Can we please free slaves?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I would love it if there could be a game mechanic where you can FREE slaves from cargo containers. So, you buy or pirate slave cargo units, take them to a station where slavery is outlawed, and have the option to free them.

Or, maybe it makes more sense to have a faction or station "contact" that will buy your slaves at a below market cost with the intent to free them? There could be missions from anti-slavery factions where you pirate slaves from empire or anarchy systems and bring them back for a reward. Lore-wise: maybe the goal is to colonize a new world with freed slaves?

It would be great role-play! An interesting way to have some pirating missions with a little more honor.

Thanks!

I don't know if there's content in the game yet which could take advantage of this mechanic. You'd basically just be exchanging profit for moral gratification for now. To each their own, I suppose.

Hi!

I would love it if there could be a game mechanic where you can FREE slaves from cargo containers. So, you buy or pirate slave cargo units, take them to a station where slavery is outlawed, and have the option to free them.

Or, maybe it makes more sense to have a faction or station "contact" that will buy your slaves at a below market cost with the intent to free them? There could be missions from anti-slavery factions where you pirate slaves from empire or anarchy systems and bring them back for a reward. Lore-wise: maybe the goal is to colonize a new world with freed slaves?

It would be great role-play! An interesting way to have some pirating missions with a little more honor.

Thanks!
this whole things shows that you dont understand elite "slaves" in ED world are illegal in most systems the only legal forum are imperial slaves which is not the same thing as a slave. lets to to the wiki here for this

"Imperial slaves voluntarily contract themselves out for a predetermined amount of time to earn money to pay off debts that they could not otherwise clear or support their families.[2] Imperial slaves are guaranteed basic human rights and may exercise free will and self-determination, but still have substantially less freedom than regular Imperial citizens. The typical Imperial slave will willingly return to servitude in the event they are forcibly freed before their contract ends." do you get it in the empire it is seen as honorable thing to do instead of the alternatives. ofcourse none of this matter anyway sinces its just a bloody video game to begin with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the merit in this. If you have to fend off some pesky pirates etc. you may end up with Imperial Slaves and Slaves floating as cargo around or with hapless vessels still carrying slaves. I wouldn't want them to be returned to an "owner", nor sold at a black market or fed to Thargoids (unless I have to unlock something for gameplay reasons ; )

this whole things shows that you dont understand elite "slaves" in ED world are illegal in most systems the only legal forum are imperial slaves which is not the same thing as a slave. lets to to the wiki here for this

"Imperial slaves voluntarily contract themselves out for a predetermined amount of time to earn money to pay off debts that they could not otherwise clear or support their families.[2] Imperial slaves are guaranteed basic human rights and may exercise free will and self-determination, but still have substantially less freedom than regular Imperial citizens. The typical Imperial slave will willingly return to servitude in the event they are forcibly freed before their contract ends." do you get it in the empire it is seen as honorable thing to do instead of the alternatives. ofcourse none of this matter anyway sinces its just a bloody video game to begin with.

I only thought it might make sense that the missions would offer below-market rates to "free" slaves because maybe they're some sort of rebel or activist group relying on donations so they probably couldn't afford to compete with actual slaveholding corps. or other interests.

Not every mission is about trying to earn $$. Sometimes it's just good fun and role-play. So, if I want my pilot to be anti-empire (or just anti-slavery, anti-whatever), it'd be interesting to either be able to free or trade slaves, depending on the system I'm in or the faction I'm interacting with. I think it makes sense that in a world where slavery is outlawed in some systems, approved in others, you might have factions that see it as an injustice.

And yes, I know all about how the Empire justifies slavery, and how in-game it's "not at all like what we think slavery is". I don't buy that . The Feds and Empire both claim a moral superiority and will rationalize any injustice if it suits their interests. Yes, it's just a game, but when you're playing a game, it's fun to toy with the role-play aspects. One can be pro-empire and make all these odd justifications for slavery, like, "oh they love being slaves!", or you can role-play to be anti-empire. The idea of having a slave-freeing mechanic is to satisfy role-players who don't want to be fascistic slave-holders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not every mission is about trying to earn $$. Sometimes it's just good fun and role-play. So, if I want my pilot to be anti-empire (or just anti-slavery, anti-whatever), it'd be interesting to either be able to free or trade slaves, depending on the system I'm in or the faction I'm interacting with. I think it makes sense that in a world where slavery is outlawed in some systems, approved in others, you might have factions that see it as an injustice.
ya its fine for you to RP thats all find in dandy for that its another thing to asked for game changes for your rp, Im willing to bet 99% of players would not be intrested in rp the way you rp so why should FDev waste time of a feature only you would get any enjoyment out of.
And yes, I know all about how the Empire justifies slavery, and how in-game it's "not at all like what we think slavery is". I don't buy that
I dont care if you dont buy it thats the way it is. just because you have a chip on your shoulder and cant get past the word slave does not make it something diffrent in game. in the game imperial slaves are more like indentured servents. they have to be treated well and at the end of their service the goverment helps them reintergrate and find work to support themselves. this is nothing in common with a "slave" its more akin to debtors prison. if you stole a imperial citizen and "freed" him he would just hop on a shuttle and return to the person that held his contract because unlike you who just let the person twist in the wind after you "freed" him if he just serves his time he can return to his family with pride and he will have a job to be able to sustain himself. THAT IS NOT SLAVERY you dont understand the lore and your letting your own personal issues influance your gameplay.

Last edited:
They are somebody's slaves if they were stolen. Not yours. As for the slaves on sale in the market. Go ahead! You already paid for them.

Imperial slavery is closer to indentured servitude. Freeing slaves you have not payed for does not make them free. The reasons they were indentured in the first place remain. Their period of servitude remains. Their debt remains to their owner.
Not saying I agree with the practice, but it is the games lore.

Did no one read the Galnet articles last year?

I want to be able to enslave passengers I pick up that make overly stupid demands, and sell them off in black markets. Should Fdev give me what I want as well?

Imperial slavery is closer to indentured servitude. Freeing slaves you have not payed for does not make them free. The reasons they were indentured in the first place remain. Their period of servitude remains. Their debt remains to their owner.
Not saying I agree with the practice, but it is the games lore.

Did no one read the Galnet articles last year?

I want to be able to enslave passengers I pick up that make overly stupid demands, and sell them off in black markets. Should Fdev give me what I want as well?

You can enslave passengers in the X series.....made many monies doing it in fact....

There’s an idea. Slavers offer to convert passengers into slaves and buy them off you during passenger missions. Why not have the reverse, abolitionists offer to convert your slave cargo into passengers or escape pods. The exchange mechanic’s there just flip it round.

@OP, not saying that your request is without merit, but it has been done in the past as a player endeavor...

ya its fine for you to RP thats all find in dandy for that its another thing to asked for game changes for your rp, Im willing to bet 99% of players would not be intrested in rp the way you rp so why should FDev waste time of a feature only you would get any enjoyment out of.

I dont care if you dont buy it thats the way it is. just because you have a chip on your shoulder and cant get past the word slave does not make it something diffrent in game. in the game imperial slaves are more like indentured servents. they have to be treated well and at the end of their service the goverment helps them reintergrate and find work to support themselves. this is nothing in common with a "slave" its more akin to debtors prison. if you stole a imperial citizen and "freed" him he would just hop on a shuttle and return to the person that held his contract because unlike you who just let the person twist in the wind after you "freed" him if he just serves his time he can return to his family with pride and he will have a job to be able to sustain himself. THAT IS NOT SLAVERY you dont understand the lore and your letting your own personal issues influance your gameplay.

I know how the whole slavery thing works in E:D. I get it. I play the game. I've played the game for a long time. You seem to think that if I would understand the lore, I might not advocate for this gameplay? Well, I do understand the lore, and I do still advocate for this kind of gameplay. Definitely not the most important thing I care about, in terms of gameplay additions, but for some reason it's a suggestion that's really got you activated. Your replies come off as kinda' defensive and hostile. Not sure what you're going for there, but it definitely doesn't contribute to making a welcoming environment on this forum

So, let's just disagree on how useful my suggestion would be to the gameplay.

Your replies come off as kinda' hostile. Not sure what you're going for there, but it definitely doesn't contribute to making a welcoming environment on this forum
because its offers nothing to the game except to let pretend that your a "good person" look at me everybody im a "good person" im freeing slaves i thinks slavery is bad.. news flash most of the world thinks slavery is bad. this is a video game and the devs times would better spent on more fulfilling projects. like giving a customizable hud options, or fixing combat pay... not putting in a mechanic that literally next to no one would actually use, just so you can "feel" good about yourself.
doesn't contribute to making a welcoming environment on this forum
.... just because you like your idea does not mean its good and I don't need to pretend that its good just so that you feel "welcome". It’s not my job to make you feel welcome. If fdev wants to give me a pay check maybe that would change.

So, let's just disagree on how useful my suggestion would be to the gameplay.
its not useful its a bloody credit sink and whats the reward for doing and burning your credits? absolutely nothing. get nothing but "i'm a good person because in a video game I wasted all my credits in a pointless credit sink.". you want to feel like a good person ? go outside and do something actualy good. I found a guys wallet and took it to the police. a couple days ago I helped a couple push their stalled car out of a busy street.

thats all your after with this suggestion you don't feel like a good person and you're looking for anything you can find to show that look look im a good person.

Last edited:
Hi!

Thanks!
We used to be able to jettison them on the docking pad and hope they'd make a break for freedom, but they changed the wording in the interface from 'jettison cargo' to 'destroy cargo'... which probably doesn't give them much chance.

Imperials speak of honour yet they stabbed their own emperor in the back, then covered it up. Aishling was the only imperial who was reforming slavery laws but i don't know what her current stance is, anyone?
Antal doesn't so much slave but re-educates which is a brainwashing kind of slavery. Slaves are illegal there but only because the re-educated know no better.
Federation are slavers to though always say empire is worst, even do heinous experiments on many species, some escape.
No real experience of the rest.
Freeing slaves isn't really an option but killing those who partake in it is always worthwhile.
Can anyone comment on those i missed?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom