Notice Canopy Integrity

DeletedUser191218

D
Hello everyone,

We just wanted to bring awareness to a post that was made on this thread here regarding the integrity of the canopy following the launch of the April Update.

Prior to the April Update, the canopy used to break when it was at 50% integrity, however, we have fixed this so it correctly breaks at 0% integrity bringing it in line with all the other modules. Therefore, to maintain the canopy’s current functionality, we halved its integrity. This means that the canopy should be reacting in the same way as before the April Update.

We’ve tested internally and found this to be the case, however, if there are any instances where you are seeing an issue, please let us know.

Is there still an issue with the krait canopy? It was fixed and reintroduced twice.

DeletedUser191218

D
So you fixed it breaking at 50% integrity so it will now break at 0% integrity. If this was the issue that needed fixing then why halve its integrity after fixing the bug? By my math if X was original integrity and it broke at 50%, that gives an effective maximum integrity of X/2. Assuming you fixed it breaking at 50%, then it would have an effective maximum integrity of X. You then said you you halved the integrity, so its back to an effective maximum integrity of X/2. How is this fixing the problem? Before issue fixed it was at X/2 max and after fix it is still X/2 max. Unless of course you decided that X/2 was the original integrity and halved that so canopies now have X/4 maximum integrity?

This doesn't seem right to me either. I get the premise - the overall damage received before breaking is unchanged. That damage just covers 100% to 0% instead of 100% to 50%. But does that mean they previously halved the break point? Why would 50% have become the point at which the canopy breaks unless they purposefully halved the amount of damage it can absorb before breaking?

Can someone from FDev please explain how that happened? If canopy integrity is half that of 12 months ago we should know.

The patch was this week last week was an update.

They are, to my mind, different things an update provides primarily new features or content while a patch is primarily a repair.
To my mind, even following your logic, this game only has patches. And you are the first I've seen to use the term "notes about the update" in stead of "patch notes." Even with that linguistic barrier, I don't see how the timeline and the fact the OP only ever mentions the Update - three times - doesn't make that clear to you. Do you really get this mixed up every time someone uses the term patch notes for an update - that must get taxing - or was it just a troll post?

Which would be fair enough and no one should notice any change apart from the numbers displayed, but....

I have no empirical evidence but have lost my canopy multiple times in my last two sessions, where as it used to be a very rare occurrence. :unsure:
Ditto, and in my case, I was flying a Vulture, no less. Never had that happen before.

This maybe should be checked again to be sure it's as intended; I noticed much more frequent canopy pops after the update, before even seeing others on the forums noticing weirdness too.

Last edited:
So you fixed it breaking at 50% integrity so it will now break at 0% integrity. If this was the issue that needed fixing then why halve its integrity after fixing the bug? By my math if X was original integrity and it broke at 50%, that gives an effective maximum integrity of X/2. Assuming you fixed it breaking at 50%, then it would have an effective maximum integrity of X. You then said you you halved the integrity, so its back to an effective maximum integrity of X/2. How is this fixing the problem? Before issue fixed it was at X/2 max and after fix it is still X/2 max. Unless of course you decided that X/2 was the original integrity and halved that so canopies now have X/4 maximum integrity?

I think what Will's saying is that since the beginning of the game the canopy has always broken at 50%. This seems kind of weird to me as what would be the point in it breaking at 50% integrity and then nothing else happens visually or gameplay wise all the way down to 0. Why would it be designed that way? And if it wasn't designed that way then that means at one point we had 30 integrity and it broke at 0, which makes much more sense when you compare it to other modules.

Maybe you could clarify Will, had it always been desgined to break at 50% from the beginning and was this a mistake that has been around for the last 5-6 years?

Yes, this really needed a buff.

Why not think to yourselves "hm, they're always complaining about canopy integrity and we have this fix to do, why don't we just make all canopies actually 30 across the board? Yeh? Great! The fans will be happy and not tell us how incompetent we are for the umpteenth time in 2019..."

I think they described the problem wrong, using percentages to describe issue hasn't helped.
If it broke once it went down by 15 points to 15, and never went any lower........ then.... changing to 15 to get to 0 makes sense.

But explaining it in percentage terms makes the math not work.

Are we experiencing quick canopy breakage since change?

I've done a few tests now using a C2 rail gun (non-engineered) against the chieftain canopy without module protection and have had varying results. It's not predictable how many shots it will take to break the canopy so seems like there is probably some RNG in there somewhere. I've had it take anywhere between 12 shots to 4 shots but what is consistent is that the displayed health of the canopy doesn't show a decrease at all until breach at which point it shows 0.

Here's the capture from the test when it took 4 shots to breach and you can clearly see it goes straight from 100% health with no visable cracks, to breached and 0% health within the space of one shot. This doesn't quite seem right to me. What do you guys think?

Source: https://youtu.be/2zZrRAUJLr0

Last edited:
That was targeting the power distributor, from the front it's right in line with the cockpit in the Chieftain. I think all ships are different though.

Here's the capture from the test when it took 4 shots to breach and you can clearly see it goes straight from 100% health with no visable cracks, to breached and 0% health. This doesn't quite seem right to me. What do you guys think?
This behaviour would certainly be consistent with there being some kind of "hidden" variable, whereby damage is somehow accumulated and eventually it pops, while the "visible" variables (the integrity + lack of cracks) show no change until it goes bang on one hit.

However it's also possibly consistent with the (much more reasonable) concept that the other shots simply aren't connecting with the canopy, and eventually one does and it goes bang. That theory though would be a hell of a lot easier to swallow if you at least occasionally had a one-shot success. The fact that you aren't seeing any of those implies either that something else is tanking the damage (?) for the first few shots, or that theory 2 is toast, and we're back to some weird hidden variable nonsense (which would obviously suck).

DeletedUser191218

D
I've done a few tests now using a C2 rail gun (non-engineered) against the chieftain canopy without module protection and have had varying results. It's not predictable how many shots it will take to break the canopy so seems like there is probably some RNG in there somewhere. I've had it take anywhere between 12 shots to 4 shots but what is consistent is that the displayed health of the canopy doesn't show a decrease at all until breach at which point it shows 0.

Here's the capture from the test when it took 4 shots to breach and you can clearly see it goes straight from 100% health with no visable cracks, to breached and 0% health. This doesn't quite seem right to me. What do you guys think?

Source: https://youtu.be/2zZrRAUJLr0

Yeah this isn't right. You can clearly see it's 100% after a couple of shots...then goes to 0 in one go. Not even a warning that canopy integrity is low. This will make combat insufferable if unfixed.

DeletedUser191218

D
I think they described the problem wrong, using percentages to describe issue hasn't helped.
If it broke once it went down by 15 points to 15, and never went any lower........ then.... changing to 15 to get to 0 makes sense.

But explaining it in percentage terms makes the math not work.

Are we experiencing quick canopy breakage since change?

The MathS works. But it the reality is there's no change for a player. Either way it pops when it loses 15. It's really justa cosmetic change if anything. The number will read 0% instead of 50%. That's all it is really.

To my mind, even following your logic, this game only has patches. And you are the first I've seen to use the term "notes about the update" in stead of "patch notes." Even with that linguistic barrier, I don't see how the timeline and the fact the OP only ever mentions the Update - three times - doesn't make that clear to you. Do you really get this mixed up every time someone uses the term patch notes for an update - that must get taxing - or was it just a troll post?

It is the way my mind tends to work, and context usually keeps things clear enough this time it didn’t.

What do you guys think?

That test simply shows that a canopy is treated as an internal for breach chances. A weapon that doesn't breach does all it's damage to the hull. Against a ship with full hull the breach chance of a rail is 40%. If that breach is successful you see that ( ) 'internal damage' status icon and the module being hit takes ~95% of the rails damage (they have extremely high portion of breach damage, which sometimes confuses people because a hit to a module often means it does virtually no apparent hull damage).

Any successful hit to a 15 integrity canopy that has no MRP mitigating damage with a C2 railgun will pop it because a C2 railgun does more than 40 damage a shot and even if you've got ~60% thermic and kinetic resists, that still enough to destroy it outright.

For the people confused by the maths: Old canopy can take 30 damage. When it takes 15, it breaks.
Now canopy can take 15 damage. When it takes 15, it breaks.
Capice?

I don't really buy this "canopy always broke at 50% integrity". I remember having my canopy under 50% in at least 2 occasions, badly cracked but still holding.

You are now essentially flying a death trap, this change is certainly causing a few issues and i'm not really enjoying it.

Top Bottom