Coaster Smoothness

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That Chinese video is totally like riding Planet coaster coaster. ;) Only it is real life.... [where is it] Which should be better! [cry][haha] Real life that is. A game we can excuse, but real life....

Last edited:
..... Of course the new coaster is free so we can't look a gifted horse in the mouth, but the hefty priced DLC also has its fair share of blunders. .....

C´mon you cannot be serious about what you said? Ok, update is free, it doesn´t mean it´s ok if it´s lower quality!

1) Frontire earns money even on free updates (more people buy the game)
2) Games in general are more often released "unfinished" and are being updated with the content for free, because (and that is true), base game isn´t sufficient without these free content updates. Free content updates are actually expected and we also expect certain quality.
3) If their aproach to the quality is just like what you said "it´s free, so it can be bad" then I would greatly appreaciate if this additional free content wasn´t added at all and they put their efforts into something more useful.

You know, I´m somehow giving up already. After the great launch, things seems to go downhill. And as long as people will keep buying the DLCs, it won´t probably improve very much...

Very nice! There is a new Thread with the title: "Devs, Can we get a definitive answer on Multiplayer?"
The SECOND answer is from a dev with a clear answer. Why can't they answer us? I'm getting really frustrated.

Very nice! There is a new Thread with the title: "Devs, Can we get a definitive answer on Multiplayer?"
The SECOND answer is from a dev with a clear answer. Why can't they answer us? I'm getting really frustrated.

While it would have been better to get at least sort of reaction, it´s very likely either no or that they don´t know and don´t want to promise anything. From my experience (fresh one is with RCTW), when devs don´t unswer than it means it´s not going to happen, or very likey not going to happen. I remember Atari/Nvizzio ignoring almost everything, but from time to time, they answered if the answer was positive.

True. But James mentioned that at the expo they did say some stuff about it. No reason they can't say the same stuff here.

the feedback we got (a little group of us talking to a developer) was:
* in the data (code) the joins are now smooth (there are "debug" views they can use to check all the angles and stuff)
* but when viewing the joins (the ui / grpahics), it appears they are not smooth; it's a rendering issue.

it's like a smooth curve rendering as pixelated - it's smooth but doesn't look it - but more complex than that.

and they are working on it, it will be fixed, but because it's all so complicated, it will take time to isolate.
takes time to isolate a cause, and don't want to risk fixing that cause, but making a different cause worse.

so, wait patiently, they got the message and they are working on it.
is that all true? no idea. but it seemed real to me, and the detail (which i don't recall accurately enough to repeat) seemed very credible and genuine.
and as a few have pointed out, it is not uncommon that we get a "sudden" fix to a 6-12-month old complaint...

now, why do they not say that here?
because, what if, it takes 18 months to chase down 7-8 interacting causes and fix them all?
imagine the outrage!
really, it's a hopeless no-win for Frontier to tell us anything about issues that contain such uncertainties.

better to just fix it, and then... SURPRISE!

the feedback we got (a little group of us talking to a developer) was:
* in the data (code) the joins are now smooth (there are "debug" views they can use to check all the angles and stuff)
* but when viewing the joins (the ui / grpahics), it appears they are not smooth; it's a rendering issue.

it's like a smooth curve rendering as pixelated - it's smooth but doesn't look it - but more complex than that.

and they are working on it, it will be fixed, but because it's all so complicated, it will take time to isolate.
takes time to isolate a cause, and don't want to risk fixing that cause, but making a different cause worse.

so, wait patiently, they got the message and they are working on it.
is that all true? no idea. but it seemed real to me, and the detail (which i don't recall accurately enough to repeat) seemed very credible and genuine.
and as a few have pointed out, it is not uncommon that we get a "sudden" fix to a 6-12-month old complaint...

now, why do they not say that here?
because, what if, it takes 18 months to chase down 7-8 interacting causes and fix them all?
imagine the outrage!
really, it's a hopeless no-win for Frontier to tell us anything about issues that contain such uncertainties.

better to just fix it, and then... SURPRISE!

Great news, at least we know why it isn´t fixed. It´s rly not simple problem to solve.

I was wondering though, from what I understand it´s a rendering problem (so the track is smooth, but the render itself is not). Why is the 1st person camera jerky too? Because in theory, it should follow these "joints" not the rendered track we see...

i asked about the fact that, in this thread, we wonder if maybe improved smoothness is an illusion of coaster cam (i.e. track is bumpy and camera smooths it) and the response was something like, "nah, it's the other way around - the track data is smooth, the camera increases jerkiness, the forum speculation is wrong". something about the way the camera jumps from one point to the next each frame maybe? i don't recall exactly... i was left with the mental image that each frame the camera jumps to the next position (next frame), and then realigns directionally, it's adding a "jerk" as it realigns, it obviously isn't a perfect traverse - not as bad as the visual appearance, but not as smooth as the underlying data. i could be wrong but that's the impression i got from the description.

Here in lies the frustration however, they know we are here and have gotten the theory wrong yet were ignored, I absolutely destroyed Atari for this with RCTW and honestly thought frontier were far far better than this , i get it can lead to more but the majority of us are happy now we know what you've told us.

i asked about the fact that, in this thread, we wonder if maybe improved smoothness is an illusion of coaster cam (i.e. track is bumpy and camera smooths it) and the response was something like, "nah, it's the other way around - the track data is smooth, the camera increases jerkiness, the forum speculation is wrong". something about the way the camera jumps from one point to the next each frame maybe? i don't recall exactly... i was left with the mental image that each frame the camera jumps to the next position (next frame), and then realigns directionally, it's adding a "jerk" as it realigns, it obviously isn't a perfect traverse - not as bad as the visual appearance, but not as smooth as the underlying data. i could be wrong but that's the impression i got from the description.

Did notice it too, but I was hesitant to jump into conclusions.

I had this same opinion

The whole "the track is smooth but the camera is not" causes concern for me because I have seem many instances where the smooth tool actually makes things worse

Last edited:

Its not just the camera. You can see the same jerky movements in the coaster trains themselves when you preview them off-ride.

Sure. So. Imagine you're staring at the debug data and it's smooth. The coaster goes by. The data says it's smooth. But you are clearly seeing it jump or jerk.

Then what? You know it's not the formulas in the base object code. You know it's not the Sim. So it's "the rendering". But the data is fine, and you know the rendering is supposedly based on the data...
And so, the bug hunt begins.
And it could take days, or weeks, or months, to isolate. It should be right, but it's wrong.
It could be a tiny stupid typo somewhere. A magical + instead of -. An accidental integer that should be a double. Etc etc.
I hate those kinda defects.
"How long to fix it?" says mngt. "Probably 36 seconds after I find it", says me. It ain't the fixing, often, it's the finding.

Ive done plenty of debudding myself in my life, I know how it goes. [tongue]

What strikes me as odd is that the actual coaster smoothness issue doesnt look like a bug at all. It's just simple non-continuous banking that is the issue. Compare it to NoLimits 1 without continuous-roll enabled. You get the same exact results.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom