Cockpit Legs Campaign

This is one of the old videos I was thinking of.
It's something they definatly want. and the more I look at what we have in-game right now, the more it looks lok they are gearing up for that kind of gameplay.
But it's not ready, not in the slightest, they're struggling to get basic gravity concepts down let alone full Zero-G movement and the possibility of gravity artificial
gravity under your own thrust.
It would never take minutes to exit a ship, unless ships were made into sadistic rat mazes.

Most games exaggerate sprinting speeds, so expect at worst to run 100 meters in around 10 seconds (similar to the fastest humans) or even less. So sprinting from one end to the other of an Imperial Cutter would take less than 20 seconds. But the thing is, all ships have either the cockpit / bridge or the exit near the center of the ship, so the distances involved to exit a ship would be much smaller. For instance, the exit of the Imperial Cutter is right behind the bridge area. Corvette and Anaconda bridges are near(ish) the center. T-9 / T-10 have more width than length.

In the worst case scenario would it take something like 15 seconds or so to exit the ship with the largest distance from cockpit to exit (perhaps the Beluga?), if you're in a hurry.
Ships, Elite ships and Earth naval ships alike are by nature rat-maze like. The vast majority of their internal space is occupied by actual, functional modules.
Of course, for some of the ships They clearly have disembark doros and hatches very close to the cockpit, these would make for excellent exploration ships and
personel transport.
But something like a Beluga and a Corvette won't care as much and will force the player to navigate as much as 200 meters of ship, through maze like conditions.
Honestly I think they should just embrace a short range teleport mechanic now that we have fade to black. Maybe its a thing reserved for very large ships?
Erm... Well, I think that's some pretty optimistic thinking there.
They may have designed them, "on paper" to account for being able to use interiors later, but I highly doubt they've made any of that stuff you mentioned there, it'd be a huge waste of time.
Almost certaintly the cockpits have 0 collision models, and if there are any they are probably as crude as simple trapezoids.
My Pilot must have a magnetic bum because she doesn`t have a harness to strap her in the seat. 🤪
After looking at the player models it seems the flight suit has many attachment points, both magnetic and physical on the back of the suit,
for air, seatbelt like connection, power, data, etc.
Also we have mag-boots that are always on metal rudder pedals.
A few people have stipulated the condition that walking about in the cockpit should only be allowed if the ship is landed or stationary. The main reason I've seen given for that is that if you're about to crash or have anything else happen to your ship whilst out of the pilot seat, you might be too late getting back into your chair. I see that as just part of the game. You take the risks you choose to take, and live with consequences.

The only other reason I can think of, is to do with the ship being flown vigorously by another commander while you're walking about in the cockpit, and what would happen if the ship rolled and looped, etc. For me the magnetic shoes would be enough to explain away your character not being tossed around inside the ship like a rag doll. I'm not overly concerned about what space magic explanation is used to allow for things like this though, but ymmv. Don't get me wrong though, an attempt at some cogency and consistency would be appreciated nonetheless.
This I think is the much greater problem, what happens if the ship moves in an unexpected way when moving about, Elite isn't like other games.
Let's say you're on a 6G planet walking about your ship hovering above the surface, then you thrusters go off and you go into a dive. you'll just fall onto the cockpti window.
And currently there is no animation or recovery method for dealing with that kind of solution, no grabbing onto things, no sliding animation.
If they're going to do it I'l like the full package thank you very much :)
And this is where I'd simply suggest that Frontier announce artificial gravity, or any other real or made up tech to support the feature. But I know that would not sit well would some, so hopefully they have a better explanation. Failing that though, I'd prefer the feature be implemented even if a cogent explanation can't be had. People will suspend their disbelief or assume a technological solution, just as they would for any Sci-Fi setting, and in any case it'd be better to be able to do something and wonder why, rather than not be able to do something and wonder why not.
Artificial gravity is actually just as problematic as the zero-g stuff.
Dealing with the concept of physics grids and local physics calculations and changing gravity fields is a flaming nightmare in games.
Elite doesn't have artificial gravity without thrusters and spinning and its not going to change.
And I'l like it to stay that way, its already jarring as hell having planets and outpsots and stations having people walking around like normal, with not even a mag-boot sound to justify it.

There is plenty to gameplay to be had in station interiors.
The much more pressing issue is developing that gameplay (that they clearly want) alongside the planet-side stuff as well is a bit too much for 1 update.
If you haven't noticed, there is already stuff like cutting open panels on ships, pulling power cores (Power Regulators) from fusion reactors,
charging and breaching doors.
There's lots of interesitng gameplay that could be had.

If they're going to do it I'l like the full package thank you very much :)
(If you mean cockpitlegs at landed mode too)
I understand that, but I think, a option just to stand up, move to the first door inside your ship, use a menu to switch between SRV bay/fighter bay (if installed) or leave the ship from there to the first door outside with a black screen. There they can just add a sound where a (future ship like) door opens and closes.
Ok for now let us forget firstly the SRV bay/fighter bay again, what means development time ^^
I just think it was/is really needed for the odyssey launch, because this small detail adds the real Armstrong moment from everyone speaks xD and change a good portion of feelings..
Like „[VR] CMDR Novindus“ said, it’s already in the game (the Cockpits). There is not much work needed to add this thing.
Otherwise we have to wait certainly 2 year before any finished package will happen.

Odyssey is released now, but still I think it’s not to late for that small part (big part for me). But now maybe not before 3.1 and after the tonns of fixes/improvements on other points from odyssey needed.. (if we are at 3.0 at the moment - I don’t know right now)

After this, yap still we get some players who say again „that’s all?“ ^^ they just need to know = „better then nothing - more is coming later“

That’s my thoughts
:)

Last edited:
Otherwise we have to wait certainly 2 year before any finished package will happen.

My money's on at least 4+ years (or never).

At least 1 year to fix and push Odyssey. Then at least 2 years to develop the next expansion, plus at least 1 year to fix the next expansion after release.

(If you mean cockpitlegs at landed mode too)
I understand that, but I think, a option just to stand up, move to the first door inside your ship, use a menu to switch between SRV bay/fighter bay (if installed) or leave the ship from there to the first door outside with a black screen. There they can just add a sound where a (future ship like) door opens and closes.
Ok for now let us forget firstly the SRV bay/fighter bay again, what means development time ^^
I just think it was/is really needed for the odyssey launch, because this small detail adds the real Armstrong moment from everyone speaks xD and change a good portion of feelings..
Like „[VR] CMDR Novindus“ said, it’s already in the game (the Cockpits). There is not much work needed to add this thing.

Odyssey is released now, but still I think it’s not to late for that small part (big part for me). But now maybe not before 3.1 and after the tonns of fixes/improvements on other points from odyssey needed.. (if we are at 3.0 at the moment - I don’t know right now)

After this, yap still we get some players who say again „that’s all?“ ^^ they just need to know = „better then nothing - more is coming later“

That’s my thoughts
:)
In theory they could let us only walk around when docked, but tbh this would probably annoy people,
including me, considering you would only be able to walk around your ship in very specific cases, cases when you usually want to get out and walk around you ship anyway.

The only thing I think they should have done is put us in the cargo hatch standing on a thin platform, so we can jump to the ground,
instead of just teleporting to it.

In theory they could let us only walk around when docked, but tbh this would probably annoy people,
including me, considering you would only be able to walk around your ship in very specific cases, cases when you usually want to get out and walk around you ship anyway.

The only thing I think they should have done is put us in the cargo hatch standing on a thin platform, so we can jump to the ground,
instead of just teleporting to it.
Be aware that you can still use the option to teleport. And also is it a option to stay up walk around the cockpit and use the door what moves you directly in front of the ships outer door where you can use the stairs..
So you would like more to have a designed cargo hatch room as a option that you can teleport into from your seat, where you can jump to the ground, instead of a walkable cockpit and the outer stairs where you can walk/jump down to the surface ?

:D

Be aware that you can still use the option to teleport. And also is it a option to stay up walk around the cockpit and use the door what moves you directly in front of the ships outer door where you can use the stairs..
So you would like more to have a designed cargo hatch room as a option that you can teleport into from your seat, where you can jump to the ground, instead of a walkable cockpit and the outer stairs where you can walk/jump down to the surface ?

:D
The cargo hatch options takes far less development time and helps to provide the "armstrong" moment,
There are some 40 ships in the game now, all of which would require update assets, authored assets like sound stages,
culling setups, collision mshes, stairs and doors which are currently, not good enough for their standards.

Compare that to the cargo bay, which aside fromt the space behind the door, is almost completely done, and is on every ship save 4.

Of course, in an ideal world, I would have all of the above, but that world doesn't exist :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom