News Chapter Four - Exploration Reveal

This is something I don't quite understand. You've said forever that Frontier needs to make Exploration more challenging which I definitely agree. Now that they finally do add a small amount of challenge, you say "bring back the honk n point" ??

Something doesn't add up here. There are only so many places where this challenge could come from. Exploration consists of scanning objects and and maybe visiting them, both of which are comprised of "mini games".

-honk n point
-landing mini game
-driving mini game

Pretty much any level of "hardcore" gameplay that you add to the Elite will be called a either a "grind" or a "mini game" by someone. I think you need to be more specific in both what you want and what you don't want than simply calling something a "mini game". That phrase has been so abused that it's become almost meaningless now.

I'm not seeing the challenge with the new mechanics, just procedural processing on our parts. Sure, maybe some skill involved to be more efficient at it, but that's the only risk I'm seeing. Would prefer more stuff that made more sense contextually in the game. Like, get too close to an accretion disk around a black hole and your ship gets ripped apart. That sort of thing. By hardcore, you wouldn't have a rebuy either. Something to lose makes for good reasons to not lose it. A guy can dream about more compelling gameplay like that for this sort of game, but at least I can muck around with the galaxy "sim." Or can I if it's pieced out into mini-game hoops to jump through? Guess we'll see.

Not sure what you mean by that. I never happened to play the earlier titles. Either way though, I think the game could use a lot more "hardcore" gameplay as to me it seems very forgiving and easy in general. Fortunately, I mostly just like mucking around in space, so fair enough. I definitely don't play this for the arcade mini-games and respawn death matches though.

That's perfectly OK. I'm a pilot, and Elite has not matched many of the technology advances in the Real Life aerospace industry.

Plus, my ego has been "re-prioritized" by Real Life, unlike so many of the players in Elite who still think they could do *physically* in 2018, what they were capable of in 1984... :)

That's perfectly OK. I'm a pilot, and Elite has not matched many of the technology advances in the Real Life aerospace industry.

Plus, my ego has been "re-prioritized" by Real Life, unlike so many of the players in Elite who still think they could do *physically* in 2018, what they were capable of in 1984... :)

Heh, well, I was only 3 then, so I should hope I'm a bit more capable at some things now at least. :)

Cheers.

Heh, well, I was only 3 then, so I should hope I'm a bit more capable at some things now at least. :)

Cheers.

You can be an honorary great-niece or nephew. Your choice. :)

Coming up on great-great nieces and nephews now... :(

Too many players in Elite think they are carrier-landing naval "aviators". Most of them would have wound up as photos on Pancho Barnes bar wall of dead pilot photos, in the old days.

I'm not seeing the challenge with the new mechanics, just procedural processing on our parts. Sure, maybe some skill involved to be more efficient at it, but that's the only risk I'm seeing. Would prefer more stuff that made more sense contextually in the game. Like, get too close to an accretion disk around a black hole and your ship gets ripped apart. That sort of thing. By hardcore, you wouldn't have a rebuy either. Something to lose makes for good reasons to not lose it. A guy can dream about more compelling gameplay like that for this sort of game, but at least I can muck around with the galaxy "sim." Or can I if it's pieced out into mini-game hoops to jump through? Guess we'll see.

Ok, let me put it this way. If your ultimate goal is to make Exploration more risky vs rewardy, then you might be on the wrong side of the debate. People that enjoy risk and reward don't typically play the current exploration mechanic because it's the safest and least skill-rewarding aspect of the game. So you don't have many allies that actually play exploration... yet. But if the mechanic gets opened up so that the larger community gets involved, then you'll hear more voices asking for contextual danger like black hole spaghetti makers, murderous magnetars, hadean planet bombardment zones, corrosive atmospheres, radiation damage from gamma and x ray sources, sensor and scanner interference from high radiation zones, and heat damage to SRVs on hell planets.

You can be an honorary great-niece or nephew. Your choice. :)

Coming up on great-great nieces and nephews now... :(

Too many players in Elite think they are carrier-landing naval "aviators". Most of them would have wound up as photos on Pancho Barnes bar wall of dead pilot photos, in the old days.

You ever play Top Gun on the NES? Good times. [hehe]

In the game though, I think it's too easy to throw away ships in general. It makes it feel kind of shallow to me. Love it for the sci-fi setting and galaxy sim though, and yeah, it's fun mucking around and choosing and building up our spaceships as well, even if I can't really get myself to go through the Engineer grind, playing more as an independent pilot and survivalist, adventurer, and explorer as I happen to prefer.

Ok, let me put it this way. If your ultimate goal is to make Exploration more risky vs rewardy, then you might be on the wrong side of the debate. People that enjoy risk and reward don't typically play the current exploration mechanic because it's the safest and least skill-rewarding aspect of the game. So you don't have many allies that actually play exploration... yet. But if the mechanic gets opened up so that the larger community gets involved, then you'll hear more voices asking for contextual danger like black hole spaghetti makers, murderous magnetars, hadean planet bombardment zones, corrosive atmospheres, radiation damage from gamma and x ray sources, sensor and scanner interference from high radiation zones, and heat damage to SRVs on hell planets.

If that's what it takes, then I guess it's worth it, but unfortunately I don't really see that happening with this game.

I think most would definitely be surprised to know just how "Dangerous" space itself can really be on its own, even without random murderhoboism.

If Frontier implemented actually realistic concepts in this game, most would likely quit the first time they insta-ghettied passing into an event horizon, or lost control of their ship because of the gravitational pull of a planetary body... there's a bit too much arcade-ish handwavium in this game already, which is what some of us wish to be balanced with a bit more realism. Doesn't have to be absolutely Newtonian realistic, but rather at least some engaging mechanics that don't simply bypass every bit of interaction with the universe around us for "game setting's" sake.

I have been verbally asking for that kind of stuff (environmental hazards) for years, which kind of invalidates your point that "current explorers" don't want that kind of stuff. Plus, what do the current/new exploration mechanics have to do with risk or rewards? Is the new space binoculars somehow riskier than the honk?

I have been verbally asking for that kind of stuff (environmental hazards) for years, which kind of invalidates your point that "current explorers" don't want that kind of stuff. Plus, what do the current/new exploration mechanics have to do with risk or rewards? Is the new space binoculars somehow riskier than the honk?

I could swear that there were at least a few posts where people complained that they might get attacked whilst using the new DSS. That did make it sound dangerous.

I think most would definitely be surprised to know just how "Dangerous" space itself can really be on its own, even without random murderhoboism.

If Frontier implemented actually realistic concepts in this game, most would likely quit the first time they insta-ghettied passing into an event horizon, or lost control of their ship because of the gravitational pull of a planetary body... there's a bit too much arcade-ish handwavium in this game already, which is what some of us wish to be balanced with a bit more realism. Doesn't have to be absolutely Newtonian realistic, but rather at least some engaging mechanics that don't simply bypass every bit of interaction with the universe around us for "game setting's" sake.

Agreed.

Cool glad to have you as an ally on that point then. The risk with the proposed system, or any system that rewards skill, is that failure to use skill results in a slower rate of success. In other words, you risk TIME, which is arguably the most precious commodity in the universe. In fact, the only reason that a Rebuy Screen is a "danger" is because it represents lost TIME, because everything you lost took precious time to get, and there is no reversing the clock to reclaim it, even if you re-claim all of the objects lost with new TIME.

I'm not confused. Space is big and mostly empty. If it was full of furniture it would just feel wrong. This ain't No Man's Sky ;) So it feels "right" that there is little to do on most planets. Most planets are simply not going to be interesting from our casual perspective.

For most of us, excitement comes from seeing a picture of a geyser erupting on Europa that can be seen from space. Being told it has a slighly higher iron content than expected isn't really going to make anyone but an astronomer go "wow" ;)

Of course if it becomes easier to find the interesting stuff that is out there, then it won't feel so empty, while at the same time feeling accurate. So that's the balance we need to strive for.

Actually, check out Obsidian Ants video. Star systems aren't as empty as Elite makes them. Where are the meteors? Where's the ort cloud? And why are the three species in the galaxy gathered in a tiny spot and not a single shred of evidence of any other space faring civilization. Basically, elite galaxy is too empty compared.

If Frontier added what exists in out solar system alone, it would 10 times more stuff than current version.

Last edited:
Wow! 269 pages and counting - guess I will add my own bit...

I'm looking forward to the new system, be it good or bad at least is is nodding in passing to those players who wish to take the time to explore ED's piece of the universe.

I tend to 'honk' every system I go to that comes up as unexplored. If I'm on a mission and just passing through that may be all I do, although I may revisit later to see more. If I'm out 'exploring' then everything gets a surface scan, even those 500k Ls away - it is surprising how many systems are 'cherry picked' by first discoverers, leaving the 'less valuable' planets open for others. By the wording of the announcement the new system may make some of those longer SC jaunts a thing of the past.

I understand those who don't like the prospect of having to 'waste' their time by having another 'layer of grind' added, no matter how simple it could be...

A couple of folk commented on just how little there is 'out in the Black' once you get outside of pretty small, defined areas, I think it would be good to have a little more to discover, but have no wish to be the wrong side of a RNG death trap, thank you :)

ETA: I'm fairly new to ED (4 months) so have yet to see some of the wonders - black holes, neutron stars etc. In the process of planning my first longer than a couple of thousand LY jaunts, hopefully that will bring something new and exciting!

Last edited:
I could swear that there were at least a few posts where people complained that they might get attacked whilst using the new DSS. That did make it sound dangerous.

I made one of those posts, but I don't this would be a good way to increase exploration challenge. There shouldn't be an appreciable risk of combat in much of the galaxy.

I'm with Askavir, I would enjoy exploration as an pve challenge. Make it like the great exploration journeys of the 19th century, with analogues of weather, terrain, disease, hunger, equipment failure and the odd hostile indigenous life to deal with. Open up large regions of permit locked space and encourage competing expeditions to their far sides. Make the primary dangers loss of time and degraded capabilities rather than death.

Argumentum ad Absurdium right there. Who was talking about using Parallax or flying randomly away from a star in every direction? We are merely talking about using Emission & Gravitational Anomaly information to create a rough map of a solar system, which can then be resolved by either the method described in the OP, or by flying towards those Gravitational Anomalies (which would be indicated on your HUD) & scanning them yourself.

Well, we'd know that was what you meant, if you had actually said anything like that to start with.

But naw, making it take a lot longer to map out a system? What does that add? More sitting in a seat watching numbers count down. You dodged that question- why does it bother you?

The contents of the next star are always a mystery. Once you get there, though? They're balls of rock. Lots of balls of rock, or ice, or gas. With random pressurized rocks on the landable surfaces that spit out chunks of pure elements when shot. Not much else, unless you're close enough to certain areas to spawn human or alien ships.

If it takes longer to identify a ball of rock with slightly more detail, that's still boring. That's not mystery, that's being amused by watching timers tick down.

I made one of those posts, but I don't this would be a good way to increase exploration challenge. There shouldn't be an appreciable risk of combat in much of the galaxy.

I'm with Askavir, I would enjoy exploration as an pve challenge. Make it like the great exploration journeys of the 19th century, with analogues of weather, terrain, disease, hunger, equipment failure and the odd hostile indigenous life to deal with. Open up large regions of permit locked space and encourage competing expeditions to their far sides. Make the primary dangers loss of time and degraded capabilities rather than death.

Oh, I'd love it if exploring the great unknown of the galaxy was highly dangerous, your ideas are pretty much where I'd like it to be. Just the mention of the possibility of FSD failure as a thing has been enough to cause concern for some though.

Back
Top Bottom