Cheat found and a bug that affect PvP

What your connection speed?
I am using Nvidia Geforce Now cloud gaming for Elite Dangerous, which is probably close to Frontier server and have very strong connection.
Edit. I am live in Finland and I have this

I really like the SLF and hope to use it in PvP, but I didn't see any report about SLF causing lag in either this forum or reddit, so I wonder if this only happened to me or it is common knowledge?

the bug with fighters is known for a long time, and a few people, even if asked nicely refuse to not use fighters in organized 1v1 and call you out on having no skill if you happen to be hindered by the opponent jumping around due to this bug. (and additional lag switching)
Some might know who I am talking about.

the bug with fighters is known for a long time, and a few people, even if asked nicely refuse to not use fighters in organized 1v1 and call you out on having no skill if you happen to be hindered by the opponent jumping around due to this bug. (and additional lag switching)
Some might know who I am talking about.
Hi CMDR Hellfire,

I understand that but chill, I don't want any drama happened in my thread. A question tho, if you don't press any command will it still cause lag to the opponent? I don't want to use lag against my opponent in 1v1 but I love SLF and it is important part of my build.

Yours sincerely,

Hadrian Augustus Duval

Thats old news, very old news. Just another click bait video due to the game having no new content.

Hell back in the original alpha, folks were messing with game settings for a laugh. Do a search for LUA scripts and you'll find all the old script websites, some even have have folks bleating about their accounts being banned.

So, in a game without dedicated matchmaking servers, and relying on a peer-to-peer network architecture only in players interactions, the cheating is possible - what a surprise!
Another question is - was it surprise for players only, or FDev really was unaware about all of this, when they decided to build multiplayer MMO around P2P networking?
So cheating isn't possible in games with dedicated servers? :D

Hi CMDR Hellfire,

I understand that but chill, I don't want any drama happened in my thread. A question tho, if you don't press any command will it still cause lag to the opponent? I don't want to use lag against my opponent in 1v1 but I love SLF and it is important part of my build.

Yours sincerely,

Hadrian Augustus Duval

No idea what causes it and how to avoid it. Never used an NPC fighter in PvP. Actually, I'm not much of a fan of fighters at all, it's an annoyance at best and I can't have a fighter bay on my Vulture anyways lol

Wrong. Correct statement would be: It is impossible to prevent cheating without dedicated servers.

So, if the game developer decided to create multiplayer game based on p2p architecture, then there are ultimately only two options:
- this game developer knowingly / intentionally planned just to ignore cheating in his game completely, from the very beginning of development
OR
- this game developer is the most incompetent one in the area of multiplayer / network technologies in the world

Well, there is third option actually, but it's the worst one - developer does have competencies, and planned to fight cheaters. But he is too greedy to maintain dedicated matchmaking servers.

With dedicated servers, it is possible to make cheating impossible, though still only small number of games achieved this. As a live example - Eve Online. Cheats are impossible. There was only a dozen of not-critical exploits during the 16 years of game life, and even they were not cheats, but really just exploits - no hacks, just flaws in game mechanics which allowed for example "too easy" isk earnings, similarly to, for example, passenger sightseeing missions with too high payouts on start being registered as Explorer rank progressions. And all these exploits were fixed very quickly, while all earning made through them were fully reverted back.
Without dedicated servers it's even theoretically impossible to prevent cheating, and even just detect it reliably, without relying on player's screenshot/video reports (which, in turn, sounds like stone age thing).
So there are a few thousand games with dedicated servers where cheating is possible (including some of the most popular games in the history of video games) and a handful of games where it isn't. In other words the original post was completely meaningless.

Top Bottom