Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Prison Brake (07.08.3303 - 13.08.3303)

Whelp! Somehow it must have slipped away from the list...just remind me of the python in the notes when you submit. Sorry my bad.

Had a terrific afternoon's racing, really started to feel like I've nailed these approaches and landings now. Only problem is the damn obscured jump away from Barcelo and the necessity to jump into SC and skirt around the planet first. Feels like that costs at least a minute which basically means I can't even get close to my previous best time. Fingers crossed for a final window of opportunity tomorrow. Happy racing everyone!

Had a terrific afternoon's racing, really started to feel like I've nailed these approaches and landings now. Only problem is the damn obscured jump away from Barcelo and the necessity to jump into SC and skirt around the planet first. Feels like that costs at least a minute which basically means I can't even get close to my previous best time. Fingers crossed for a final window of opportunity tomorrow. Happy racing everyone!
Yeah. I had a run that was almost perfect today, but that obscured launch cut into the improved score, and then a 35s drop from SC to Kelleam Ring destroyed what was left. :/

Sadly, I forgot to turn off my face and HOTAS recording, but CMDR Perseus Tacitus gives us some idea of how fast the couriers flying around are.
[video=youtube_share;szTKXHJ9Tqs]https://youtu.be/szTKXHJ9Tqs[/video]
Skip to 1:00 for launch, and don't blink!

Last edited:
Posting late as usual, but here's the SpaceBear soundtrack for this race:

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
AC/DC - Jailbreak
Motorhead - Stay Out of Jail
Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
The Clash - Jail Cell Doors
Elvis Presley - Jail House Rock
Soundgarden - Rusty Cage
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues

And another spectator video, this time of Cmdr drakhyr arriving (sorry, it's not great and I didn't follow the ship in to land because I started to suspect it might be an npc).

[video=youtube_share;_kM--LMvIqw]https://youtu.be/_kM--LMvIqw[/video]

Managed a 16:12 this morning with an obscured jump from Barcelo to Slink's Eye which cost me around 50secs using SC to clear it so I'm counting that as a 15:22 in my head. Rumour has it that clear jumps cycle around once every couple of hours so I'll be trying again later hopefully.

Last edited:
Sadly, I forgot to turn off my face and HOTAS recording, but CMDR Perseus Tacitus gives us some idea of how fast the couriers flying around are.
Skip to 1:00 for launch, and don't blink!

Did a barrel roll for style points, then realized I probably should have locked the destination system before launch...
Oh well,
ricky-bobby.jpg

Double Launch video coming here:

https://youtu.be/DqcVY8_XYQY

Skip to 2:55 for launch, will edit later.

Add any piece of Battlestar Galactica (remake) action soundtrack to this and it's perfect.

I'm back from my Saturday adventures on the surface of a lovely ELW (procedural gen and drawing distance set to max, SMAA 8x)
wGaaPPT.jpg

Wrapping up the several submissions from yesterday, update coming soon.
13 hours before deadline, last chances to give your best pilots!

Last leaderboards update of the race before tonight's (or afternoon, morning, whenever, just look out your windows and see if there's still light) deadline. I'd like to remind any late participant that 13th August 23:59:59 server time is the last moment available to start a run.

Let's take a look at all the action that went on in the last hours:

n1d3FSF.png

In the Eagle Regular class, cmdr Stern Winter continues to be the undisputed leader of the race, with cmdr Bruski managing to narrow the gap by 14 seconds with an improved run in his Sparkling Cinder, but still 12 seconds away from posing a danger to the Burning Penguin. In the meantime cmdr Drakhyr bested his previous run in the Stop That Pigeon by a wide 32 seconds margin, resulting in him and cmdr Polly currently sharing the exact same time of 19:40.
The board also sees three new entries, all queing up behind cmdr Loulou230 in an orderly fashion: starting from the bottom we meet newbie (to our races, at least) cmdr Kietrax and his insanely fancy looking The Flaming Freagle with the final time of 27:06 (it's understandable that you didn't see how people could do this in sub-20 minutes. People this fast are usually hard to see anyway :p). Up a notch in the rankings but overall 4 minutes faster we find cmdr Tannik Seldon and his Wee Mad Arthur, doing a full round-trip to Kelleam Ring in 23:07; the pilot subsequently reported his run as going "very badly", but all of us at Race Direction (all one of us, precisely) agree that being that a run started from Kelleam and ended at the same place, it didn't go nearly as bad as it could. Keep your spirit up cmdr, and keep your glass full of spirits at The Tipsy Damsel!
Finally, placing in 6th position between Loulou320 and Tannik we welcome another new entry of the race, cmdr Jintosh in his Eagle Slip Shod, completing his first submitted run with a respectable time of 22:22.

CJsGj9w.png

The Open Unlimited class saw a bit more action, with an improved time (and boy, what an improvement!) and five new pilots submitting their runs. Starting from the bottom we have cmdr jumpingclear, bringing his jack-of-all-races Hauler JOE on a complete tour of the three penal colonies in a very good 19:02. Just above him on the leaderboard, cmdr Perseus Tacitus takes 10 seconds less to complete his run in the Courier Velox Vindex, thus claiming the 10th place. Another step above to 9th place it's cmdr Raiko's turn, deploying his venerable Buckyball runner Asp The Nomad around the dangerous racing course and bringing home a solid time of 18:30 after a breathtaking run. The ship endured minor structural damage, but we all know the Asp X is an adventurer's ship and a though nut to crack.
Continuing with the new entries we salute cmdr Azzie Elbub and his yellow Keelback Rubber Duck, securing a mid-table 7th position with a time of 17:56, something worth taking note of when made in a Keelback, a ship widely known for not being exactly a natural born racer. Good work with that, cmdr! We also ought to commend cmdr Azzie for being a good samaritan in addition to a capable racing pilot, having responded to a distress call during one of his tentative runs and this way managing to rescue five stranded escape pods, only survivors of a shipwreck. The five occupants turned up to be high-profile foreign dignitaries on a rather important business trip, and cmdr Azzie reported of them as being "not overly enthusiastic" at first of being delivered to a backwater starport like Kelleam Ring. It appears like giving them the concession of taking advantage of the Buckyball's open bar tab at the "Damsel" has settled down most of their concerns though. Good work with that also, cmdr!
Above him and in 6th position we find another surprising ship, non other than a Python going by the name of Pythia, managing a stunning 17:50 thanks to cmdr crotalus' skillfull piloting. Now, just sitting above cmdr crotalus we should find cmdr Samwell Drakhyr and his familiar Back Of Beyond, but instead he saw fit to show what the good ol' Cobra Mk III can truly be capable of and aimed straight for the top, claiming the preliminary first position in the class by just one second over cmdr Jak's already brilliant performance!
Will we see any more fights for the podium positions before the nearing end of the race, or will the Gods of orbital mechanics conspire against?

Last edited:
Well, I just had the window of opportunity I've been praying for (with no obscured jumps) and managed 5 runs before it closed again (at approx. 18:55 UK time). The best run I had was 16:10. So 15:54 remains my fastest time and I shall accept whatever final place that leaves me in, safe in the knowledge that I wasnt robbed of a better place by an obscured jump. It's been fun! Congrat's to the eventual winners whoever you may be.
o7

Last edited:
Top Bottom