News Changes Coming to Multi-crew

I've seen a couple folks say that helm will now get 100% with no reduced payout but I can't find a source for this info. Got any links?

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all your feedback across the forums and on social media. We always appreciate your continued passion and support.

We wanted to let you know about some changes that will be coming to Multi-crew.

Two of the changes will be coming as part of a server-side update coming in the next few working days and one other change will arrive as part of the 2.3.1 update.

It’s important to note that the 2.3.1 update isn’t the same as the 2.3.01 update. The 2.3.01 update mentioned here highlights a number of bug fixes that the team have identified and will be making its way in the coming weeks. The 2.3.1 update will include a significant multi-crew update to improve the helms crew mate management and will be coming a series of weeks after 2.3.01. We’ll have more details on the exact dates as development continues.

We’ve got three changes that we’re looking to implement for Multi-Crew.

1 - Pay-out increase (server-side update in the next few working days)

We are tweaking the pay-out reward scheme for Multi-crew. We will be significantly increasing the pay-out for almost all ranks of crew members. It’s easiest to show this in table form that you can see below. The first table shows what the current pay-out scheme is, and the second shows what we’re going to change it to.

View attachment 118831

2 – Rebuy cost reduction (server-side update in the next few working days)

In addition to the changes above, we’re also improving the rebuy reduction for players hosting Multi-crew sessions in their ships. Currently Helm’s rebuy cost is reduced by 25% per crew member on board. We are increasing this pay-out reduction to 30% meaning a fully crewed ship will have its rebuy cost reduced by over half.

3 – Helm safety measures (2.3.1 update coming later)

We’ve been actively listening to feedback from the community and one thing we’ve seen is a number of requests for greater protection for hosts of Multi-crew sessions and improved safety measures. That’s why we’re going to be introducing two new function controls for the role of Helm. The first change will allow Helm to toggle limited access for the Gunner role. When toggled on the Gunner will only be able to use weapons, not utilities (such as shield cells), and only Helm will be able to deploy and retract the ship’s hardpoints. When toggled off the Gunner will have full access as they do now.

The other change will allow Helm to toggle the availability of the Fighter Con role – this will stop people launching fighters until Helm turns the toggle off.

We’d like to take this moment to thank you for your continued support and patience. The development team are working hard to bring the imminent server side update, the 2.3.01 bug fixes and the 2.3.1 point update to Commanders.

The next person that says Frontier doesn't listen to it's players is going to get this thread posted to them in the largest font size the forum will let me. I make no apologies for that :)

Being slightly more serious all looks like good changes. I'm interested to know about the 2nd change and how it'll affect re-buy costs with regards to ship discounts, the Li Yong Rui powerplay re-buy discount, the kickstarter discount etc. 5% rebuy doesn't have much wiggle room for further reductions.

An Alpha level kickstarter backer gets 50% off the base 5% ship value so 2.5% insurance. If they pledged to LYR with the 20% discount and he is first in powerplay ratings they would pay 2% of their ship value. If that's being further reduced and all kickstarter bonuses are equally adjusted thats significant!! :D

It's not your business to care how a novice progresses. It's theirs.

It's not your business either. Why do you think you should dictate how much new players earn?

Why would your friend, who just starts out, want to crew up with you of all people having some high combat rank already,
For fun?
when they could just ask around for somebody with a low combat rank but entirely appropriate skill evel and ship to get full payouts instead of being gimped?
But that's the point: They can't. Someone with high skill and a Anaconda / Cutter / Corvette will not have a low combat rank, unless he cheated / used exploits.

PS
Maybe this discussion should be continued in one of the many "don't nerf money" threads?

Last edited:

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
I'd guess that the rebuy amount as shown in the right panel would have the 30% (60%...) discount applied to it.

That gives the same percentage reduction to all possible rebuy levels.

Love the people here.

Fdevs come up with an absolutely unacceptable and completely unfair choice of game design once again.
People rage, reach for their pitchforks, threats to quit the game forever.
Frontier stays in silence for a few weeks and loose the grip just a leeeettle tiny bit making the previous choice just slightly less negative, then everybody see them as merciful saviors, "Thank you Frontier, the game is great again! We should be grateful!" and completely forget where the root of the actual issue is.

Props to fdevs, it works every time.

Crazy isn't it. Forgot to add the saviors thowing in "amazing hard work...", "this is miraculous considering how difficult and advanced this game code is", etc., implying that the leeetle change is nothing short of a miracle that only FDev could achieve. Always lots of drama here and quite entertaining.

Oh, MC as implemented is still a useless feature to me and will remain useless to many. This change does little to fix the poor overall design.

Last edited:
delboy.jpg
Seriously, thanks for this. I know things got a bit emotional over in the other thread but it's only because we all care so much (sometimes about different things, but we do care). Hopefully these new function controls, given sensible defaults, will remove some of the risk of deliberate trolling of the innocent while still leaving room for potential emergent back-stabbing among the more established commander-crew relationships.

Trying to understand this, so there's a bounty of 1M credits.
You have a gunner, target destroyed, so the helm gets 1M & the gunner can get up to 800K creds depending on their rank.
Which is a total of 1.8M payout from a 1M bounty?
Where is the extra money coming from?
I'm good at suspending disbelief, but this is pushing it.

Oh good. I'm glad I'm not alone there. The money comes from the same place the extra energy pip from the power plant comes from I suppose. :)

As for the reduced rebuy... *REALLY* FDev??? *REALLY?* :O

Last edited:
Also, is there no-one at the helm who knows where this ship is going? How come barely one week after release we're already talking about changing the progression just because the community asked for more credits? Is there noone at Frontier whose job it is to decide what the pace of progression should be beforehand rather than rely on community feedback?

Yes please. That way we would have got instant ship transfer and 100% payout for all crew members as it was originaly planned for both features before the various storms on forums and reddit [up]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a couple folks say that helm will now get 100% with no reduced payout but I can't find a source for this info. Got any links?
helm always got 100% where is your source of missinformation that it has ever been different?

Yep, agreed.
Magic extra pips, magic extra money, if MC was great or even good, it would stand on its own merit, instead of extra magical incentives.
Now I don't care how much anyone makes, but I do care about magical extras "just because, insert gamey excuse here".
If the payout is 180%, then I'll take 180% too while I'm alone, because "abracadabra".

you are one of they guys who should pay the real insurance for his ships... i mean, you pay x% of what its worth and get it back in one piece...
and your math skills are bad too,
because the the full multicrew payout is not 180%, but 260% + additonal 10% for all the sold loot trade dividends.

Hm, at least a step in the right direction but... I really don't like that my friends will be punished for playing mc with me as helm then rather with another guy who is just expert, only because I'm deadly and later elite... so now to be elite is a negative thing if you want to help your friends.

maybe you should help your friend by joining HIS ship and he will suffer ZERO penalty. half of the ships are MC able, you don't need an anaconda for MC. and if its to insult the opponent in chat :D

I was seconds too late to get this into the other, arguably more appropriate, thread before the lock (damn you Mr. Maynard) so it'll have to go here. Apologies for the now slightly stale gag, but I couldn't resist this.

rocketgroot.gif

Awesome.

I like the concept of giving the Helm control over what the crew can access. It puts the structure in place to allow crew to access (with Helm's permission) things like modules, navigation, contacts, and coms.

Yes please. That way we would have got instant ship transfer and 100% payout for all crew members as it was originaly planned for both features before the various storms on forums and reddit [up]

Nope, the original direction that was to have delayed transfer just like we have now. Michael Brookes indicated they had only gone for instant transfer because of the lower effort needed, so really just like this constant messing with rewards, instant transfers was yet another producer-level decision to please the unwashed masses at the lowest cost.

Last edited:

Actually ship transfer was originally planned to be delayed. They just wanted to make it instant because they didn't have time to implement it properly. ;)

EDIT
ninjad

Last edited:
It’s important to note that the 2.3.1 update isn’t the same as the 2.3.01 update.
Who-ever thought up this version-numbering system really needs their head looking at. It's going to confuse just about all of your customers, and when-ever someone (not FDev) says "2.3.1" we won't know if they meant 2.3.01 or 2.3.1 .

Instead of it looking like this:

Please instead consider doing this:

Or this:

Both options have pros & cons, but both are far better than the current proposed numbering system.

Last edited:
helm always got 100% where is your source of missinformation that it has ever been different?

you are one of they guys who should pay the real insurance for his ships... i mean, you pay x% of what its worth and get it back in one piece...
and your math skills are bad too,
because the the full multicrew payout is not 180%, but 260% + additonal 10% for all the sold loot trade dividends.

I'm not bad at math, my example was when flying a Vulture.
Which is still irrelevant to the point, but keep being pedantic.

Last edited:
So.. have somebody else sitting in a chair, increase your pips, almost double the total payout and lower your rebuy costs all at the same time?
Oh well. It's just a game. No need for believability... :rolleyes:

Top Bottom