Can we have a toggle switch, to change between measuring units?

If it ain't measured in foot pounds per fortnight, it ain't measured...

I can see the logic behind requesting game measurements in units one might be most familiar with, but I was brought up with Imperial measurements and am able to convert 'good enough' to Metric in my head.

Well, these are ships, aren't they? Thus nautical miles only makes sense.

And even the aviation industry uses feet (planes fly at "30 thousand feet", not some "9 kilometers"

Well, these are ships, aren't they? Thus nautical miles only makes sense.

And even the aviation industry uses feet (planes fly at "30 thousand feet", not some "9 kilometers".)
While spacex for example uses metric units.

I like Ls and Ly, but perhaps distance should really be in planck length, just so that we can interface the guardian AI tech better (we don't want another mars rover incident)

qvt1nl8okznnod84zigs.jpg

I like to measure my distances in marathon bars (now called snickers) because as a kid, which I am told, I still am today, I find it very relatable as a measurement unit ....and quite ridiculous frankly ....but then again, think about it .... the magnitude of a parsec is also ridiculous.

S!

Weird as it may sound. Outside of surface things regular people interact with daily, the USA does actually use the metric system mostly. I have not worked in an engineering position where the metric system was not used nearly exclusively in almost all cases since the 90's. There are still idiot outliers. Though I would never expect to see one in aerospace of all places.
I suspect the USA keeps the old imperial measurement system around is largely because of lobbyists for industry that supplies two of everything. Overall for a nation it doesn't make any sense, but selling two sets of wrenches to every mechanic is a HUGE industry.

I'd say that there are many more important changes and fixes to be made (team and multiplayer) than introducing 'imperial units' which are used officially only by the USA, Myanmar and Liberia which total population is a small fraction of the world's population. But if it is important, then I insist on being able to switch over to Japanese 'ri' which is the distance a man with a loaded backpack can walk through a mountainous area within one hour (app 3.9 km). For mass we can use monme:160 monme are one kin (about 600g).

I'd say that there are many more important changes and fixes to be made (team and multiplayer) than introducing 'imperial units' which are used officially only by the USA, Myanmar and Liberia which total population is a small fraction of the world's population. But if it is important, then I insist on being able to switch over to Japanese 'ri' which is the distance a man with a loaded backpack can walk through a mountainous area within one hour (app 3.9 km). For mass we can use monme:160 monme are one kin (about 600g).
We need Hens, Sheckles and cubits, too. Throw in the royal cubit to be complete.

I suspect the USA keeps the old imperial measurement system around is largely because of lobbyists for industry that supplies two of everything. Overall for a nation it doesn't make any sense, but selling two sets of wrenches to every mechanic is a HUGE industry.
I am amazed that there is only one none metric spanner size, I am sure that not all of the UK non metric threads (UNF, UNC, Whit, BSP, BA, etc) had the same size bolt heads. Some did because you would have two sizes stamped onto one end of some spanner’s.

Now I have a much better idea...
Let FDev introduce a dynamic currency system, where each controlling faction has their own currency and, depending on the faction state, the exchange rate (related to all the other factions in the galaxy) fluctuates in real time.
Oh what fun!!...
(Turns 180 degrees and runs away).

Now I have a much better idea...
Let FDev introduce a dynamic currency system, where each controlling faction has their own currency and, depending on the faction state, the exchange rate (related to all the other factions in the galaxy) fluctuates in real time.
Oh what fun!!...
(Turns 180 degrees and runs away).
Absolutely! I recommend the Triganic Ningi and the Pu: "The Triganic Pu is a unit of galactic currency, with an exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu. This is simple enough, but, since a Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Ningis are not negotiable currency, because the Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change." (quote from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. From a lore perspective ('harmless', we should lean towards the Hitchhiker much more!)

Using the above religious argument the measurement system's base units should change several times and be wide open to interpretation. Perhaps variable depending on who we are talking to.

That would make a fun set of measurement rules!
To be fair, that particular quote is from a British tour guide in Israel who did tours of the garden tomb and such. Obviously he was being facetious as are we all.

Back
Top Bottom