PvP Calling out all PvPers!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
My fellow Commanders,

Elite Dangerous is a sandbox. True? True! We got our toys to play with. True? True! It's totally up to us how to have fun with them. True? True!

Blaze your won trail they say:

Blaze_your_own_trail3352.png

...so why it is different with PvP?? I see tons of posts here from bored PvPers stating there isn't much for them to do. True? True!

I'm awesome! True? Hell yeah!! :p

We have all the proper tools for a fun and engaging PvP matches. Now..., let's build something ourselves out of them all!

Was a guildmaster of a role-play guild for almost 4 years in Star Wars the Old Republic. There were also many PvPers among our ranks. It was the job of the guild's officers and mine to write the scripts and prepare the cyclical role-play and many times role-play/PvP events. I's fairly easy if you keep remembering about few important factors of a successful events. But for this you need to have experience in the matter.

This was one of the advertising posters for our series of role-play/PvP events back in the days:

WAR__TIG_POSTER_2014_small2094.jpg

Have I told you, I'm awesome?? So..., you have me! i have my experience! Let's do it!

I'm not gonna unfold here all the stuff that need to be taken into consideration (e.g. events moderators, matches schedules etc.). I'll be time for this soon (TM). For now I'd like to engage you fellow PvPers to the conceptual designing phase!

Join the conversation, share your thoughts, ideas, whatever warnings that might flash in your heads while projecting such an even according to my preliminary idea as fallows - let's shape it here, run one or two of those, adjust the details and start organizing stuff that will compete with Distant Worlds expeditions! We'll be famous! Though, I'm gonna be always the most awesome, ok? :p

AWESOME PvP EVENT Vol. 1, ver 0.1:
  1. Choosing PvP moderators/officers among ourselves;
  2. Advertising the series of cyclical PvP events on the forums (some role-play/lore wouldn't hurt);
  3. Commanders enlist for the first event on the dedicated forums (need moderators at this stage already);
  4. Moderators keep the list divided into two factions (it may be done, for joining Commanders to chose the faction by themselves, the moderators though need to keep the numbers for each faction balanced);
  5. After lists are complete and equal (50/50) the schedule is formed for the 1st event;
  6. Commanders of each faction arrive at dedicated star system (previously picked by moderators) at designated time, each faction gathers in/around different stations within same system;
  7. Moderators receiving a confirmation of readiness of each faction;
  8. Event starts according to the script!
The script:
  1. Some sensitive data about Thargoids/Guardians secret weapon schematics has leaked recently. Both factions are dying to get to those 1st, as they're willing to use the data to dominate the opposing faction;
  2. The informer was a backstabbing son of a b*tch and sold the info of where the data are being stored to both factions. Slimy bas*ard!;
  3. The informer only shared name of the system, not the exact location. He will send the exact coordinates at certain time;
  4. Both factions gathered their forces within the designated system and are awaiting for the broadcast from the informer;
  5. There it is! The coordinates were received! Both factions are aiming towards same place!;
  6. When factions arrive at their destinations it's already infested with other two parties (this slimy moth******er sold the info to another 2 factions?);
  7. The action above takes place in some low-res/conflict zone site (basically where some Sideys are fighting some Eagles);
  8. Both factions members are picking one side of the low-res/conflict zone official conflict (those sides are predetermined by moderators for each Commanders factions, it's just for us to easy distinct players from opposing faction and have red targets on our HUDs);
  9. The fight begins!
  10. The respawn points for both factions are the stations where factions gathered at first in the system (every faction has a different one - so moderators need to pick a stations for them with similar distance from the low-res/ conflict zone);
  11. During the fights its becoming obvious the data both factions are looking for are not there, but the slimy informer will grant both of them the new, final location, on the surface of one of system's moons;
  12. So the fight is lasting till the signal from the informer is updated (that basically means the fight in this zone is lasting for exactly 1 hour only - moderators are counting the time);
  13. Every respawn of each faction is -1 point to their overall score;
  14. The winner of this match is the faction with the lowest amount of respawns (how to confirm the respawns for each faction? - to be discussed!);
  15. After time tuns out the new coordinates are granted to both factions - it's a lonely ground base;
  16. Both factions are being told by the moderators about the result of this match (for one event there should be 3 matches!);
  17. Both factions are diving down to the moon and hover above the designated groundbase;
  18. 2nd match starts just above the planet's surface! (problem is here how to distinguish your oponent - to be resolved - maybe every attendant will temporary change their ship's name for the purpose of the event?, e.g. "FACTION A", "FACTION B"?);
  19. Again the respawns are accounted towards the victory of the 2nd match;
  20. 2nd match lasts also for 1 hour or so. Whoever party wins claims the ground base;
  21. Last match for this event is with the additional use of SRVs - the party that won a 2nd match is defending the base, while the opposing faction assault it (the target is to defend/destroy crucial base's systems, e.g. power generators, fuel depots, turrets, etc.);
  22. Whoever wins has access to station's servers and downloads the crucial intel!!!
Voila!!!

Next events are picking the story where it was left in previous event.

Fun? Yes! Sky is the limit? Yes! Am I awesome? Yeeeees!!! :)

Comment, add more details, ponder on the potential problems and share your ideas of how to jump over them.

Yup. I'm awesome. Let's do it!!!

You know what else is awesome?

Awesome_elite_015456.jpg

P.S.
Are squadrons mechanics useful for such PvP events? If so, how?

Props Gaarp for actually doing something.

It might be cynical if me, but I would start with joining an existing group and advertising across the discord groups too.

The forum isn't really set up for this in terms of pilot participation quite honestly.

Thnx, but I don't get it then. The forums here are literally flooded with members compaining there is no real PvP oportunities in our galaxy, while you're saying it's just a matter of joining some PvP groups?

Are those groups so poorly advertised then or what? Where to find them? Where to talk to them?

Based on some of your posts in other threads recently I find this really difficult to take seriously. But hey, what do I know?

Have you investigated any of the current player leagues out there? They do pretty well and are quite popular.

The other threads you're refering to and were you and me were oposing each other weren't about PvP. What is it it's so hard to distinct ganking from proper PvP? Though one can assume the lack of the 2nd one may be part of the 1st one's existance.

No, I haven't. Do you know any current PvP player leagues? If they're doing well, why Commanders here complaining about PvP in Elite Dangerous and not just joining them?

Are those groups so poorly advertised then or what? Where to find them? Where to talk to them?

Afaik there are plenty of active PVP groups out there, as a non PvPer I'm not best placed to put you in touch but if you ask the Radio sidewinder or Sagittarius eye peeps they will put you in touch.

Groups do come together to fight too.

What is needed, as you have identified, is for some individual to co-ordinate and do all the background stuff etc etc (you've run stuff, you know what I mean).

To my knowledge no one has stepped up to do that on a wide scale.

A similar thing would be the fuel rats and Bucky's racing club. Both are player driven and exist in and out of the forum for refueling and racing, but to my knowledge there's nothing similar for PvP.

Don't forget, the forum is a largely unrepresentative cross section of ED, with even less participation from the more niche PvP.

Build bridges with that community and you might be able to build something bigger.

Afaik there are plenty of active PVP groups out there, as a non PvPer I'm not best placed to put you in touch but if you ask the Radio sidewinder or Sagittarius eye peeps they will put you in touch.

Groups do come together to fight too.

What is needed, as you have identified, is for some individual to co-ordinate and do all the background stuff etc etc (you've run stuff, you know what I mean).

To my knowledge no one has stepped up to do that on a wide scale.

A similar thing would be the fuel rats and Bucky's racing club. Both are player driven and exist in and out of the forum for refueling and racing, but to my knowledge there's nothing similar for PvP.

Don't forget, the forum is a largely unrepresentative cross section of ED, with even less participation from the more niche PvP.

Build bridges with that community and you might be able to build something bigger.

Yeah. Things in and around Elite Dangerous work differently to what I was used to...

Our guild had a massive website with tons of members driven content, guides made by players for players, comic books with their in-game characters starring, art, YouTube channel, Facebook page, our ambassadors were recruiting in-game on a regular basis, we were constantly advertising ourselves and our ideas on game's main forums and so on and so on...

Compared to all that, Elite Dangerous forums are simply sad. People are bouncing off of each other, complaining about the features which the game lacks and contribute almost nothing in return.

Then there are posts like this one (no offence to the author):

Meh. I prefer organic, evolving and emergent play over those kind of structured set-pieces.

But that's just me.

...or complaining that it's against the rules to use foul language in the in-game chat. LOL!

Think I'm starting to understand why creative players who actually do something are just avoiding this forums...

Anyways, thank you for your time and for your guidelins. Appreciate it. Seems like I'm gonna look somewhere else now for the people to have fun with. :)

Cheers Commander! o7

Most PVP groups now organize with Discord. A little Googling turns up the most popular/well known ones; they usually differ by platform, so you need to do a little research.

"Poorly advertised" isn't really the issue. The PVP community is fairly small with maybe a few hundred active people in total. This can be great because you actually come into contact with infamous types and active groups organically just by flying in popular places in Open. And if you liberally use the friend feature, you'll literally make the galaxy a smaller place and find more PVP because you'll be instanced with them repeatedly.

Organic PVP happens regularly between opposing groups and there's a pretty established hierarchy based on skill that sorts itself by dueling historical records (videos of fights) and an organized yearly PVP league. Other emergent events happen as well like the Salome event, the Overlord of the Galaxy's race to build an AI, and Distant Ganks. The wheel here has been and continues to be invented and reinvented.

Not trying to be rude, but this is a little bit like if I were to waltz into the main forums and declare that explorers need more organized content and then proposing a detailed plan to have a group exploration expedition across the galaxy where we'd all meet at predetermined waypoints.

Based on this thread and other comments you've made I find it highly unlikely that you have any experience in PvP and the PvP community. (...)

And that is comming from a dude which is having a major issues to distinct PvP from ganking.

I’d wipe my cockpit floor with your PvP „skills”. As many times in a row as you’d like.

Shame I never will though, as you’ve newer answered me with your in-game name. Affraid of something????

...to face a true PvP or to be ganked yourself maybe?

(...) Also are you gonna throw a temper tantrum if a ganker wants to take part or lose your mind if someone says a swear word?

And this is comming from a dude that just got banned from game because of using foul language. LOL!

As said above, seems you won’t be taking any part, as a ganker and a cusser is also a simple coward, aiming for noobs only.

And that is comming from a dude which is having a major issues to distinct PvP from ganking.

I’d wipe my cockpit floor with your PvP „skills”. As many times in a row as you’d like.

Shame I never will though, as you’ve newer answered me with your in-game name. Affraid of something????

...to face a true PvP or to be ganked yourself maybe?

And this is comming from a dude that just got banned from game because of using foul language. LOL!

As said above, seems you won’t be taking any part, as a ganker and a cusser is also a simple coward, aiming for noobs only.
It's ok, I forgive you, I forgot how awesome you are....

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom