Click play nothing happens

I've not played for months decided to reinstall yesterday via Steam. Open launcher click play nothing happens the buttons turn grey for a few seconds that's it.

Fronter support suggested windows updates which there are none to install and mess around with various C++ and Visual Studio installers. Uninstalled all and reinstalled using admin. Still not working!

Checked my firewall nothing blocking there, reinstalled Steam and Elite several times different SSD no luck. I have cleared temp files, tried different Nvidia drivers and I have tried running directly from launcher bypassing Steam. Under manage I've tried running Horizons instead of Odssey still not working..

Any ideas anyone?

I don't have any ideas, but I'm having the same problem, I think. I just bought a second computer and installed Steam and Epic launchers. When I try to launch either one, I get the same results that you got. I'm going to reload the hardware onto my older computer and see if I get the same result on that one.

the servers have been recently down for update 17 they came backup at 1500 today so things should start to work again once the update is fully rolled out which can take up to 48 hrs to fully update all the server' relay's worldwide
may require logging out of steam and launcher once to implement

the servers have been recently down for update 17 they came backup at 1500 today so things should start to work again once the update is fully rolled out which can take up to 48 hrs to fully update all the server' relay's worldwide
may require logging out of steam and launcher once to implement
This problems been happening for days since reinstall not server related sadly.

so its a problem your end somewhere and your not getting past the launcher ………….
mmmmmm (this is very slow to borderline ridiculous for responsiveness be sure to wait at least 5 mins if updating for it to sync etc but I am sure you know dis already......
(as a precautionary measure open internet explorer 11 browser and in its settings reset everything to default)
also in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections adapters check you only have one as elite has been known to pick the wrong one if two available
temp disable antivirus or adittional sec programs till you get in

so lets eliminate steam from das equation too like so https://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe (presuming you bought this game pre april 2019 the standalone should work for u2)
else if insistent on steam try unlinking / relinking fdev and steam accounts
good luck fa now

Last edited:
so its a problem your end somewhere and your not getting past the launcher ………….
mmmmmm (this is very slow to borderline ridiculous for responsiveness be sure to wait at least 5 mins if updating for it to sync etc but I am sure you know dis already......
(as a precautionary measure open internet explorer 11 browser and in its settings reset everything to default)
also in Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections adapters check you only have one as elite has been known to pick the wrong one if two available
temp disable antivirus or adittional sec programs till you get in

so lets eliminate steam from das equation too like so https://hosting.zaonce.net/elite/Client-Installer.exe (presuming you bought this game pre april 2019 the standalone should work for u2)
else if insistent on steam try unlinking / relinking fdev and steam accounts
good luck fa now
Yeah I backed so I'll try your download link and run without Steam thanks :)

optionally you can drop steam alltogether as the new launcher can be run without steam.
funily enough i had steam on for u17 so it will update asap without my input while im doing other stuff, and i had to launch the launcher for it to actually start updating...

If the buttons turn grey and then revert to normal than it could be because the game is looking for a version of NET framework that isn't installed on your machine. Used to be that the file "EDLaunch.exe.config" (it is in your EDLaunch directory) had two startup lines, one for NET version 2 and one for NET version 4. If one version was missing then you got the symptoms you describe. So inside my file it now reads:

<startup>
<supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8" />
</startup>

So have a look inside your file and see if there is an extra line in there asking for NET version 2 - delete that line, leaving what mine shows, and see if that helps.

BTW - MAKE A COPY FIRST

Good luck

ya that netframework and direct x9 web update and c++ visual studio are the main launcher prerquisite's needed for it to work properly...……………………….
do other direct x games work for you?

Last edited:
ya that netframework and direct x9 web update and c++ visual studio are the main launcher prerquisite's needed for it to work properly...……………………….
do other direct x games work for you?
Yeah everything else works fine. I'll give the minimal ED launcher a go tonight if I get time.

Alas I have been unable to resolve this if anyone else has any ideas please let me know otherwise Elite Dangerous has lost a vet player :-( Frontier have been unable to help. I've even tried Windows 11 on a completely different connection.

Checked my firewall nothing blocking there, reinstalled Steam and Elite several times different SSD no luck.
If you're not installing it on your C drive, that's more than likely the problem. If you're going through Steam it has to be on the same drive with the Steam install. I don't have any experience with the non-steam installation, but typically anything that requires system libraries to run has to be installed on the same drive as the OS or it has major issues running because it doesn't have access to the libraries it needs.

If you're on Windows 10 or 11, installing on a different drive from the OS drive is very problematic due to permissions issues. You'll need to install it as administrator and run in as administrator or it will fail.

One thing is certain: this is not a Frontier issue. This is an issue you have on your system and how it's set up. If you're installing on an external drive, it will in all likelihood never work.

If you're not installing it on your C drive, that's more than likely the problem. If you're going through Steam it has to be on the same drive with the Steam install. I don't have any experience with the non-steam installation, but typically anything that requires system libraries to run has to be installed on the same drive as the OS or it has major issues running because it doesn't have access to the libraries it needs.

If you're on Windows 10 or 11, installing on a different drive from the OS drive is very problematic due to permissions issues. You'll need to install it as administrator and run in as administrator or it will fail.
I've never had an issue with installing on a drive other than the C drive, never had to run as admin either and my user is just that, a user rather than an admin.

But as we know every Windows system is different so it may be necessary in some cases, but by no means in all.

I've never had an issue with installing on a drive other than the C drive
If it's a partitioned drive or inline internal drive, you won't typically have an issue. If you're plugging in all kinds of different external drives and installing to them, which it sounds like what he's doing, you will. Guaranteed.

If you install to an external drive and start Steam without it connected then that can mess Steam up. I've never had it cause the issue that the OP seems to be having though, it won't even be able to find the launcher - in Steam it should say that the game isn't installed at all, if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom