Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because ...

The Void wills it !

So I guess I'm having a go :eek:

Excellent ... welcome to Buckyball and good luck with your racing. I'm away from my scoreboard spreadsheet at the moment but I'm hoping to catch up with all the latest results on Friday morning.

----

What was it that Pierre de Coubertin said? "If you can't win, don't enter" or something.

While part of me quite likes that attitude, another part of me likes to imagine that the scoreboard has a further million (or however many) rows below whoever is currently bottom of the table featuring everyone else who has not yet submitted a time.

----

More protests from slow people.

OMG ... that's hilarious. Buckyball Racing Club courts controversy ... I love it. Who wrote that?

Darth Raijiin

Broke his phone.
Excellent ... welcome to Buckyball and good luck with your racing. I'm away from my scoreboard spreadsheet at the moment but I'm hoping to catch up with all the latest results on Friday morning.

----

While part of me quite likes that attitude, another part of me likes to imagine that the scoreboard has a further million (or however many) rows below whoever is currently bottom of the table featuring everyone else who has not yet submitted a time.

----

OMG ... that's hilarious. Buckyball Racing Club courts controversy ... I love it. Who wrote that?

bFwJvP5.png

I think we have arrived, our first official complaint! CCG is going places. lawl.

New attempt, 16:33. I'll be emailing that one. Might have another go or two, but I have no idea how you get an SRV to go 80m/s so I doub't I'll get a lot quicker than that.

EDIT: and now 15:27 17:27 in fact (that's embarrasing)

Enough stress for this one, I think that's it.

Last edited:
this sounds like so much fun and the protests make it worth the run... [haha]
to bad I can't drive one of these buggies worth a $h%t
when I take one out am lucky to get back to my ship alive .... [noob]

the fact I am on my way to Colonia is a little issue also ;)

Last edited:
While I'm travelling to Colonia you guys are having fun as I can see. An article about these religious fanatics made me laugh. Have anyone encountered them at the track or they just throwing words into the Abyss? Was there any action against you while you were driving from their side?
Anyway, drive carefully!

Haha, that's funny. They sprung that religion up quickly.

One thing I've often wondered with SRV racing is how people control their SRVs. We had a discussion around the Wasat cup I think it was, which was where I first discovered why you should always have drive assist off, but now we have a lot more people here.

I tried using my HOTAS for driving, but I just couldn't get used to it. Partly because of the throttle, but also the yaw was far too hard for me to control and correct myself. I now use a PS3 controller, I can get all the buttons I need on there and can use the right analogue stick for headlook (when not using EDTracker) and it feels much more intuitive from my many years playing racing games. I think that you actually lose out a small bit of top speed compared to Keyboard (if my memory serves me well), but I'm prepared to sacrifice that.

I'm particularly intrigued to see if there are many differences among the top of the leaderboard.

Using CH's software, I had already bound the two toe brakes into one axis, which in my ship controls the forward and backwards thrusters, with the right pedal also controlling the engine boost function when fully pressed. It seemed natural to have them control forward, reverse, and braking in the SRV. I use my Fighterstick to control steering, along with roll and pitch while in the air, and throttle's mini-joystick controlled the SRV's vertical thrusters.

edit:

Oh, and I've abandoned my plans to go to Colonia for now. Unless you coordinate with a group or beg in open, you can only have 10 guides at a time. On a positive note, my shiny new Asp Explorer is about one kilo-light-years away from the Bubble, currently carrying a group of scientists who wanted explore about 2.5 kly out in first class accommodations. I was tempted to return to do another run, but 16 million would allow me to restore Slave of the Empire and Haulier than Thou to their former glory. I... kind of had to part out both ships to afford an "A" rated FSD. :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry but I had to quote this, straight from Braben's fresh announcement of Elite coming to PS4:

not only can you fly your ship, but you can carry an ‘SRV’ – Surface Recon Vehicle – in your hold, and charge around the surfaces of planets and moons at up to 100mph, finding materials, attacking bases, or seeking out hidden secret things with your friends.

"at up to 100mph"

6upLjxG.gif

Just a quickie to say that I'm back and will be doing a scoreboard update tomorrow morning (too knackered to do it now but I do see that there's a whole pile of new times to be recorded).

o7

Last edited:
I've made a handful more attempts, no improvement. I'm hitting ~10 minutes very consistently, and I can now imagine shaving off some time if everything lines up just right... but I think it's going to take a lot more attempts than I have time for.

Sorry but I had to quote this, straight from Braben's fresh announcement of Elite coming to PS4:

"at up to 100mph"

http://i.imgur.com/6upLjxG.gif
Yeah, Lewis kind of understated an SRV's top speed by quite a bit, didn't he?

120 m/s just happens to be almost 270 mph.

- - - Updated - - -

Just a quickie to say that I'm back and will be doing a scoreboard update tomorrow morning (too knackered to do it now but I do see that there's a whole pile of new times to be recorded).

o7

I await the results eagerly.

*Gets some popcorn while waiting for the scientists on board get their gear secured.*

Yeah, Lewis kind of understated an SRV's top speed by quite a bit, didn't he?

120 m/s just happens to be almost 270 mph.

120 m/s isn't anywhere *near* the top speed, even if you don't throw yourself down a mountain in the process. :)

My own record is 244 m/s, coming to a safe stop afterward. And I hit 200 in this video.

Those numbers translate to 546 mph and 447 mph respectively. Good times.

Last edited:
120 m/s isn't anywhere *near* the top speed, even if you don't throw yourself down a mountain in the process. :)

My own record is 244 m/s, coming to a safe stop afterward. And I hit 200 in this video.

Those numbers translate to 546 mph and 447 mph respectively. Good times.
So you can outrun a boosting T9 in a SRV? (Niche scenario, admittedly.)
I'll have to watch that video when I've time tomorrow. My record is still 48m/s (although I have improved my time, it is to some extent due to spinning out less).
There needs to be sonic booms in this game (once we have atmospheric landings, naturally, though it could be interesting when in a starport).

Darth Raijiin

Broke his phone.

"at up to 100mph"

6upLjxG.gif

LMAO! :D 100MPH is what I do out of the garage. I don't think he has seen the Candy Crew Guild's times or speeds.

Last edited:
300 posts - wow!

Scoreboard? no sorry, not yet, I just wanted to bag post #300 ... it's coming, need more coffee first.

** flicks through last night's Ed and Adam SRV racing livestream while gulping down sweet caffeine **

OK team Candy Crew, you can relax, I don't think team Frontier are going to be too much of a threat!

[video=youtube;T_BH1yOpX9I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_BH1yOpX9I[/video]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom