News Changes Coming to Multi-crew

The risk vs. reward thing gets greatly overstated. It's a freetime activity. Cooperatively playing a video In a game where your progression is measured mostly by credits and an arbitrary rank. That is to be encouraged, not discouraged by pay cuts.

Look at it like this, then. The captain of any ship gets paid more than the ensign, or gunner, deck hand or second in command.

Why would this be different?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
The risk vs. reward thing gets greatly overstated. It's a freetime activity. Cooperatively playing a video In a game where your progression is measured mostly by credits and an arbitrary rank. That is to be encouraged, not discouraged by pay cuts.

I completely agree it should be about playing together and not just earning credits. I just wanted to comment about the risk/reward element as it relates to the rest of the game. Higher risk activities should, and more often do, pay greater than those with low risk.

Why would this be different?

You don't get it?

Because we're not talking about the captain, gunner or cleaner of a ship. We're talking about people playing a game in their free time. They have options and all of their time has the same value. By giving them ingame paycuts based on role in a cooperative activity, you discourage cooperation.

Free time is the most valuable player resource. Players may chose how to convert that into ingame things. Fun, fooling around, rank, credits. If you present them with something like Wings has been for the longest time ("yeah, play together if you will, but you will greatly slow your ingame progression") and an alternative that does not gimp credits, you clearly don't want them to engage in the gimped activity too much.

Humans min-max. Not everybody, all the time, but they will do.

Last edited:
You don't get it?

Because we're not talking about the captain, gunner or cleaner of a ship. We're talking about people playing a game in their free time. They have options and all of their time has the same value.

Oh, well in that case we should all just have access to everything for fun. Complete unlock on purchase. Remove rank and friendly fire.

It makes perfect sense the way they're doing it. You cant just remove context from the game. And just because we pay for something doesn't mean we all immediately deserve to be able to do what others have. A novice shouldn't be able to park his sidewinder, sit in a chair and earn while an Elite captain does all the work in his ship. Jesus.

Last edited:
Love the people here.

Fdevs come up with an absolutely unacceptable and completely unfair choice of game design once again.
People rage, reach for their pitchforks, threats to quit the game forever.
Frontier stays in silence for a few weeks and loose the grip just a leeeettle tiny bit making the previous choice just slightly less negative, then everybody see them as merciful saviors, "Thank you Frontier, the game is great again! We should be grateful!" and completely forget where the root of the actual issue is.

Props to fdevs, it works every time.

i caouldn't agree more with this

You don't get it?

Because we're not talking about the captain, gunner or cleaner of a ship. We're talking about people playing a game in their free time. They have options and all of their time has the same value. By giving them ingame paycuts based on role in a cooperative activity, you discourage cooperation.

Can't +Rep you enough.

This man gets it.

Seriously need a TOGGLE GUNNER WEAPONS - as I have to search all over the full list of Modules to disable these when I arrive at a Station! If you actually grouped ALL Turrets next to each other then that would be simpler although I think expanding the whole TURRET MODE (far right inside Modules Panel for auto-turrets) to: -
enable these Auto-Turret switches within Fire Groups (Fire Forard/At Target/Free Will) and also toggle Gunner Weapons OFF + Gunner Modules OFF.

I need to be able to Supercruise away when I want without the Crew still firing and therefore holding me back.
Plus safety around Stations.

RETHINK PLEASE

Last edited:
Seriously need a TOGGLE GUNNER WEAPONS - as I have to search all over the full list of Modules to disable these when I arrive at a Station! If you actually grouped ALL Turrets next to each other then that would be simpler although I think expanding the whole TURRET MODE (far right inside Modules Panel for auto-turrets) to enable these switches within Fire Groups we can select and also toggle Gunner Weapons OFF + Modules OFF.

I need to be able to Supercruise away when I want without the Crew still firing and therefore holding me back. Plus safety around Stations.

RETHINK PLEASE

uhhhhh...

and only Helm will be able to deploy and retract the ship’s hardpoints.

Oh, well in that case we should all just have access to everything for fun. Complete unlock on purchase. Remove rank and friendly fire.

It makes perfect sense the way they're doing it.

It's ok. If you resort to the "win button" strawman, you really don't get it.

It's ok. If you resort to the "win button" strawman, you really don't get it.

You cant just remove context from the game. In THIS game we are captains/etc, specifically the pay out is based on rank - which you want to ignore selectively in this one part of the game.. You're the one doing the fancy flying, why does old mate in the number 2 chair deserve the same? Your argument can be used for any game. Just because we pay for something doesn't mean we all immediately deserve to be able to do what others have. A novice shouldn't be able to park his sidewinder, sit in a chair and earn while an Elite captain does all the work in his ship. Jesus. Don't be so weak, earn your way.

Last edited:
You cant just remove context from the game. And just because we pay for something doesn't mean we all immediately deserve to be able to do what others have. A novice shouldn't be able to park his sidewinder, sit in a chair and earn while an Elite captain does all the work in his ship. Jesus. Don't be so weak, earn your way.

It's not your business to care how a novice progresses. It's theirs.

Why would your friend, who just starts out, want to crew up with you of all people having some high combat rank already, when they could just ask around for somebody with a low combat rank but entirely appropriate skill evel and ship to get full payouts instead of being gimped?

Basically (I am almost Deadly in Combat) I will KICK any Crew under Dangerous Rank. Sorry!

This idea promotes an Elitist attitude to play amongst lesser mortals.

Last edited:
It's not your business to care how a novice progresses. It's theirs.

Why would your friend, who just starts out, want to crew up with you of all people having some high combat rank already, when they could just ask around for somebody with a low combat rank but entirely appropriate skill evel and ship to get full payouts instead of being gimped?

Perhaps your looking at it wrong. Maybe its meant to encourage your mate to level up his own character and skill, play with similarly ranked players, instead of ride coat tails. In many other MMO, if a low level character teams up with a level 80, they don't both get the same rewards for killing a level 80 boss. This isnt a new game mechanic, rewards are always based on level/rank/etc when playing in a group/team/etc with different level players

Last edited:

It makes perfect sense the way they're doing it. You cant just remove context from the game. And just because we pay for something doesn't mean we all immediately deserve to be able to do what others have. A novice shouldn't be able to park his sidewinder, sit in a chair and earn while an Elite captain does all the work in his ship. Jesus.

Yep, agreed.
Magic extra pips, magic extra money, if MC was great or even good, it would stand on its own merit, instead of extra magical incentives.
Now I don't care how much anyone makes, but I do care about magical extras "just because, insert gamey excuse here".
If the payout is 180%, then I'll take 180% too while I'm alone, because "abracadabra".

Last edited:
"abracadabra".
That 3D printer is being abused - this is fraud. Worse than Piracy!

IRL - 3 Crew each get 33.3% of the BOUNTY & REBUY.
If the 1 Crew are all Harmless and Captain is Elite then it seems fair that Crew get 10% each and Captain gets 90% for both BOUNTY & REBUY but shared for more Crew over the 100%.

I don't see the logic in taking say set percentages that don't add up to the 100% value of the actual Bounty either way over or below!

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Top Bottom