial ship to break the 20 minute barrier, finishing in fifth place with a time of 19:58.

Also in the Station Scramble CMDR Crotalus in his Type-6 Tyger and CMDR Perseus Tacitus in Velox Vindex another iCourier posted nice times of 23:53 and 24:35 respectively.

Crotalus also flew Tyger in the Tour posting a time of 36:54, while Perseus Tacitus switched to his Imperial Eagle Inline Six to post a time of 40:14 in the Wasat Rally including a respectable 30:58 over the Wasat Cup SRV course.

nIYDfKS.png

1DZN94W.png

8eXRcMO.png

Uq6x0ZN.png
3NMY8SB.png

COBRA CLASSIC CLASS

UC4xir6.png

CMDR Samwell Drahkyr's Cobra Classic overall lead wasn't challenged on the final day, so he finished at the top of the leaderboard with his time of 1h40m53s.

CMDR Bruski's epic Ironbucky run was split across all three single events, with only the Wasat Rally time suffering significantly, giving him a place on the overall leaderboard as planned.

Finally CMDR Crotalus pleased the crowds by entering both the Station Scramble and Bubble Tour events in the Festival's only Mk IV Goldii.

665fR80.png

vc53IDE.png

TqRpyfv.png

vdQySQB.png
zj7ABjq.png

WASAT CUP COURSE - SRV TIMES

CMDRs Cookiehole and Bruski both posted improved SRV times on the final day, with Bruski's coming from his Cobra Classic Ironbucky run, but CMDR Timmy Brabston held on with his amazing winning time of 10:01.

vPWFloN.png

That's all from the Lonnigan Brothers for now folks, but look out for the Bootlegger Challenge Rebootlegged coming very soon - just as soon as Nuk has gotten rid of all these cookiebots (I'll launch the new challenge after Polly's race, I need a rest and some time to fly around a bit myself :)).

I'll leave the forms open for submissions until this time tomorrow, in case anyone wants to split up their Ironbucky runs or anything.

@Bruski, if you send me a landing screenshot for arriving at Elwood then I'll adjust your Wasat Rally time to not include the 1 day delay as this won't impact the leaderboards.

Last edited:
Wait, was that a possibility? Pity me, that flived completely over my head :D

I don't really know, but I guess ... why not? (aside from it being incredibly difficult and a pretty bold move to even attempt such a thing at the end of an otherwise reasonably flawless run).

Surely there's an opening somewhere around the red circle in the following image ... "all" you gotta do is fly straight down into it doing around 80m/s ... how hard can it be? :p

3EffPo6.png

Is this SRV golf or billiards?

LOL - by complete coincidence my image was named "SRV_hole_in_one.png".

Last edited:
thx :D

As far as the SRV docking/boarding is concerned I didn't think about that certainly elegant 'hole in one' strategy either. For the final plunge I found that just lowering the throttle setting a bit instead of using the handbrake is a pretty stable and surprisingly effective means of deceleration. I tried to slow down to about 60-70 m/s before the plunge, that way I didn't really have to worry about hitting the buildings (but the impact on my fastest run did cost a lot of hull nevertheless; I had quite a few close and certainly lucky moments in that run).

With the amount of different techniques and strategies necessary in the three/four races I have no idea what to do analysis on. But I guess to put it in a nutshell, this event just showed the diversity of the core of Buckyballing: Fly fast, dock faster, scoop hotter, flive high and then put it all together into a symphony of thrusters repeatedly hitting their performance limits, ship hulls vastly exceeding their strength and temperature limits and some rapid unscheduled disassemblies :D

I've put the videos of my runs into this playlist.

And finally a huge thankyou to Raiko for organizing and hosting, even when reading all the scoreboards one can barely guess the amount of work that must have gone into this! I really enjoyed the concept of this event with the different races and the ways of combining them, plus each of the individual race courses with all their variety! Also thanks to everyone who participated and congrats to Drakhyr and Timmy Brabston, Bruski, Aken and Jak. The forum thread was great as always and there seem to be quite a few interesting stories with a T9 on the board and Bruski's marathon Ironbuckys. It has been loads of fun, hopefully see you all in the next race! :)

Since everyone (not) asked for it, here's my Wasat fastest run in true "Alec Turner" fashion :p:

[not lucky with video uploads today...coming soon, again!]

I have also reuploaded the broken video some posts above, should be visible now.

Last edited:
Thanks for organizing and hosting, Raiko!
Unfortunately I didn't get another chance in the IronBucky, but a sea-monster got to do what a sea-monster got to do (including, but not limited to, walking around a whole day with blue nylon tights over my head. (Post #168)).

Things learned:

1. Fliving. I've definitely improved. I'm still far behind the podium, but I AM closing in!

2. Landing, pinball style:
[video=youtube;dH5LoLU678s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH5LoLU678s[/video]
3. Takeoff, kamikaze style:
[video=youtube;t6Z5eFxrxc4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Z5eFxrxc4[/video]

Congratulations everyone o7

I'm also pretty certain Inga would have won the scramble if we used seconds/ton ship.

Last edited:
Oook at last, here's the video you all (never) asked:

[video=youtube;Gi3r3OsDS88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi3r3OsDS88[/video]

So many, so many errors I made...congratulations to everyone who managed to race, and especially to everyone who managed to do it faster than me! (re-watching this footage as well as the Scramble and Bubble one, this time I made it easier than usual to cookiehole and Bruski I admit :p)

Last edited:
I have also reuploaded the broken video some posts above, should be visible now.
Now that's how to do it in style! Hats off :D

2. Takeoff, kamikaze style:
This had me saying "whait, you're calling that minor bump in the slot 'kamik.... OMG, what did just happen?" :eek:
The Belugas are getting stealthier every day :D

Edit:
So it seems like the 3 fastest SRV times all had a crash or span out of control within the first km of the drive. There must be a correlation :p

Last edited:
Follow-on link to next race ...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Club-presents-Yggdrasil-(21-29-October-3303)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi3r3OsDS88

So many, so many errors I made...congratulations to everyone who managed to race, and especially to everyone who managed to do it faster than me! (re-watching this footage as well as the Scramble and Bubble one, this time I made it easier than usual to cookiehole and Bruski I admit :p)

Nice one! I must confess I do like videos of SRV fliving set to music ... can't get enough of 'em!

I've not received any further submissions, or had any mistakes pointed out, so the provisional tables are now final standings. The first post has been updated.

Thanks to everyone who took part and congratulations to all the winners, I had a great time running the festival, next time I'll go for something with a few less leaderboards though.

Special thanks to Alec and Sushi who's random forum comments gave the moments of inspiration that changed the Ironbucky Trophy from a name I'd thought up into the vicious thing it became. Also to the Reddit Elite Miners without whom I wouldn't have found Smeaton Port [Njikan] orbiting that evil little moon. :D

The Lonnegan Brothers will be back at Weyl Gateway in the Alacarakmo system very soon hosting The Bootlegger Challenge Rebootlegged, which incorporates an updated version of the Black Riband.

Until then it's goodbye from Fat Tony!

HK2rnHg.jpg

And goodbye from Little Nuk!

eZz0RwX.jpg

In the meantime CMDR Polly is hosting a Norse themed BRC race YGGDRASIL from 21-29 October 3303, and CMDR Jak is running the BRC Road Rally Racing, season 1 until the end of December.

Last edited:
Many thanks to Raiko and the BRC for staging the race. It was nice, I think, having an SRV section. Even if my flyving doesn't seem to have improved at all since the last one.

Just realised while thanking polly I never got around to thanking Raiko for his race efforts.

Great racing cmdr. Very nice choices from a grav braking point of view.

Top Bottom