Can anyone recommend an alternative gaming video recording app?

Well it didn't really belong in the newcomer's sub-forum did it? Maybe ask a mod to move the thread to the PC forum (which is Elite Dangerous specific) if you don't like it to be in the off-topic one.
Well really yes it did. Although I've got two really old Youtube channels that are pretty dead now, and that I can't log into anymore to delete, I will still be a newcomer to the Youtubing community when I start up. So still a newcomer, therefore the newcomers' sub-forum is still appropriate for this thread.

And I don't know how to get in contact with the mods to ask them to put it back to where it was.

Last edited:
Well really yes it did. Although I've got two really old Youtube channels that are pretty dead now, and that I can't log into anymore to delete, I will still be a newcomer to the Youtubing community when I start up. So still a newcomer, therefore the newcomers' sub-forum is still appropriate for this thread.

And I don't know how to get in contact with the mods to ask them to put it back to where it was.

... The Newcomer's forum is for people new to Elite, not for people new to youtube, macramé, Lego, or anything else. ;)

If you click the "Report" in the bottom left of one of your posts a box will open up where you can post a message to a moderator - in this case I would suggest asking them to move your thread to the PC sub-forum as it really, truly does not belong in the "Newcomers: Questions, Guides & Tutorials" sub forum. The PC sub-forum is more likely to give you relevant informed feedback and comments and it could also provide a resource to others looking to build a Youtube studio.

HeatherG

Volunteer Moderator

It was moved by a moderator because it isn't related to Elite Dangerous so it would have to remain here @Silaz Carbryck . :) There are many Elite Dangerous players that frequent this section so you should be able to get some advice in this section as well.

Have no good recordings made via OBS which is mostly for streaming, not that good for jutst recording.

The overwhelming majority of recordings I've ever posted to this forum were made with OBS because OBS is one of the best applications for making archival recordings.

OBS Studio is essentially a bunch of scene management stuff that I rarely use, a collection of some of the best capture and encoder plugins around, and a front-end for FFmpeg, which can encode anything with just about any encoder.

Since the depreciation of NVFBC in favor of WGC, OBS and other third party capture tools are now fully competitive with NVIDIA's own in terms of efficiency/overhead and both the OBS NVENC plugin and FFmpeg expose more control over the NVENC encoder than GFE/Shadowplay. OBS' plugins generally lag behind a bit when it comes to AMD AMF, but the most recent versions still have solid support via FFmpeg. Still, ReLive is much more competitive on AMD than Shadowplay is on NVIDIA.

The overwhelming majority of recordings I've ever posted to this forum were made with OBS because OBS is one of the best applications for making archival recordings.

OBS Studio is essentially a bunch of scene management stuff that I rarely use, a collection of some of the best capture and encoder plugins around, and a front-end for FFmpeg, which can encode anything with just about any encoder.

Since the depreciation of NVFBC in favor of WGC, OBS and other third party capture tools are now fully competitive with NVIDIA's own in terms of efficiency/overhead and both the OBS NVENC plugin and FFmpeg expose more control over the NVENC encoder than GFE/Shadowplay. OBS' plugins generally lag behind a bit when it comes to AMD AMF, but the most recent versions still have solid support via FFmpeg. Still, ReLive is much more competitive on AMD than Shadowplay is on NVIDIA.
It's also proved extremely intuitive and a breeze to set up and having all this flexibility when arranging the window tiles is awesome. I've ordered a cheapo 21.5" second screen to use on my gaming rig now. Although it is extremely cheap and has a terrible viewing angle that doesn't matter because it's going to be mounted on a good quality VESA arm clamped to the side of my desk so I can orientate the screen to my sitting position. Later, when I am more in a position to set up my gaming and entertainment rig in the living room, instead of having it on my main work desk (when I can convert the lower store room) and will want a good 32" screen for the main viewer then, the cheap screen may be pressed into service as my main pro microphone booth screen, unless it adds too many sound reflections, otherwise I will stick with the 7" 12V screen so that I can monitor VU meters from my iMac secondary DVI output when recording myself and trying to write, perform, engineer, direct, produce and design and market the t-shirts all at the same time...

Multi_Task.jpg

Last edited:
Update:

I apologise for the delay. I'm having to deal with a few home security concerns at present which are proving costly, and I've had to apply to extend my bank loan to afford all this as well as finish off the pro audio recording studio, so hopefully these security concerns will be ironed out, together with my shirt and tie, ready for recording the first Youtube video for release next Wednesday, not tomorrow now. I will do some recording tomorrow, but not the whole lot. I hope that if anyone has got marketing lined up, it's flexible and can just be initiated at the click of a button or that if there are any deadlines they won't be until end of next month beginning in summer.

Thanks - Si

I'm not kidding this is for real:

I will be going around my local town offering free beer to get people drunk enough to recruit my press officer, and other local Carbryck Corporation Squad members before I go live next week with the Youtube recruitment videos. The press officer will operate from their office on the command deck of the Carbryck Corp Flagship (my studio) and I will operate the camera, and everything else. Don't worry, it's all sorted and under control. Nothing can go wrong now! Trust me, I'm Silaz Carbryck and I know exactly what you're doing!

Last edited:
Ok back to the original plan! Because I have made a few more adjustments to my future plans, now those changes feedback to the present and mean that it's ok for me to present these Youtube videos right now. It's not going to be a problem anymore. Meaning I don't have to go around trying to recruit someone to play Squadron Press Officer, and can address players directly myself. Which will be far easier and more convenient for me as I don't have to write out a script for them to learn, and worry about other people making mistakes. All I need to worry about is me making mistakes, but luckily I don't make too many of those these days, and quite often, if you're good enough you can get away with the odd mistake so long as you pretend it wasn't a mistake, but was indended, then most people will be none the wiser! Or they will simply assume that you are trying to act naturally and that's your act.

Last edited:
Current state of play.

The constant fluctuations in temperature and humidity in the studio over the past two months resulted in nearly all of the cheap foam panels falling away from the wall and the studio needs to be redesigned, to be more fit for purpose. Most likely it was the wild variations of temperature and humidity that caused the panels to expand and contract, which loosened them from the double sided sticky tape that I had affixed them to the wall with. Secondly the weight of the flexible air conditioning conduit brought down the whole shebang, because it was only fixed to the wall using gaffer tape, and needed to be more securely fixed using some stronger better support wire, screwed into the wall. So if a version 2 of the studio is to be built it will take into account these earlier problems and should hold together much better with a total redesign and overhaul.

The other reason for the delay to get all this started up is the fact that my house has now been invaded by intruders, who took photographs of my valuable notes in my notebooks, and thought it would be smart to let me know about it, by poisoning a bottle of cherries and berries fruit cordial as well as a few other things. Also it was a bit of a giveaway who was responsible as they were so irresponsible to leave their presence in my house known to my ADT alarm system, and so are known to me after I returned from the pub after just three hours away from my home.

Other factors that are causing delays are such that for now this project must be put on hold, as something better might come up. And if my online name and identity (Silaz Carbryck) first becomes known as a computer gamer, and Youtuber, this may have a detrimental effect on my future career. So I have to be smart about it, and keep my options open for now.

I hope you can understand.

Thanks - Si

IMG_2339.JPG

I never liked GeForce for many reasons taking up my CPU while going through their menus.. For years with Windows 7 I have used BandiCam and Bandicut saving 1080p HD quality in very small files easy to edit with the basics. More than enough posting quality ED videos on YouTube but you decide.

Top Bottom