Cobra mk3 for exploring?

Biased on what Engineers i believe you have.
Farseeer , Lei Cheung and Tod
Here is an Explorer build within your capabilities.
Setting power priorities as shown is ideal for this build so you don't over load the power plant when you turn on an auto field maintenance unit.

Brilliant cheers guys
Both look awesome, those jump ranges are pretty insane :).
Think i was concentrating too much on defence and 'just in case' stuff. Also wrongly thinking "bigger number = better" all the time. But I've got a much better idea of what im doing now, thanks again :).

D modules are lightest, but it can often end up a bit of a trade-off / juggling act. Certainly part of 'exploration' builds is actually knowing WHAT you are doing: Is it exploration i.e. you are heading off into the great unknown to view planets and star systems, land, explore planetary surfaces and features, track down NSP and awesome sights or, is it more travelling: You want to go to Beagle point and back as fast as you can? or Travel to a particular star system etc but NOT land on planetary surfaces?

It can make a difference, of course. If you aren't going to land on anything then shields can probably be taken off, BUT if you are planning on landing on anything SHEILDS IMHO are essential and they saved my bacon a couple of times.

Liekwise the AFMU - meh. I didn't find it as useful as I thought I might, so I'll ditch mine when I make up my next long range build, same with heat sinks, repair limpets etc. I made a 'useful for any situation explorer' and all it did was cut down my Jump Range unnecessarily IMO. I'd definitely go leaner next time - THAT SAID - I learned a few lessons in my first few weeks exploring and I damaged my ship quite a bit.

My advice then is: go for a fair distance run as your first expedition to see what works and what doesn't (50,000ly or less) - or an old favourite like SAG A and back, or south polar and back - there are some interesting POI's on EDSM you can plan a route to so you don't feel like you end up losing 000,000,000 credits if you belly out on a 3G planet because you forgot to check its gravity before you landed!!

Bon voyage.....

D are lightest. Cool thanks ill remember that :). Definitely thinking more 'exploration', with everything u listed there (tho travelling fast would be useful for the engineer grind im currently doing)

Going to land on planets, really like the SRV, (figured out how to flips using the air jets, so currently trying strafing runs in it, makes mining in it a bit more fun haha) so will have shields.

did wonder if AFMU or repair limpets were any good, and i agree about heat sinks, had them on my vulture, but didnt use them really at all, so swapped them for a second chaff (i keep it unassigned, then assign it to a fire group when the first one runs out), helped loads when i had prolonged combat/multiple fights in one trip.

Cool, that sounds good. Ill do that :). not sure when itll be: going to finish my combat vulture, unlock a few more engineers and get the guardian tech, then can do all this; but ill post screenshots and stuff when i do.

Thanks, maybe see you out there o7

Regarding bringing amfu's and repair limpets, you may as well, you'll have plenty of internal slots to play around with. Just don't forget a small cargo slot for your limpets.

I personal wouldn't skimp on shields or thrusters, otherwise the first high G planet you come across will probably destroy you. This was what turned me away from a glass cannon build to a more durable ship

Yeah might give the amfu a go, not sure about repair limpets, but ill try them if the amfu doesnt work out.

Yeah definitely going to have shields, for landing if nothing else. As for thrusters I will probably just leave the existing thrusters on there, saves me buying and engineering them again.

Regarding bringing amfu's and repair limpets, you may as well, you'll have plenty of internal slots to play around with. Just don't forget a small cargo slot for your limpets.

I personal wouldn't skimp on shields or thrusters, otherwise the first high G planet you come across will probably destroy you. This was what turned me away from a glass cannon build to a more durable ship
Yeah, completely agree with this. If you're confident you can fly consistently and safely then AFMUs and repair limpets are not essential but if you're planning a longer trip then what they cost you in jump range is pretty negligible so you might as well stick 'em on.

I don't normally have issues, but due to my own stupidity - attempting to learn FA off canyon flying 45k lys out - I found myself down to ~16% hull so I could have done with repair limpets. o_O:D

Apologies if someone else has covered it, but also make sure you set up your power priorities before you depart. Will just save you an unecessary and frustrating visit to the re-buy screen for what would otherwise be a minor incident.

Cool :) ill give them ago.

Someone said about canyon on FB the other week, would love to give that ago some day, sounds like a laugh :D. but yeah sounds like they would of been useful in your case lol.

yes someone did mention it, think it was wetwire when he suggested a build; but no worries i smoke a lot so sometimes need things repeating to drum them into me haha

Cool, might do DBX. Heard/read alot saying its a bit horrible to fly and the cockpit view isnt the best. But i have saved that build for future reference :) haha.

Just one thing about AFMUs: you'll really need them if you want to go onto the Neutron Highway. Every ~10-20 boosts, you'll need to repair your FSD. As long as you don't do neutron boosting, they're of limited value. Yes, you will run into a planet or a star occasionally, but these kinds of accident will tax all modules equally - and you can't repair your Power Plant, so if that one goes, it's game over.

Just one thing about AFMUs: you'll really need them if you want to go onto the Neutron Highway. Every ~10-20 boosts, you'll need to repair your FSD. As long as you don't do neutron boosting, they're of limited value. Yes, you will run into a planet or a star occasionally, but these kinds of accident will tax all modules equally - and you can't repair your Power Plant, so if that one goes, it's game over.

Thats good to know, cheers. Might leave them off, then just add when i do that neutron highway you mentioned.

I really rather dislike Neutron Stars - they tend to do a lot of unnecessary damage to your ship. I can see the use if you need them to make an 'essential' jump to a far point, provided of course you can get back!), but just to cut down on some travel time - not for me thanks!

AFMU - need it for the 'Just one more jump' bug. The one more jump at 3:57 am, when you may not be on top of your game and possibly had 1 (or 6) too many beers on this marathon exploration while you wife is staying at her mums... I digress. You get distracted, get too close to that O type supergiant and emergency drop 20K LY from the nearest star port and take module damage all over the place (happened to a friend of mine - I would never do such a thing).

Need the AFMU.

My first time out I should have taken two. First one got pretty beat up (can't repair itself).

Fair enough, aboot neutron stars lgjohn. ill bear that in mind. Tho feels like it might be a bit of an ED bucket list thing, so definitely going to do it at least once haha.

AFMU - need it for the 'Just one more jump' bug. The one more jump at 3:57 am, when you may not be on top of your game and possibly had 1 (or 6) too many beers on this marathon exploration while you wife is staying at her mums... I digress. You get distracted, get too close to that O type supergiant and emergency drop 20K LY from the nearest star port and take module damage all over the place (happened to a friend of mine - I would never do such a thing).

Need the AFMU.

My first time out I should have taken two. First one got pretty beat up (can't repair itself).
Aw yeah, i know the feeling. i play mostly at that time of night, tho its coz i work nights and its usually a ton of weed rather beer mind (odd whisky too saying that) lol. (Tho sux about ur wife, hope everythings good now :) ).
Might be an idea for me to have a afmu after all, tho ill see how i get on. Worst thats happened tome so far coz of stoned late night playing is a nodded off for a split second and got a bit close to a sun as i dropped into a system, so might be ok.
Thanks for the advice o7

Cool, might do DBX. Heard/read alot saying its a bit horrible to fly and the cockpit view isnt the best. But i have saved that build for future reference :) haha.
The DBX was my first exploration ship and she served me well ‘Arctic Vixen’. I did quite a large exploration trip south of the bubble and then over to the Formadine Rift, with a visit to the Zurara ghost ship on my way home.

It’s a bit quirky and feels a bit basic but that adds to the excitement of being out in the black. Should also have a better cockpit view than the Cobra Mk III. But it is cheap so you should be able to keep your Cobra Mk III.

Good luck!

The DBX was my first exploration ship and she served me well ‘Arctic Vixen’. I did quite a large exploration trip south of the bubble and then over to the Formadine Rift, with a visit to the Zurara ghost ship on my way home.

It’s a bit quirky and feels a bit basic but that adds to the excitement of being out in the black. Should also have a better cockpit view than the Cobra Mk III. But it is cheap so you should be able to keep your Cobra Mk III.

Good luck!

Cool :), another vote for DBX, might be something to it after all lol. Cool name, my starting sidewinder was called Dire Fox (im not very imaginative, but foxes lol). but yeah that sounds good, especially the ghost ship :). Reckon im going to have to go back thru this thread and make a bucket list out of all these places and things people have mentioned haha.

Fair enough, quirky is cool and i can live with basic (less to go wrong right? haha). thats true, they are stupidly cheap. maybe ill grab one and slowly do it up while finishing off my vulture or something.
Thanks o7

Top Bottom