Caves & Chasms

Flying through a canyon on Europa got me to thinking. It sure would be one heck of an adventure to take this big boat of a Cutter down into some deep dark caves and chasms below the icy surface of this beautiful moon. Oh what wonders I’d find hidden in the dark revealed by my ships lights. What light through yonder ice shelf breaks and shines on underground rivers and lakes. What sorts of people would pay to have this cave system data for future exploration or base custruction? How far would I get in my ship before the path narrows and I’d have to break out my handy dandy SRV? What a wonderous place to get stuck and have to call a fuel rat for help. What stories would come of such a place? What wonders indeed.

As much as I like the concept, it would have to be a bloody big cave, chasm to even fit a cutter through, let alone fly comfortably ;)

But, for SRV driving. yes! if not Chasms or tunnels then definitely more terrain details for experience.

As much as I like the concept, it would have to be a bloody big cave, chasm to even fit a cutter through, let alone fly comfortably ;)

But, for SRV driving. yes! if not Chasms or tunnels then definitely more terrain details for experience.

Low gravity allows for much larger cave systems to form in astronomic bodies. Gasses that inflate from inside does not collapse as easy.

High gravity worlds on the other hand, have less cave systems and of smaller sizes than that of Earth. The surface is more densely packed and the materials need to be of considerable strength to not collapse.

Last edited:
Low gravity allows for much larger cave systems to form in astronomic bodies. Gasses that inflate from inside does not collapse as easy.

High gravity worlds on the other hand, have less cave systems of smaller sizes than that of Earth. The surface is more densely packed and the materials need to be of considerable strength to not collapse.

really? that's pretty neat then! have to admit seeing a ship sized hole to fly through/ explore would be nice.

They would open up a whole new world (literally) of possibilities and new game mechanics just putting big holes in planets and moons.
“This is no cave...” -Han Solo

Like the glide mechanic there could be a subterranean mechanic where the engine transitions from surface to subterranean caves for either the SUV or ship.

Surface cutting is quite complex to implement.
The height maps at the moment don't even have any overhangs, let alone scope for caves.

The nearest thing at the moment are the Thargoid sites - those look like they're implemented as separate models sitting on top of the surface map.

Top Bottom