Can we maybe not change ARX cosmetics on-the-fly, please?

I'm not seeing much sport in applying ship cosmetics whenever someone feels like it from a game store menu though. Unless maybe you're meaning spoiling the sport of the existing game-play because you'd prefer the convenience of it?

No you see. I prefer to visit a station to change paint - as it is now - over the change we're expecting to get, I support the OP. What I'm struggling to do though is come up with another reason apart from 'a consistent universe' because there are plenty in thread who don't care about that and do want the convenience. Convenience vs consistent is 1 all, a score draw .. what's the tie breaker?

I'm not an english expert but I believe the 'sport' in Winterwalker's comment refers to a person. Like chap, buddy, old boy, tiger, brat, sport.. and so on.

What do you mean? You and others commenting have implied that changing your ships paintjob outside of a starport is violating immersion and I gave you a real world plausible explanation why.
That’s not how immersion works. It’s not about real-world plausible explanations or lack thereof. If that were the case the entire game can go right in the toilet.

Immersion is about having a sense of being there, and a big part of that is establishing a sense of stakes and outcomes with respect to place time and context. When everything is available to be done everywhere at all times in all situations, it ceases to feel like a concrete element of the world you’re inhabiting and becomes an abstraction.

Paint jobs are being abstracted away from the core game experience and it’s being done for the sake of convenience. I personally think the convenience is probably worth the loss, but not everyone agrees on that value trade off. That’s what the conversation is about.

You can’t make up some head canon handwave and expect it to mindhack someone into not seeing the trade off here, because that’s not addressing the sticking point. All you’re doing with your invisible theorycrafting is saying “shut up”.

Last edited:
That’s not how immersion works. It’s not about real-world plausible explanations or lack thereof. If that were the case the entire game can go right in the toilet. Immersion is about having a sense of being there, and a big part of that is establishing a sense of stakes and outcomes with respect to place time and context. When everything is available to be done everywhere at all times in all situations, it ceases to feel like a concrete element of the world you’re inhabiting and becomes an abstraction. Paint jobs are being abstracted away from the core game experience and it’s being done for the sake of convenience. I personally think the convenience is probably worth the loss, but not everyone agrees on that value trade off. That’s what the conversation is about. You can’t make up some head canon handwave and expect it to mindhack someone into not seeing the trade off here, because that’s not addressing the sticking point. All you’re doing with your invisible theorycrafting is saying “shut up”.
Do you feel a sense of immersion every time you pull up EDDB to find out which is the closest station that sells Consumer Technology?

I DON'T BELIEVE IT

EVERY FEATURE

EVERY FEATURE

WILL BE COMPLAINED ABOUT

To be fair, it's the forums.

Also, to be fair, changing paint in space seems mildly immersion breaking.
In a game that centers around a flight simulator.
Simulator success primarily hinging on its immersion value...you know, the ability to simulate.

=)

What's immersive can be rather subjective. I think what's perhaps less subjective about this is the contextual game-play or a lack thereof for the sake of convenience. The latter dynamic is more what I was meaning to point out with the OP.

In a way, the proposed change would be more of an inconvenience regarding the game maintaining an element of compelling game-play, at least for me. I see it as being a bit counterproductive to the quality of the game as a whole.

Changing ship cosmetics on a whim in an in-game store menu – that didn't seem to be a likely component of the sort of game Frontier were intent on making and selling back in 2015. Just saying.

Last edited:
What's immersive can be rather subjective. I think what's perhaps less subjective about this is the contextual game-play or a lack thereof for the sake of convenience. The latter dynamic is more what I was meaning to point out with the OP.

In a way, the proposed change would be more of an inconvenience regarding the game maintaining an element of compelling game-play, at least for me. I see it as being a bit counterproductive to the quality of the game as a whole.

Changing ship cosmetics on a whim in an in-game store menu – that didn't seem to be a likely component of the sort of game Frontier were intent on making and selling back in 2015. Just saying.

You...
Actually have a point...
I changed my mind, the OP makes a sound argument.

I'm okay with the store menu; primarily because it's a pain in the bum having to keep switching to the browser (I actually used my laptop for my purchases so I didn't have to minimize the game). I don't like changing my cosmetics on a whim though (situationally of course, different in other games - in Final Fantasy, you can change the appearance of your gear using a magical item called a Glamour Plate. Weirdly though, you can only do it from your personal room, or a capital city).

Last edited:
If we are going for immersion, then changing anything on the ship, from the paint, to kits to modules, shouldn't be instant either. Should take time, and in the case of paint and kits, have a cost associated with it (modules you can say the install price is already included).

Thanks. For all the good it'll do – likely none – it's still good to know I'm not just barking at the moon here.

Cheers.
Well let's be honest barking at the moon will do you as much good.
Fdev have spent time developing it. It's not gona get pulled cause a few folk get 'i' word issues.

dxm55

Banned
Can my HUD be made of electric nano quantum paint so I can change THAT color on the fly?

Yes this.

Sadly FD wouldn't bother unless they decided that you had to PAY in ARXes to change your HUD colors, or change colors for different portions of the HUD.

Come to think of it, like engine trails, they just might! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you gain a sense of "being there" when you use external tools like EDDB or INARA?

I can see an argument that being taken away from the cockpit is bad (galaxy map, system map, FSS Scanner Screen, DSS/Probe launching screen) and that on a single monitor switching to a web browser might fit into that group.

I don't see how that is analogous to another player swapping paint jobs, which would very much be an in-universe function added for an out of game reason (to sell more skins).

ETA FYI I don't use external tools, only the information the game provides (and my learned experience of course, such as it is). I have multiple monitors so I could use a browser based helper without leaving the cockpit (which I obviously cannot do for the galmap etc), and I don't personally have a problem with other players swapping skins on the fly, although I can see why it might be considered poor form to do it on a whim or excessively.

Last edited:
I can see an argument that being taken away from the cockpit is bad (galaxy map, system map, FSS Scanner Screen, DSS/Probe launching screen) and that on a single monitor switching to a web browser might fit into that group.

I don't see how that is analogous to another player swapping paint jobs, which would very much be an in-universe function added for an out of game reason (to sell more skins).

ETA FYI I don't use external tools, only the information the game provides (and my learned experience of course, such as it is). I have multiple monitors so I could use a browser based helper without leaving the cockpit (which I obviously cannot do for the galmap etc), and I don't personally have a problem with other players swapping skins on the fly, although I can see why it might be considered poor form to do it on a whim or excessively.

My argument isnt anytime you are taken away from the cockpit is immersion breaking. That is perfectly explainable and consistent with the in game universe. My point is if you want to talk about changing your paint job as being "a core game experience" then you also need to justify the use of external software. One of the three main jobs in this game is trading. You even get a rank for it yet for 99% of all players they have to rely on external resources to find something they need. How is it consistent with the in game universe when your cmdr magically knows he has to fly 150 LYrs to find a commodity in a space station hes never been too? It's not. Its immersion breaking and it's always been like this and when compared to your ships paintjob (that noone can see anyway) is not a big deal because trading actually is a "core gameplay feature". I'm sorry the explorers in the group have to have some motivation to return home faster. I really am. I'm sorry you guys are all apparently out there for litteral days away from a port white knuckling your chairs saying oh please let me get back to port So i can change my paintjob... please let me make it back to change my paintjob. If that is your motivation for doing it and not the excitement of finding a new planet or something cool out there you're probably not cut out to be a deep space explorer.

And another thing too. Your not not actually painting your ship when you change the paint job your changing the color. Dont repair your paint job in the advanced tab just let it it chip off your ship then go and change your paintjob. Guess what? New paintjob, still chipped. Why? Well its probably because as I said before its actually paramagnetic paint and all you've done is change the electrical frequency in a way that it now shows as being that color scheme but does not repair the actual coating of paint. This actually would let you change the appearance of your paint without the need of a station and thus is technically immersion breaking that you have to dock to change the color. The bobble heads ok you've got them packed away in a suitcase because they dont take up any room and since we cant physically get out of our chairs to do it it's off screen. The ship kits. Sure. You got me. Its immersion breaking unless you want to say it's a kind of hologram but the paint chips on those too so it's not likely. But you know what that's 2 out of three immersive reasons why. But why can I change my spoiler and blah blah. Well ya know what? Why do I have to use EDDB to find anything? It's just a game guys. There is going to be some immersion breaking at some point. Were getting this. It's a good idea. Theres no point in arguing about it because Fdev have bills they need to pay and if you want a truly immersive way for them to make money they could start selling "premium" ships. Oh yeah you guys would love that. For the low cost of $60 you can get the anaconda mk2. It's got 12,000 MJ of shields moves like a FDL and has more cargo space than a T9. Be glad this is all they are doing. I'm a world of tanks player and believe me. Your lucky cosmetics is the only thing your worried about.

My argument isnt anytime you are taken away from the cockpit is immersion breaking. That is perfectly explainable and consistent with the in game universe. My point is if you want to talk about changing your paint job as being "a core game experience" then you also need to justify the use of external software. One of the three main jobs in this game is trading. You even get a rank for it yet for 99% of all players they have to rely on external resources to find something they need. How is it consistent with the in game universe when your cmdr magically knows he has to fly 150 LYrs to find a commodity in a space station hes never been too? It's not. Its immersion breaking and it's always been like this and when compared to your ships paintjob (that noone can see anyway) is not a big deal because trading actually is a "core gameplay feature". I'm sorry the explorers in the group have to have some motivation to return home faster. I really am. I'm sorry you guys are all apparently out there for litteral days away from a port white knuckling your chairs saying oh please let me get back to port So i can change my paintjob... please let me make it back to change my paintjob. If that is your motivation for doing it and not the excitement of finding a new planet or something cool out there you're probably not cut out to be a deep space explorer.

And another thing too. Your not not actually painting your ship when you change the paint job your changing the color. Dont repair your paint job in the advanced tab just let it it chip off your ship then go and change your paintjob. Guess what? New paintjob, still chipped. Why? Well its probably because as I said before its actually paramagnetic paint and all you've done is change the electrical frequency in a way that it now shows as being that color scheme but does not repair the actual coating of paint. This actually would let you change the appearance of your paint without the need of a station and thus is technically immersion breaking that you have to dock to change the color. The bobble heads ok you've got them packed away in a suitcase because they dont take up any room and since we cant physically get out of our chairs to do it it's off screen. The ship kits. Sure. You got me. Its immersion breaking unless you want to say it's a kind of hologram but the paint chips on those too so it's not likely. But you know what that's 2 out of three immersive reasons why. But why can I change my spoiler and blah blah. Well ya know what? Why do I have to use EDDB to find anything? It's just a game guys. There is going to be some immersion breaking at some point. Were getting this. It's a good idea. Theres no point in arguing about it because Fdev have bills they need to pay and if you want a truly immersive way for them to make money they could start selling "premium" ships. Oh yeah you guys would love that. For the low cost of $60 you can get the anaconda mk2. It's got 12,000 MJ of shields moves like a FDL and has more cargo space than a T9. Be glad this is all they are doing. I'm a world of tanks player and believe me. Your lucky cosmetics is the only thing your worried about.

I think this was covered earlier in the thread; there are already a number of immersion breaking things and this would be another.

For me this is not the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it is another straw :)

I think this was covered earlier in the thread; there are already a number of immersion breaking things and this would be another.

For me this is not the straw that breaks the camel's back, but it is another straw :)
I was really more directing my comment towards the other guy who referred to paint jobs as part of the core experience and the thread in general. Not so much you specifically. I hope you didn't take that as all about you because it wasn't.

Top Bottom