Camera Suite Improvements: Update Notes

Instead of trying to detect when the camera is inside geometry and blacking out the camera (Tech speak: This was an unsolvable problem for non-sealed/manifold trimesh hitcheck, which led to many false-positives in our current implementation), we now use collision detection to prevent the camera from entering any hitcheck in the first place.

359320_20210711145550_3.png

... 🤔

The issue tracker is for reporting bugs, not submitting suggestions. I'm not entirely sure what you expected. The more the issue tracker is clogged up with incorrect and duplicate submissions, the harder it makes for QA to go through and log the actual bugs.
7 clicks in Odyssey instead of 1 hover-over in Horizons is an issue, isn't it? This is much worse to gameplay than all your small bugs which 90% of players will never see.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
7 clicks in Odyssey instead of 1 hover-over in Horizons is an issue, isn't it? This is much worse to gameplay than all your small bugs which 90% of players will never see.
Actually some of my bugs are very big, like illegal goods also being having the -25% market value tag that stolen goods have. But that's by the by.

Yes the amount of extra clicks is an issue. But it's not a bug!

There were also focused feedback threads on the Galaxy Map, System Map, and Outfitting regarding the UX process on this forum. This forum also has a Suggestions sub-forum. This is the place for feedback, requests and suggestions, not the Issue Tracker.

One last thing. You can now remove bookmarks by clicking the same button that you click to add the bookmark. It is now exactly the same as it is in Horizons because people used the correct channels and highlighted issues such as this. This was fixed in Update 4.

Actually some of my bugs are very big, like illegal goods also being having the -25% market value tag that stolen goods have. But that's by the by.

Yes the amount of extra clicks is an issue. But it's not a bug!

There were also focused feedback threads on the Galaxy Map, System Map, and Outfitting regarding the UX process on this forum. This forum also has a Suggestions sub-forum. This is the place for feedback, requests and suggestions, not the Issue Tracker.

One last thing. You can now remove bookmarks by clicking the same button that you click to add the bookmark. It is now exactly the same as it is in Horizons because people used the correct channels and highlighted issues such as this. This was fixed in Update 4.
Slightly of-topic but commenting on the general idea here in more general way; we need ongoing focused feedback threads, the CM team could do one a week. And CM team should report back out internal feedback so the communication is full circle. The suggestions thread seems a dead end, because we've been told "there's no shortage of ideas internally" and FDev can't implement all the player suggestions (obviously). But there is basically zero evidence that thread is used internally for anything, feedback in the suggestion thread consists of the odd comment from CM team once in a blue moon, but nothing is ever returned from inside FDev. This is sad and that forum could be used to better effect in community management.

Sally is a breath of fresh air, approaching this full-cycle of comms with the community. Hope it continues. Hope to see more focused feedback threads.

[Totally off-topic, but the on-boot UI was complained about during alpha, and while it got a couple of keymaps, the bizarre disconnect from the rest of the game with the "wheel" menu and moving and changing the radar, temp, etc. is hard to understand like most of the UI changes. Use the wheel to pull up comms and other menus that we used to just look up or hit a mapped key to pull up, with familiar Ship and SRV layout and function. And mini-games like PIP management were lost when the existing UI was abandoned.]

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
What was this situation though, Floss :)
The 'Signal Lost' isn't removed completely, there are still limitations, but the system itself is more refined so it happens less and in situations that you wouldn't expect it to appear. Thanks!
Sorry, should have said. I was in my SRV on a planet and wanted to use the camera to look around for bacteria. It did work OK just before that but the SRV was running away out of control. The blackout happened with the brake on?

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, I'll try it from my ship and see if that is any better - it's certainly not game-breaking and I fully appreciate all of your hard work! :)

Last edited:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Sorry, should have said. I was in my SRV on a planet and wanted to use the camera to look around for bacteria. It did work OK just before that but the SRV was running away out of control. The blackout happened with the brake on?

Anyway, thanks for the quick reply, I'll try it from my ship and see if that is any better - it's certainly not game-breaking and I fully appreciate all of your hard work! :)

No worries :) As I say the 'signal lost' still will happen when you go out of range so if your SRV went "weeeeeeeeeee" too far, then it will have hit the distance limit :)

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
No worries :) As I say the 'signal lost' still will happen when you go out of range so if your SRV went "weeeeeeeeeee" too far, then it will have hit the distance limit :)
Oh so I'd left it behind somehow? When it wnt 'weeeee', I came out of camera mode and came to a stop; applied the brake and went back into camera mode, but all I could see was black. Hope I didn't leave the camera lying in the dirt on the planet! :ROFLMAO:

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Oh so I'd left it behind somehow? When it wnt 'weeeee', I came out of camera mode and came to a stop; applied the brake and went back into camera mode, but all I could see was black. Hope I didn't leave it lying in the dirt on the planet! :ROFLMAO:

Gosh!! Ok that DOES sound weird. More of a....very weird bug there Flossy!!!! If you find it happens lots to you then will you drop me a DM please? How interesting!

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
OK will do. I'll test again when I get a chance but currently travelling on King Hankey's carrier and don't want to miss it (again!) while I'm tootling around on a planet. :)

When it wnt 'weeeee', I came out of camera mode and came to a stop; applied the brake and went back into camera mode, but all I could see was black. Hope I didn't leave the camera lying in the dirt on the planet! :ROFLMAO:
I suspect you happened to stop the SRV in such a place/position that the default camera location was inside terrain…

(and yeah, driving the SRV on external camera is also my currently preferred way to look for those pesky bacteria!)

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
I suspect you happened to stop the SRV in such a place/position that the default camera location was inside terrain…
Yeah that's a possibility.
(and yeah, driving the SRV on external camera is also my currently preferred way to look for those pesky bacteria!)
I don't drive on external camera which is why I stopped when I realised I was moving (return of an old bug I think?) and applied the handbrake. I prefer to look around while stationary. :)

Flossy

Volunteer Moderator
Just been doing some experimenting while sitting on the deck of the carrier and have to say I am extremely impressed with the external camera now! Great work! I'll investigate the problem with the SRV when I get a chance, but now looking like it was just a glitch. :love:

Left view:
1PzsW41.png

View from front:
iwNGVUr.png

Underside of my ship:
vLLveBr.png

Zoomed out opposite side of carrier:
XJMLmCr.png

Back to have a closer look at my commander:
IQbSbb3.png

Zoomed out nearer side of carrier:
luZcpjB.png

Thrust down, looked up and can just see the landing pad number:
YtR4j7R.png

Passed right underneath the carrier:
hJ4j4qk.png

Pulled back at the other side and ship is back in view:
HUr6r28.png

Zoomed out along the length of the carrier:
vjcN5CL.png

Zoomed right back from landing pad:
FdhlVSw.png

Last edited:
Been snapping away like a Mad man with the Camera only to watch it say High Res screen shot ticking up to 100 but when I go look where the photos were being stored I find nothing has been taken, was working for me on Thursday but not today for some reason

In the instance of the Camera Suite (for Odyssey because it was inconsistent with Horizons in some ways), the desire for us to fix this from the community was deafening - and all for valid reasons, so it made the priority list with tweaks that were possible within the update 6 release window.
Other issues in the priority list may need more time than the window allows but that doesn't mean to say they're not being worked on until they're good and ready for a future update release window.

As you'll see when we get to update 6, there are other really poignant issues and quality of life tweaks that have been heavily requested previously, addressed.

It's probably the fact I've made a bit of a big deal out of sharing more of a breakdown of how the Camera Suite has been addressed in like a "spotlight", which might have drawn focus away from the fact other really meaty issues and requests have been tackled and that's causing people to think we have our priorities skewed.

I dunno...late night thoughts anyway. I should sleep now, ha.
Hi Sally, thanks for that! That has always been a hunch of mine since, at various times, something is added to the game like holo-me and they dont hype it up, it just happens. To that, yes, I'd imagine things do become priority, like the shield font :) It's great seeing things like that sometimes knowing, if feasible, it can/will get done.

Top Bottom