Call me crazy, but I bought a PS 4 Pro just for Elite Dangerous

Also just a tidbit for anyone that will be staying with your DS4 controllers. The newer ones , with the lightbar on top of the pad as well, can be setup to transmit across the USB cable instead of bluetooth and gives you a slightly more responsive control of the actions. I have played with it setup both ways and only one a few games did I notice any difference.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
What he said :)

4K and HDR make this an experience that has to be seen to be believed. With HZD being written specifically for the PS4, the coding is pretty close to the metal.

If Elite Dangerous is anywhere near this quality, I'll be gob-smacked (my PC is configured as a workstation, so no gamer video card or monitor - quite playable, but with some visual quirks that were annoying).

As the PS4 Elite announcement came soon after the Pro was released, my cynical side says that Frontier were waiting for the Pro to allow support.

I hope you are right, HZD + 4k HDR is indeed a sight to behold. We probably won't get that standard of graphical performance because at the end of the day that was a single platform game, by a first party developer very close to Sony and coded specifically for PS4 and PS4 Pro.

I do hope that FDev can give us some goodies and at least utilise the extra GPU performance of the Pro to allow higher detailed textures and that kind of thing. Its doable. Don't let us down Lloyd. ;)

Also just a tidbit for anyone that will be staying with your DS4 controllers. The newer ones , with the lightbar on top of the pad as well, can be setup to transmit across the USB cable instead of bluetooth and gives you a slightly more responsive control of the actions. I have played with it setup both ways and only one a few games did I notice any difference.

Interesting, but I will stay wireless and I just like the convenience and to be honest I have never had an issue with input lag or responsiveness of the DS4.

Last edited:
Interesting, but I will stay wireless and I just like the convenience and to be honest I have never had an issue with input lag or responsiveness of the DS4.

With ED, you might want to go wired, even if it's a wire to a charger under your couch. I'm amazed at how short the battery life on the DS4 is compared to DS3. It doesn't make much difference with quick games like Overwatch, but the last thing you want is to have DS4 hollering about low batteries right after an interdiction. Considering that we all might be playing 6-8 hours straight (at least in the early days), this is a likely probability.

ps - Amazon sells 9 ft USB extension cables for a very good price.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
With ED, you might want to go wired, even if it's a wire to a charger under your couch. I'm amazed at how short the battery life on the DS4 is compared to DS3. It doesn't make much difference with quick games like Overwatch, but the last thing you want is to have DS4 hollering about low batteries right after an interdiction. Considering that we all might be playing 6-8 hours straight (at least in the early days), this is a likely probability.

ps - Amazon sells 9 ft USB extension cables for a very good price.

You usually get a warning, and I have 2 DS4s so I would just swap at a convenient point. Never had an issue.

I can't call you crazy, I did the same thing :)

And then I discovered my TV was too small for any text in games, and just had to replace it with a 55" 4k HDR Sony....

LOL..I am also going to get a 4k 55" t.v. ...the amount of text within E.D. is readable with my small hd tv but still I believe a greater screen matters in this game..I just have to wait few months to upgrade to ps4pro...enjoy your new t.v and hope to meet you out on space...

I am sure there are many people out there who brought a PS4 for No Man's Lie, now atleast they can play a space adventure game that wasnt released in an alpha state.

LOL..I am also going to get a 4k 55" t.v. ...the amount of text within E.D. is readable with my small hd tv but still I believe a greater screen matters in this game..I just have to wait few months to upgrade to ps4pro...enjoy your new t.v and hope to meet you out on space...

The hell with vr head sets! For a little as $400,000 U.S. dollars, there's a company that builds and installs custom omni theaters. Gonna need some serious explaining to get it pass the wife, but hey, it's only money, I'm not getting younger, can't take it with me.

I play on a 23" 1080p Samsung computer monitor, but it's right up to my face, like a computer monitor would be. It fills up more of my FOV than my 47" TV did back when I played games sitting on the couch. It's a high-end computer monitor, so while not HDR, it is true RGB, thus more colors than many 1080p TVs, very fast response time, high contrast, etc. Text looks amazing on it because it's a computer monitor :D

Top Bottom