Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents The Lion's Back (2 - 10 September 3303)

Evening update for you:

In Open Unlimited, resolution of technical issues with the evidence submission has confirmed that in typical form Cmdr Bruski has taken the lead in the Diamondback Explorer RazorBear, with a gap of over a minute despite a minor incident of missing the mailslot on arrival back at Elgin Hub. On the course just over an hour later, Cmdr ZX Spectrum found a little extra speed in Henry Gordon Jago to improve his time by some sixteen seconds. Coming in close behind (though not quite so close, thanks to ZX Spectrum's improved time) we find the first entry from Cmdr Ikaru Sulu, piloting another Asp Explorer, Rationicia, to a time of just under 15 minutes.

lionsback_sep03pm_open.jpg

Cmdr Bruski also made an entry in a Regulation Adder, with The Pakistani Ambassador returning following its rather toasty appearance in The Aquarian Job. This run wasn't quite so successful (Bruski offers this tip to other pilots: "Don't hit Chertan 2, it's very solid"!), slotting in nearly a minute behind Jak's pace-setter. Finally for today we welcome back Cmdr Jintosh (whose attitude in the post above this one we highly applaud!) in Rose Raiona, a ship that can only be described as pink. Very pink. And I haven't seen the outside of it yet, that's just going from the engine thrust, weapons, and HUD... Rose Raiona is a little way behind the pack for now, but with a week of racing still to go there is plenty of time for that to change.

lionsback_sep03pm_adder.jpg

The first entry came from Cmdr Jak, which was only expected since he'd been hanging around the course since Thursday!
I wouldn't say that's entirely true. During that time I also bought a Beluga Liner in honor of my daughter and our recent visit to Shedd Aquarium.
TQ0VdKY.png
And I made half a dozen trade runs in the latest CG. :)

I was hoping I could give the Dolphin legs with the fuel management, but it's just not going to be enough is it? Hmmm. Will have to see what else I can put together.

Rose Raiona, a ship that can only be described as pink. Very pink. And I haven't seen the outside of it yet, that's just going from the engine thrust, weapons, and HUD... Rose Raiona is a little way behind the pack for now, but with a week of racing still to go there is plenty of time for that to change.

She wears the Rose pirate skin... ;-)
https://www.frontierstore.net/media...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/a/faction1_04.png

I'm going to find it hard to shave those four minutes off, though running on fumes doesn't seem to be the way as my runs were about a minute longer, but that is where the race is going to be interesting. I know my approaches are taking too long, as is the amount of time I spend scooping, so I'll be trying more gravity breaking and a full-to-empty run to try and help things. Not waiting for heat to drop to ~50% before hitting supercruise might be usefull too (in normal flight I let things cool to ~40%...)

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. During that time I also bought a Beluga Liner in honor of my daughter and our recent visit to Shedd Aquarium.And I made half a dozen trade runs in the latest CG. :)

:O

I loved the Shedd growing up! It was one of my favorite birthday destinations, and I even got to go to a science camp there once.

My sister and I actually got stuffed belugas one trip there, which we treasured for years. :D

wSL0ZkY.jpg

oe3eYHe.jpg

I even saw a thargoid once!

DAKSuCZ.jpg

Last edited:
OK, guess this had to happen sooner or later. (And thank you to the helpful soul pointing this out to me, as I don't follow these forums.)

Intent to race:
Regulation Adder
J Fox
Horingsman
Adder

I have to do this in the Beta though (because), unless there is reasonable suspicion that this gives me an unfair advantage (I don't see any reason for that).
I should be able to find some time for two or three serious attempts during the week. I've already done a casual scouting trip to receive a general impression of the sights. Should be fun.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Sometimes I frustrate myself immensely :)

Today's possibly the only day I'll get to race during the week, but I haven't been to any of these systems before, and I can't visit them if I don't scan them. I can't have Visited Stars on my map that I haven't explored, it does my head in [wacko]

So I've planned my route, fitted a DSS, knocked down the Distributor a notch to make the jump range almost identical and I'm flying the route to scan the systems first...

[weird]

Once more into the breach o7

Intent to race:

Cmdr: JustcallmeWendy
Regulation Adder
Ship Name:The Wendy V

Yay, welcome back Steve, great to have you aboard once again!

Have you checked the loadout..? :p

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Well...

Only 2 systems I hadn't visited before, so that's only 2 main stars not scanned I have to deal with...

I didn't quite appreciate getting within 200 meters of an Asteroid Belt... 200m!?! Sadist!

I got interdicted! Always get interdicted when I'm racing.

Still for a first go I managed a fairly reasonable time, I can knock a reasonable amount off it I reckon, especially if I can avoid interdictions and flying full speed at an Asteroid Belt thinking, yeah I'll get within 200m and be able to pull a screenshot off the vid.

Mind you, these Adders really don't hold the heat well

17rVkprh.jpg

And welcome to all the newcomers, I hope you all have a blast. Any questions, just ask, we're a friendly bunch :)

Welcome to the BRC cmdr Hossi, it was nice meeting you at the CG. :)

Also welcome to J Fox and welcome back Steve.

Fly fast cmdrs!

[…]I have to do this in the Beta though (because), unless there is reasonable suspicion that this gives me an unfair advantage (I don't see any reason for that).[…]
Well, about that …

I tried to take a closer look at the various parts of the course just now. But the option to start the Beta was gone, and the Launcher tells me that it is now closed. I'm afraid this means that my intent to race will have to remain just that – the intent at the time. From my current position in the normal game it would take more than 1800 jumps to get there. And even if I were so inclined, I certainly couldn't do that in time to show up for the race. Bad luck, I guess.
Of course, I suppose I could hand in my slowish scouting trip – I'd have to check whether it fulfils all the requirements, but I believe so. I am just not sure whether I feel comfortable with that.

Only one (valid) new entry so far today, as Buckyball newcomer Cmdr Hossi records his first time in the Asp Explorer Red Racer, albeit with what probably wasn't the optimal order of waypoints. In the process Hossi has proved the minor challenge of using Resource Extraction Sites as waypoints when the commander's HUD isn't in English... thankfully the info I actually need on location is in the bottom right and still shows up as "Regulus 1 B Ring" :)

lionsback_sep04_open.jpg

A special welcome to newcomers Cmdrs J Fox and Hossi, as well as all the returning racers.

OK, guess this had to happen sooner or later. (And thank you to the helpful soul pointing this out to me, as I don't follow these forums.)

I have to do this in the Beta though

Running in the beta may be a challenge, given that the beta ended this morning...
For info on future races, while the race threads are posted here on the forums you can also keep informed through our website and/or Discord channel, and (as with this race) we occasionally get a mention in FD's weekly newsletter.

I'm going to find it hard to shave those four minutes off, though running on fumes doesn't seem to be the way as my runs were about a minute longer, but that is where the race is going to be interesting. I know my approaches are taking too long, as is the amount of time I spend scooping, so I'll be trying more gravity breaking and a full-to-empty run to try and help things. Not waiting for heat to drop to ~50% before hitting supercruise might be usefull too (in normal flight I let things cool to ~40%...)

Supercruise is where the biggest difference can be made. In case you haven't seen it already, the instructional video I produced a couple of races back may be of interest. As for heat when scooping and starting to jump - I remember when I used to wait for the heat to drop, before I realised it isn't necessary - to be safe you just need to have got far enough from the star that the heat isn't going up. In a race like this, I wouldn't bother with safe, the course isn't long enough for a little heat damage to be a problem (remember, you only need 80% of your FSD, 80% of your thrusters and 1% of your hull to complete your race without slowing down!) :)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Note how Drakhyr used the words "valid new entry"

*coughs*

So as a distraction from my transgression... We've all heard of Asps in front of things, well I have a new one of Asps in the way of things.

[video=youtube;CklngSElMug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CklngSElMug[/video]

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I made a first attempt yesterday but had to realize that my refurbished VIP-Sightseeing ASPX wasn't really up to the task. So today I build myself a new racing machine. At least it looks fast, but currently I'm still struggling with the 20 minute mark.
But I'm still learning. Todays lesson: It's much worse to hit that belt in 'normal' space than in supercruise. (Also: make sure you dont't pick that one res-Site that is in the shadow of the planet).

Just now im starting to realise, that these 5A-DD5 thrusters are not really suitable for this kind of race. A 4A is much lighter and I can downgrade the powerplant as well. But yeah, the key is: My braking sucks. I'm working on it.

mysoVJg.jpg

Last edited:
Mind you, these Adders really don't hold the heat well

Don't hold heat well?! They hold it great!

[video=youtube;sU58aaYHwKQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU58aaYHwKQ[/video]

It's getting rid of it they're bad at. :D

Drakhyr already gave some good tips, but as he said, in this race you can probably entirely ignore your heat. I wouldn't even blink at hitting 150%, the chances of significant damage at that level are pretty low, unless you hold it there for a long time.

If you dive and scoop, you shouldn't need to spend *any* extra time scooping, especially with the MASSIVE fuel tank provided by the Regulation Adder. *glares at Drakhyr* :p

I'll PM you a video with some of the supercruise approaches, mine obviously aren't perfect, but the standard loop and swoop approach works well for most of these destinations, the Belt Cluster excepted, because those things are *weird*.

Top Bottom