Combat Drones?

Who said anything about open only.
Indeed, who did? Wasn't me.
It was suggested many moons ago that pvp orientated PP should exist and be rewarded by a higher % handed in. And single/solo cmdrs a lesser %. This way both parties are placated.
A terrible approach, but that's off topic.
Drones as regards offensive use.
Most murder boats (I have 2) are limited by their armoured power plants output. With a power gobbling fsd interdictor and prismatics, shielded fsd, etc, powers at a premium.
Whereas cargo vessels can have an overcharged power plant and are not so concerned with limited output.
So make the drones internal unit size 1 or 2 a high power hungry module. Thus curtailing its use as a viable offensive weapon.
That just changes the shape of a murderboat build, tbh
Also drones deployed from the rear of a vessel would have a much bigger impact on an attacking vessel that's BEHIND the defender. Whereas drones deployed by an offensive vessel would have flying time to reach the intended target. This "balance" would need to be fine tuned to reflect this.
People already use mines and other rear- deployed weapons to great effect in offensive attacks. This would just be another tool in that repertoire.
Most PP cargo vessels are either cutters or type 9s 10s or even corvettes. Plenty of scope for another countermeasure.
A murder boat rails or PAs or torps etc have limited scope due to their blinged out hull and shields, & module protection.
A drones module makes sense for a defensive capability. I personally would not wanna give up my limited power (my fdl has x4 short range super pen rails gobbling up huge amounts of power) on my killship.
So, like i said. If drones aren't going to be appealing to a murderboat build, then they won't deter a murderboat when facing them.

Goal of a combat vessel is to destroy, and not be destroyed. If there's no risk of destruction, the murderboat won't be deterred.

I don't think i need to explain how ridiculously powerful these drones would need to be to make a rail/PA boat (which has high armour/shields and high damage) flinch at the thought of engaging a target that likely has comparatively paper- thin shields and armour... we're talking the drones needing to have in- excess of ten times the power[1] of that same murderboat here. That's insane, and would just become the next murderboat meta.

[1] since, presumably if the noncom is kitted up for hauling or whatever, it'll have a fraction of the overall damage soak of a murderboat, while also doing a fraction of the damage compared to the murderboat without these magic drones.

Last edited:
There is no balance between a murder boat and a cargo vessel. Spoken like a cmdr soley in solo.
The coming PP changes with a pvp angle will require anything and every possible countermeasure a cargo vessel can get its hands on to thwart said murder boat.
Chaff, mines, drones. Just makes sense.
Most everything that trucks that's T7 or bigger can be made to tank 1 gank ship, and anything Krait and bigger can tank a wing, though.

Most everything that trucks that's T7 or bigger can be made to tank 1 gank ship, and anything Krait and bigger can tank a wing, though
See now that's just plain wrong. My fdl railer will shred a fully engineered cutter in less than a minute..
And a PA fdl well aimed probably just as good.
I can happily demonstrate if you like

See now that's just plain wrong. My fdl railer will shred a fully engineered cutter in less than a minute..
And a PA fdl well aimed probably just as good.
I can happily demonstrate if you like
It will not take a Cutter a minute to wake out and type "gg ez" in chat. You can demonstrate, yes, but you, and all of your friends combined, have no ship combination that could kill my trade Cutter. You would watch me wake every single time. I wasn't discussing the cargo ship staying and fighting because that's not a good idea. I was meaning, cargo ships can already be made to be safe from gank wings if built correctly. A cargo ship should not be able to put up a serious fight against a dedicated combat vessel, that would be far too imbalanced.

Fsd disruptor missiles
Drag munitions
And sub targeting your engines.
And I'll admit. I'm not alone hehe. The missus in her missile boat mamba will ensure your trade cutter goes knowhere cept down.
I have a trade cutter too. She's brutal. And fast. But disabled fsd means no high wake and 4 size 2 short range rails with super pen just deadly. I've had her upto 600° and still firing all 4 in combo.
Damn fine ship the fdl is.

Fsd disruptor missiles
Drag munitions
And sub targeting your engines.
And I'll admit. I'm not alone hehe. The missus in her missile boat mamba will ensure your trade cutter goes knowhere cept down.
I have a trade cutter too. She's brutal. And fast. But disabled fsd means no high wake and 4 size 2 short range rails with super pen just deadly. I've had her upto 600° and still firing all 4 in combo.
Damn fine ship the fdl is.
Yes and you will still watch me wake every time. FSD missiles are easy to hard counter and drag has no bearing at all on waking. Rail guns won't do damage if they don't crack shields. Sub target anything, you won't hit them.

https://edsy.org/s/vYAN9Hh I have escaped more vicious gankers, in notably less durable ships. A CG built Cutter wouldn't even break a sweat. There's still room on that build for anti-piracy gear and it will still be unkillable by your wing.

There is no balance between a murder boat and a cargo vessel.
Heh.
Even in solo it makes difference, as long as pirate will interdict you.
Pirates not always are deadly condas, and when I started game I did exactly that.
My t9 had slf, turrets and some shields. I had smaller cargo, but on another hand I was able to kill some smaller pirates, or survive against better pirates long enough to see security ships to help me :)

Of course it is specific situation, not for all ships, and definetely not after some engineering (hehe, cutter which will outrun any pirate, or even kille them in shieldless, max cargo variant).

Top Bottom