Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They will have proofs.
Again tired voice
We meet in Open... I modify data related to your ship in my ED client memory, to make your ship invulnerable on my client. Then i do plenty of shots to your ship, record video with zero damage, send video to FDev, and they ban you using this video as a solid proof that you made your ship invulnerable.

REVERSE CHEATING guys, keep this in mind.
This already occurred in past. And FDev stopped proactively fighting cheaters exactly because of this. It's technically impossible for them to differentiate cheater, and reverse-cheated fair player.
Then they need to change the client so that they can detect cheating, otherwise this game is doomed. No mmo with massive cheating going on survives too long.

Oh. It's a good thing I wasn't even trying to fool you. I'm of a mind that one kind of cheater, leads to being another kind of cheater, and the effects of the cheats are pretty much the same. Some players having an unfair advantage over another. Those players caught up in the '5 for 1' scandal knew exactly what they were doing, and chose to do it. '5 for 1' didn't just happen all on it's own. The player had to choose to wangle with the system. That dosen't seem all that different to me.

Every one looks for the path of least resistance, im sure every ED player at some point in their ED game playing career has instance hopped or board flipped to get somewhere faster.
There was a bug in the game code which Fdev missed and some players found it, used it and got an advantage in game as a result. This all became public knowledge and Fdevs response was to remove all engineered ship modules from the cheating parties. A responce which many thought was not enough and some thought was enough. But this just feeds into my earlier comment that Fdev is seen as a soft touch. Their soft touch on that issue still permeates today. Fdevs response to that issue is now written in stone and part of ED history.

This current issue with Hack tools built and designed to give huge advantages to players at the click of a mouse button is much more serious, because it opens the flood gates for people to improve upon that software and distrubute it at will. Yes the intent to cheat is still there, but the cheat itself in this instance is a HACK and outside of the ED client beyond the reach of Fdev ability to control unless they now change how the game works or have a zero tolerance policy towards its use.

But all of this depends on how Fdev responds. Can they even detect this client? Do they even bother looking if they can?

If they cannot detect it, then they need to find a way to do so because this issue will seriously damage this games reputation. I've avoided games in the past which i knew had an out of control hacking problem and right now Fdev are trying desperately to court new players.

Last edited:
Engineering operations data goes to FDev servers (your client sends engineer action request to FDev server, and gets response).
Shots operations data does NOT go to FDev servers (your client sends requests only to the other player PC directly, who is in your instance, if there is any).
So FDev just has NO telemetry on their side for such things like shots performed by players. Because p2p architecture.

Then what would the network cost be of having everything reported back to server?

But this is my point, as a copy of Elite Dangerous ON A CONSOLE cannot be compromised, thus the only way to cheat* on my platform is to modify the data stream, and decrypting a truly encrypted data stream is not trivial AT ALL.
If modification of the data stream (rather than interception without modification) is the only threat, then there are much cheaper ways than encryption to guard against that.

Encrypted or not, yes, you can probably be confident that the only cheaters on your platform are the ones backed by the state-level actors who can go for some of the more novel approaches to compromising console hardware...

Meh. FDev is usually fairly cowardly as game companies go, so I wouldn’t expect anything to change any time soon. They’re too afraid of reprisal.

Doesn’t affect me either way, thankfully. I’d sooner eat my own vomit than engage in PvP, and I’m not really invested in the BGS. I’m just here to slaughter wanted NPCs, fly spaceships, and see space stuff in VR.

Goose4291

Banned
Excellent write-up as always Ryan. It does amuse me how SDC seem to be the ones who rock the boat on these issues.

However one issue that someone mentioned early on in this thread is important to remember. These people should be Shadowbanned, not punted into solo IMO, otherwise they're going to continue to cause issues, albeit for BGS and PP players.

But how to punish, if there is no possibility to identify cheaters?
You get 1000 report per day. You know that ~500 of them are false (which means, these are reports filled against fair players by cheaters, using forged video proofs).
Would you ignore all 1000 reports? Or ban all 1000 players, knowing that 500 of them are actually NOT cheaters?
Perform 1000 investigations per day (hire 1000 workers for this)?

This is not about fabricated video proof, this is about 3rd party tools used in game to give a person serious advantages over the normal player.

MDH

If FromSoft can do this in their peer to peer architecture, Frontier should also be able to do it. And while Dark Souls still has the occasional cheater, they are rare. They also reacted to an influx of cheaters, when Dark Souls 2 was at it's height and the softban to cheaterland worked mostly.

Yes, that's what i'm telling during years on this forum :) But it would need so much efforts (literally rewrite networking module of the game from the scratch), that it will never occur, definitely.
Never say never. They where never going to fix board hopping and they managed just fine (Sure it was years later, but they still fixed it).

Yes, that's what i'm telling during years on this forum :) But it would need so much efforts (literally rewrite networking module of the game from the scratch), that it will never occur, definitely.
They could enable "instant replay" by default. For everyone. I wonder what percentage of players have gone through the trouble of installing recording features.

Just read carefully what i wrote a bit above.
I can easily film you cheating, though really you didn't do any cheats at all.
Just because i made data from your client "cheated" in my client, and filmed then screen of my client. Where you were "cheating".

ive posted on this issue before when Commander Krash got a strike for a combat log and was apparently filmed doing it.

A single complaint from one player over another with video 'Evidence' isnt enough in my opinion.
If Fdev have a time stamp for the compaint im sure they can sort through logs for potential flags in order to heap evidence against the accused.

Video evience is not enough.

I just dont think Fdev do enough to police or discourage cheating.

Every one looks for the path of least resistance, im sure every ED player at some point in their ED game playing career has instance hopped or board flipped to get somewhere faster.
There was a bug in the game code which Fdev missed and some players found it, used it and got an advantage in game as a result. This all became public knowledge and Fdevs response was to remove all engineered ship modules from the cheating parties. A responce which many thought was not enough and some thought was enough. But this just feeds into my earlier comment that Fdev is seen as a soft touch. Their soft touch on that issue still permeates today. Fdevs response to that issue is now written in stone and part of ED history.

This current issue with Hack tools built and designed to give huge advantages to players at the click of a mouse button is much more serious, because it opens the flood gates for people to improve upon that software and distrubute it at will. Yes the intent to cheat is still there, but the cheat itself in this instance is a HACK and outside of the ED client beyond the reach of Fdev ability to control unless they now change how the game works or have a zero tolerance policy towards its use.

But all of this is depends on how Fdev responds. Can they even detect this client? Do they even bother looking of they can?

If they cannot detect it, then they need to find a way to do so because this issue will seriously damage this games reputation. I've avoided games in the past which i knew had am out of control hacking problem and right now Fdev are trying desperately to court new players.

I'm not inclined to make the distinction. To me, cheating is cheating. After all the end results is within a video game, something not so important in the over all.

In all cases a consistent and measured response is the best way to proceed. Escalating punishment is fair, and understandable. Peeps who make a bad decision, have a chance to mend their ways. The best thing is to take away a cheaters ability to affect others, completely during the punishment phase.

If modification of the data stream (rather than interception without modification) is the only threat, then there are much cheaper ways than encryption to guard against that.
Symmetric encryption is incredibly cheap, and I believe supported by the PS4's hardware..

Encrypted or not, yes, you can probably be confident that the only cheaters on your platform are the ones backed by the state-level actors who can go for some of the more novel approaches to compromising console hardware...
I have entertained the idea of building a pseudo-android to go exploring for me. A Raspberry Pi to capture the screen via camera and a rig with servos to manipulate the DS4... I just don't have time, however.

Now in ESO all I need is a rubber-band for the trigger in order to level up, LOL.

REVERSE CHEATING guys, keep this in mind.
This already occurred in past. And FDev stopped proactively fighting cheaters exactly because of this. It's technically impossible for them to differentiate cheater, and reverse-cheated fair player.

which explains frontier dropping the ball in all this matter: there's no solution, the platform is just not viable for the gameplay implied on the box, period.

i don't think this invalidates any 'achievments' as they are actually very overhyped anyway. normal, we love this.

combat is still good for the occasional thrill, but how (serious) pvp folks keep up with this crap is beyond me.

what baffles me a bit is that so many people only now realize how cheat prone elite really is. well, re-read that last sentence quoted in green a couple of times and let that sink in. then we can have a picnic chat about the benefit, coolness, cost effectiveness and pure genius of p2p as an approach to realtime online multiplayer worlds.

which explains frontier dropping the ball in all this matter: there's no solution, the platform is just not viable for the gameplay implied on the box, period.

i don't think this invalidates any 'achievments' as they are actually very overhyped anyway. normal, we love this.

combat is still good for the occasional thrill, but how (serious) pvp folks keep up with this crap is beyond me.

what baffles me a bit is that so many people only now realize how cheat prone elite really is. well, re-read that last sentence quoted in green a couple of times and let that sink in. then we can have a picnic chat about the benefit, coolness, cost effectiveness and pure genius of p2p as an approach to realtime online multiplayer worlds.

Memory hacks have been known about for years, just as other cheats have. I don't know why it's flared up as a topic now but it's always been a high priority issue for me.

Just read the Reddit thread on this! Omg, this is outrageous!! I agree that punishments should be severe, but even more, how could Frontier let this happen in the first place??? That the game is apparently so open to hacks is a massive let down. I don't PVP very often (I hardly play anymore tbh) but I was psyching myself up to get back into it and then I wake up and read this crap. Heart broken is not an exaggeration. I've spent thousands of hours trying to learn the actual mechanics of the game, and here someone can just cheat and overturn all of that knowledge with a hack. I'm literally sick over this.

If the data is unencrypted, what's stopping me from reverse-engineering it and making a Python script on my Raspberry Pi that simulates an invincible Cutter than can jump 500 LY to run PowerPlay cargo 24x7?

Since you control what is running on the client end of the things, you could reverse engineer it even if communication was encrypted. In effect, that's precisely what these cheat scripts are doing. So, um, knock yourself out? :D

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom