Bug, Feature or Spongebob?

20190211214039_1.jpg

So just discovered an Earth Like world and stopped for some selfies - but the start, as Bowie once said, look very different today!

Assuming my upload has worked, can you take a look at the screen shot and tell me if the start really look like this our here, or is there some rectangular container of stars waiting to be shaken out?!

Lo (that's Australian o7)

SirMaxxx

Cubes of stars like this are fairly common in-game because of how the galaxy is generated. The problem is that as the star density increases towards the core, the B-class stars also get denser, and can be seen from quite a distance away. These stars are generated in 160LY cubes, so if the difference in density between adjacent cubes is large, the border is very visible.

The brighter stars are generated in bigger cubes, but are sufficiently low density that the borders are never that obvious - while the dimmer stars are generated in smaller cubes but can't be seen from as great a distance so the edges generally can't be seen from far enough away to make them obvious.

Fixing it would involve completely starting over with the galaxy generation, which isn't practical now. They could in theory work around it by adjusting the draw distance for B-class stars, but then lots of familiar constellations would look wrong or disappear when in Sol.

The mechanics behind the stellar generation are really interesting:
RMEQ1Ik.jpg

Screenshot taken from this Frontier developer livestream:
[video=youtube_share;Vz3nhCykZNw]https://youtu.be/Vz3nhCykZNw[/video]

Original post

Last edited:
There are "star cubes" and "star lines" a short walk from the bubble.

But nah, ship it out, no-one'll notice.

Star cubes no, they only appear with large density disparities, which you don't find around the bubble.
Star lines are normal, they're the result of relying on real star catalogues. Which is funny since you were complaining about 'algorithms' a second ago.

Last edited:
Star cubes no, they only appear with large density disparities, which you don't find around the bubble.
Star lines are normal, they're the result of relying on real star catalogues. Which is funny since you were complaining about 'algorithms' a second ago.

Fairly sure I've seen them and the furthest out I've ever been was to unlock Palin.

But I'm sure you'll find a way of casting that as "normal" too.

And when you get closer to SagA the stars disapear all together, at least on Xbox.
Only after a reboot the stars return but after a couple jumps they start to disapear again.

Star cubes no

Are you denying "Star Cubes" or their proximity to the Bubble? Because I have a Twitter feed with plenty of screenshots of very obvious cubes, but as I recall they were a significant distance from the Bubble towards the core (though I think there is a strange "Star Curtain" near the Orion Nebula...).

There are smaller examples of these. I believe they are from raw star catalogs. There are long chains of stars out at the Orion Neb like this. I believe they are caused by intensive research in the area which are not really interested in providing exact positions of the stars, but produce catalog entries anyway.

So if the telescope survey was scanning a small area of the sky and estimating the distance to the stars incorrectly you might find a clump of stars within that area if the star catalog was just imported raw.

The image in question looks like something was scanning that one square area intently and either published a catalog with all the stars at the same (more or less) distance or the catalog was imported incorrectly to ED.

Top Bottom