Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'd be rather more worried about people being able to make virtually indestructible ships, or ones that are just better enough, than being able to tweak HUD colours beyond what Frontier currently allow.

i know. we just disagree on who/what to blame. the mere existence of this tool (and several others) paints frontier as the bad guys, and that much was clear just in the op which actually does so explicitly. so you didn't have to look that far, into a tangential side comment about the hud colors.

the latter is not going to happen, at least not in this regard.

regarding the former ... i knew of the p2p thing roughly a month after release, and i took cheating for granted since. and i've seen evidence all these years, it never was a secret. it's a pity but that's how it is, i've gotten over this long ago, i'm just curious to see how frontier handles this fallout now. it has come late indeed, didn't expect it anymore, i actually stopped a while ago debating p2p around here, it seemed pointless.

popcorn tanks full.

First, it's not like client/server games would make it impossible to cheat. Good luck identifying an aimbot just using a server for example... P2P just makes it easier to cheat.

I read the entire thread and some people said you can't detect cheats in a P2P architecture and that FDEV isn't doing anything against it (the same thing gets said about other developers of client / server games by the way, usually until the banhammer hits). That's not entirely true since FDEV detected cheats in the past using telemetry and banned people accordingly.
There are several ways how to detect cheats in a (mostly) P2P architecture, such as occasionally sending data to frontiers servers (which already happens anyway), running an anticheat tool that monitors your computer, compare expected results between peers and automatically report anomalies, etc.

i know. we just disagree on who/what to blame. the mere existence of this tool (and several others) paints frontier as the bad guys, and that much was clear just in the op which actually does so explicitly. so you didn't have to look that far, into a tangential side comment about the hud colors.
I wouldn't call Frontier 'bad guys', but they're certainly not covering themselves in glory here.

FD have been far too soft, and that's only encouraged the hackers to, well, hack away.

Engineer UI Hacking? Playful pat on the bum.
Bot Hacking? Ban the account for just 30 days, problem solved!
Outright cheating? "We're looking into it"

Other games would have used the permanent ban hammer for this sort of nonsense.

I'm on Xbox but I can see this effecting the galaxy I and others play in. With the majority of the development team working on the 2020 update and everyone else working on smaller updates, I doubt if this will be fixed any-time soon.

This is what happens when you're too soft, FD.

yessss!! cut their heads of!!!
frontier, use your flamboyant sword of justice!
just ...
do it ...
somehow!

so might you all please direct the sword's attention to the next cheater, and vengeance will be served.

(we will be playing the same game though)

I wouldn't call Frontier 'bad guys', but they're certainly not covering themselves in glory here.

i know i must be irritating at this point, forgive me, but it was you who came up with the "bad guys" analogy. i just played along, took it with the recommended pinch of salt. (no, not that salt!) :)

Thanks Ryan and everyone else for fighting the good fight. This doesn't just affect PvPers, it's affecting everyone and it needs to be fixed. The silence from FDev is getting deafening now.

yessss!! cut their heads of!!!
frontier, use your flamboyant sword of justice!
just ...
do it ...
somehow!

so might you all please direct the sword's attention to the next cheater, and vengeance will be served.

(we will be playing the same game though)
I'll start to protest!

bbb.jpg

Great work as always Ryan.

The most shocking thing about this is how many people are using the same name on the MPGH forum as they do here.

Even funnier, a couple of years ago one posted a screenshot on the cheat forum which showed his steam name :D

Not exactly the sharpest tools in the toolbox.

Thanks Ryan and everyone else for fighting the good fight. This doesn't just affect PvPers, it's affecting everyone and it needs to be fixed. The silence from FDev is getting deafening now.

LOL, this just kicked off a few hours ago. Its a bit early to be saying the silence is getting deafening.

And its not like we can expect any sort of feedback from them except for the standard "We are aware and looking into it". Its not like they can really say anything else.

"we are looking in to it"
"stay tuned for more information"
(queue 6 months later... <crickets>)

MDH

The best place to get info won't be from FD. They won't say anything or give away any clues as to what they are doing or what action they are taking.

The best place will be on the cheaters' forum/discord.

It was funny as hell last time FD went on a ban wave and killed the then working cheat. Cries of people declaring ED was rubbish anyway and they wouldn't be playing any more. A number of the more active cheaters lost not just one but multiple accounts (permabans). One guy lost somewhere in the region of 10 accounts.

Unfortunately after that, the cheat devs stopped publicly posting their works and discussing it, so couldn't follow any more what was happening.

Looks like one of ryan's guys got into the closed group, would love to be a fly on the wall there when the bans eventually hit.

The best place to get info won't be from FD. They won't say anything or give away any clues as to what they are doing or what action they are taking.

The best place will be on the cheaters' forum/discord.

It was funny as hell last time FD went on a ban wave and killed the then working cheat. Cries of people declaring ED was rubbish anyway and they wouldn't be playing any more. A number of the more active cheaters lost not just one but multiple accounts (permabans). One guy lost somewhere in the region of 10 accounts.

Unfortunately after that, the cheat devs stopped publicly posting their works and discussing it, so couldn't follow any more what was happening.

Looks like one of ryan's guys got into the closed group, would love to be a fly on the wall there when the bans eventually hit.

I've been here long enough to not wait for too much info from FD, on good and bad. And in these circumstances I completely understand they holding their cards close. As long as they are doing something, or even able to.
Yeh, would love to have a front view seat in there!

MDH

I am particularly in favour of eliminating instance flipping, particularly at places like Dav's Hope. In any multi-player game cheating, exploits & use of unintended loopholes should be taken seriously.

However I don't expect any punishments meted out to be made public (naming & shaming), nor do I expect action to be taken solely on the word of another player or players.
Naming and shaming no worries..agreed BUT the next part of your statement....WHY THE HELL NOT????? (if they have provided bona-fide evidence over and over!)

(DON'T kid yourself if you think FDev are going to monitor and police their own game...they're not! Evidence will ONLY come from other affected users of FDev's product)!)

Last edited:

Falter

Banned
I agree that a lot of this seriously needs to be looked into, and should have by Fdev long ago.
But, at the same time I mean...there were a lot of PVP'ers from certain "META" groups who ran the engineer bugs, heck even some of the big names calling FDev out for lack of action have well...very questionable actions themselves in game as well.

So, while yes, I can agree that Fdev really does need to take action, HOPEFULLY, sooner rather than later.
I do find it a tad ironic that some of the more guilty people are screaming at Fdev to take action when they've only literally been allowed to persist based on Fdev's refusal to do anything anyways.

I'm not saying that it's OK that Fdev can be a sack of dungus when it comes to this, especially in other similar ToS breaches.
But, it is ironic.
Hella' so in my book.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom