Build our own Settlements

I like base building. But I don't trust FDev to put out a decent one without it basically being a mindless grind and an activity for the bored and rich players. FD tends to cater to these players and by now it is basically pointless trying to catch up. It has in fact become an Elitist's game.
Well, it is called "Elite", innit?
All of those poor n00bs will never catch up either, unless thay actually play, that is. (my 4th account is progressing nicely, so it doesn't appear to be that hard)

I can see why FDEV kept them separate, I suspect there would be a few issues if they tried to integrate on foot mats and missions deep into the ship part of the game, and vice versa, issues of the bug type I mean, keeping them separate means that if any issues arise they are basically dealing with a different code area that shouldn't impact the other part of the game.

Indeed.
I would really hate to see my material rewards from on-foot missions dedicated to on-foot upgrades getting diminished because they added ship materials to the mission rewards.

The only thing i would like in terms of integration between on-foot and on-ship would be the possibility to access on-foot mission board from my ship and the other way around.

The only thing i would like in terms of integration between on-foot and on-ship would be the possibility to access on-foot mission board from my ship and the other way around.

Yes that does make a lot of sense, I mean for players who use their own ship to do settlements missions, having to go to to the concourse to take missions, then back to your ship could be irritating. You know I wonder if they could alleviate that a bit by putting a mission board in the hanger alcove area? I mean ideally it should be part of the ship UI, but if they were determined to keep it completely separate for reasons of their own having a mission board in the hanger area would be a big help!

If they were to add an on foot mission board to the ship, there would still be an incentive to disembark to the concourse as the separate mission givers can give you much better material rewards than the board. There are also already ship missions that can present you with a data port to scan if you disembark from the ship/srv, so it's not entirely separate.

Maybe they could add a mechanism to haggle for the material rewards no matter what kind of mission it is?

I like base building. But I don't trust FDev to put out a decent one without it basically being a mindless grind and an activity for the bored and rich players. FD tends to cater to these players and by now it is basically pointless trying to catch up. It has in fact become an Elitist's game.
I don't dislike base building in a game like Command and Conquer: Red Alert but see it as a waste of our and the devs time here.

IIRC the whole base building rumor mill was started when someone dug into the elite cosmetics store web-code and noticed some tags that hinted some possible cosmetics tied with planetary bases.
No, the leak that they were working on it years before release was what started it. Same leak pointed to surface Thargoids. And when we got the Odyssey alpha, it contained both, and both were still being updated by alpha patches so they were working on them right up until the call was made to slap a price tag on a literal alpha, do a 360, and walk away. Never cleaned any of this up for release. If you know the right people, you can try them out today as they're in your client. At the time, some (desperate/gullible) people were hopeful Frontier was just a bit late and we'd see those features come alive in the next month or two and it hadn't just been aborted to work on a different game with a hard deadline (JWE2), but what was happening was obvious.

I say this in each of these threads, but for me base building is equally if not more about base exploring. In both No Man's Sky and Space Engineers, player created bases adds infinite (you know what I mean) exploration content that takes these games to a whole new level once you've seen all the prefab bases that become pretty repetitive fairly quickly.

However the proliferation of mat types could be a problem. I mean if they started adding suit upgrade mats to mission boards players who rely on the mission boards for ship upgrade mats might suddenly find the number of missions they can take far more limited in a way that slows down their mat gathering unless they take to doing the on foot settlement missions as well.
I would really hate to see my material rewards from on-foot missions dedicated to on-foot upgrades getting diminished because they added ship materials to the mission rewards.
There is already the solution in Horizon : just let the players choose the rewards (credit or powerplay rep or EDH mats or EDO mats).

i would like base building.... there are multiple ways it could be done... either directly, or in directly. Personally i think indirectly would be more the elite way, with us dropping off a group of settlers and depending on how well they were restocked as well as the materials they gathered on the planet combined with environmental issues THEY build and expand the base, possibly putting up via a notice board the things most in demand. This would also be a way to stop places getting too cluttered, after all we would not be picking the exact spot, the BGS would generate the missions to take the settlers........ OR maybe it would be tied to our own exploration so we could only put a single base on a planet which we discovered... with a limited number of settlements allowed per account.

internally would we expect to be allowed to fully customise it? as an option it may be fun for some but personally i think it is going a little beyond the scope of what the game is, but that said, it would be an obvious revenue stream for cosmetics if so (tho that would ruin it for me anyway.... IF we were going to decorate a space in our own settlement, and IF i am goign to have any interest in that at all, it would only be if it was done using items i myself had scavenged in game. if it was a premium cosmetics thing then i would not touch it.

i still havent put skins on my ships that i bought (i onyl bought them to support the devs when i felt the game was going in a good direction and thought they should have some recognition - when they released SLFs and what i thought was the start of ships crew with an npc pilot - sweet summer child that i was.

There are 400 billion star systems and 8 times that, in the amount of planets to build these. It makes sense just to have that as a thing, since it'd maybe encourage folks to venture out more, find their own spot, etc. Like FC's, somehow they should be non destrucable..just apply whatever lore they have with the FC's to that, and done.
Like FC's, it should be there for those that want them...if you dont want one...dont get one. I dont have a FC, but a boat load of people do and enjoy them so just another option for gameplay.

But you could get a settlement, or shack, whatever, and then hold races there...or call it Che^ers, and we all go there on Thursdays and everyone knows your CMDRs name.

There are 400 billion star systems and 8 times that, in the amount of planets to build these. It makes sense just to have that as a thing, since it'd maybe encourage folks to venture out more, find their own spot, etc. Like FC's, somehow they should be non destrucable..just apply whatever lore they have with the FC's to that, and done.
Like FC's, it should be there for those that want them...if you dont want one...dont get one. I dont have a FC, but a boat load of people do and enjoy them so just another option for gameplay.

But you could get a settlement, or shack, whatever, and then hold races there...or call it Che^ers, and we all go there on Thursdays and everyone knows your CMDRs name.
IF they were essentially procedural then maybe.... but if they were fully customisable then i wonder if FD would want the added expense of having to store them on their servers? unless they were outside of the BGS and tied to our own game "save".... but that would cause issues with different players seeing different things.

whilst it is possible, I dont expect FD to allow us to build fully customisable bases however we want, if for no reason other than cost to them. I mean look at the bases we do have in the game..... they are all cookie cutter clones of each other other than a few which FD added in.... sure there is some variation but they are all from a very finite number of building blocks.

mind you NMS manages it so i am happy to be proven wrong.

I can see why FDEV kept them separate, I suspect there would be a few issues if they tried to integrate on foot mats and missions deep into the ship part of the game, and vice versa, issues of the bug type I mean, keeping them separate means that if any issues arise they are basically dealing with a different code area that shouldn't impact the other part of the game.
Ho, no... it's just to avoid that old-timer whales buy all the new content day 1.

So... changing the ui to accommodate a 4th reward type? 😂
Yea, right.

Maybe in Elite 5, ETA 2034
We are all lauthing at FDev's ability to change such... basic... things...

I think to build a settlement a faction has to be registered in the system at the settlement location, once thats done it can start to build and expand. Other can also register the settlements of their choosing and it goes from there.

With that alliances, wars etc can be fought and more settlements can be created for any factions registered (when the population geta to a certain size). If a player cannot keep the supply level to a certain extent then it drops into famine, if it stays at that for a period it becomes an abandoned settlement which becomes part of the background tapestry of ED.

With that alliances, wars etc can be fought and more settlements can be created for any factions registered (when the population geta to a certain size). If a player cannot keep the supply level to a certain extent then it drops into famine, if it stays at that for a period it becomes an abandoned settlement which becomes part of the background tapestry of ED.
These are something like my thoughts on it too.......... i would add in however that abandoned settlements should not stay that way for long.

i could imagine pirate factions holeing up in them which would then generate missions on the BGS to get right of them, as well as people stripping them down for bits (again possible missions to do just that) which would also be a way of FD managing clutter if they wanted to get rid of some.

Personally, I would love settlement building instead of a fleet carrier. The idea that I could build up a base and manage it (like in games like Planetbase or the old Millenium 2.2 on the Amiga), while using my ships to fly in the appropriate supplies to top up and keep the base going really appeals. If you could set up an Economy type for that base and then trade between other player bases, the community could build up a player run bubble away from the main bubble. There would have to be a couple of provisions though;-
  1. One base per player (no X like empire building).
  2. Bases can only be set up on Non-populated planets (including player bases, otherwise we'll have on planet with tonnes of bases on it).
  3. Players cannot destroy or shut down player bases, although they can raid bases and steal stuff.
  4. Only One economy type per base. This would help player work co-operatively to build up a bubble.
  5. Each base has a set requirements each week that need to be supplied in order to keep the base running (i.e. Food for the staff, Fuel for the reactor, etc)
  6. In-order to produce goods from their economy, a set amount of required raw materials would be required (ie Fertilizer, water, crop haresters for Agriculture bases, MIning equipment for mines, etc).
  7. Some kind of research/engineering tree which means that for some of the more advanced buildings, you just can't buy them.
The downside? It is ;-
  1. A Huge Amount of work.
  2. Dav's mentioned something in the past with putting player assets on planetary surfaces.
This is what I was hoping for when the leak happened all those years ago, but obviously it got cut. (That's even if it was being developed at all)

It's not that.
It's the effort vs gains.
Why mixing space/onfoot rewards when it's not needed? Nothing good can actually come from it
What a peremptory statement... Can you say more ? Why you believe that nothing good can actually come from it ?

Top Bottom