Can anyone recommend an alternative gaming video recording app?

Another reason why a blue screen is out of the question is that I don't have any proper studio lighting, and the screen if it were positioned behind me on the wall will end up with shadows being cast on it if not properly lit. There are a great many cheap red head lighting sets that came on the market some time ago, but the decent ones that are well made and will last cost an arm and a leg. Also there simply isn't the space in the studio to set up any lighting, it's one of the smallest rooms in the house, so I will just have to make do with the high temperature LED ceiling lights or natural coming from the skylight in the room if shooting during the day. This light is adaquate for Youtube which doesn't have such exacting standards as pro TV or Film.

Last edited:
Problem.

Again, this is a problem with my DSLR studio power systems. The USB powered dummy battery I bought doesn't seem to work properly with the genuine Samsung USB wall charger either, not just my 18650 battery packs. I tested the wall charger with other USB gear and it works fine with everything else. Started a return for the DSLR dummy USB battery with Amazon but they would only give me a QR code, instead of a proper return label to printout with a regular barcode to read at the post office. I don't own any smartphone, so the QR code is useless to me. I tried printing it out anyway, and presenting that to the post office, but they couldn't scan it properly, perhaps because my printer isn't a very high quality one. So I don't know how I'm now supposed to return the USB dummy battery and I'm stuck with having to make do with just the one genuine low capacity Canon lithium ion battery to make my videos with, and that's simply not ideal. :(

Last edited:
I seem to have a bit of a problem with my Geforce drivers account right now. It asks me to log in, so I try to log in, but it won't work. I have a password manager which has the Geforce account email from several years ago and password, but I can't log in with these details. I tried setting up a new account with the same gmail account, but then Geforce say the email is already in use. what?

Are there any other third party alternative game video recording apps that I can use instead of messing about with the Geforce utility that are easy to use and set up that people can recommend?

Thanks - Si
Before I recorded via Gforce Experience I used the MSI Afterburner and even before FRAPS. Have no good recordings made via OBS which is mostly for streaming, not that good for jutst recording.

Decided that the tiny little screen on my 600D is not going to be adaquate, as for some reason the DSLR will only record video for about 12 minutes before automaticallly stopping the recording. Can't seem to find how to change the settings to stop it from doing that. So I needed to come up with a solution that would alert me when the video stops recording, which is displayed very clearly on the screen, and make sure that if my videos are going to be longer than ten minutes, I can break them up into two sections with a cutaway.

I have a small supply of 12V car seat TV screens that I used to sell on the market back in 2015. So I opted to go with one of these. Hunting around both the upper and lower store rooms for a 12V PSU I was unable to locate anything suitable. Luckily, the GNDN is a 12V PSU! So I hooked that up with the 12V TV and it all seems to be working fine with just one problem now:

The GNDN is no longer a legitimate GNDN. Becuase now it's powering my 7" monitor screen, it's doing something as it goes from mains power to the 12V screen which will stand on the corner of my desk.

Last edited:
Perhaps it would be easier if you explain what you’re trying to do?

I’m intrigued by the multiple camera set up and what your going for.

Are you aiming for an episodic series with cuts from your various cameras interspersed with a screen cap of your gameplay?

12 minutes seems a long time for a single shot, especially if you’re running the whole show yourself, when I have tried to do recording myself in the past I have messed up my lines, the cat has appeared, the green screen has collapsed or once memorably the helmet I was wearing as a prop became so painful I just had to stop, well before 12 minutes has elapsed. Maybe it was I didn’t have the luxury of infinite disk space to record hi res and then the ability to edit later.

I think that’s why I prefer streaming with a static setup with 2 sources - the game and a webcam on my face (sometimes not even the webcam if I can’t be arsed) as it is much less complicated!

In any case, keep us posted!

Perhaps it would be easier if you explain what you’re trying to do?

I’m intrigued by the multiple camera set up and what your going for.

Are you aiming for an episodic series with cuts from your various cameras interspersed with a screen cap of your gameplay?

12 minutes seems a long time for a single shot, especially if you’re running the whole show yourself, when I have tried to do recording myself in the past I have messed up my lines, the cat has appeared, the green screen has collapsed or once memorably the helmet I was wearing as a prop became so painful I just had to stop, well before 12 minutes has elapsed. Maybe it was I didn’t have the luxury of infinite disk space to record hi res and then the ability to edit later.

I think that’s why I prefer streaming with a static setup with 2 sources - the game and a webcam on my face (sometimes not even the webcam if I can’t be arsed) as it is much less complicated!

In any case, keep us posted!
Not sure I will be doing much streaming live work, I prefer to edit on Premiere CS5.5. I'm just using the one DSLR to shoot with. Don't have any other high definition cameras available. I will be cutting in edited footage that is taken from the game, but only when I have the right footage to work with. Essentially most of my videos are going to be recorded in the studio with memorised scripts, some cutaways together with some in game footage when relevant. The studio set is supposed to be the head office on the command deck of my Fleet Carrier. I need to wait until Wednesday to record my first video, for, reasons. Won't be wearing any fancy costumes, I'm not a fan of clothes.

Oh dear, it is going to be an adult channel then? ;)
No expletives, Disney freindly.

Well. Spent 5 hours today dressing the set. That is now done.

I've ordered a few last minute odds and ends though. A 15m composite video cable and mini DVI to composite adapter for my iMac. This will allow me to use the second video input on the 7" monitor screen so I can switch to view the VU metering levels on the audio recording channel in Audition. This will be very convenient when setting levels and deciding how close I need to be to my condensor microphone.

Here is a picture of the GNDN:

Most people's fleet carriers in this game don't have an earth to connect up to power. This means that they are very dangerous to work in.

My fleet carrier does have an earth. And so I am safer.

GSDS.JPG

Last edited:
If you try to touch my studio in the wrong way, you may find yourself electrocuted. It's called Elite: Dangerous for a reason.

Last edited:
Wait there! Is brown neutral, and blue live? Or is it meant to be the other way around?
Yes!

Actually I think it depends on where you are and how old the wires and your copy of the regs are, plus things are different if you are using low voltage (240) or three phase.

Maybe measure with an volt meter between ground and the two wires. The neutral one ought to be at zero and the live one at whatever voltage.

Yes!

Actually I think it depends on where you are and how old the wires and your copy of the regs are, plus things are different if you are using low voltage (240) or three phase.
Ok. I will fix that. Seems to work fine with the live and neutral wires the wrong way around anyway, don't know why that would be...

It's about starting up an Elite: Dangerous Youtube channel, so it sort of is related the the game.

Well it didn't really belong in the newcomer's sub-forum did it? Maybe ask a mod to move the thread to the PC forum (which is Elite Dangerous specific) if you don't like it to be in the off-topic one.

Top Bottom