Comparison of previous 'Elites' (official and otherwise) up to Elite Dangerous

Excellent Stream Drew, just watched it this morning......took me back to the days in the 80's with my C64, Atari ST & Amiga computers, playing those versions of Elite.
The original Elite was the only one that I could say I completed to the end point of Elite status.
Best memory was playing Elite while watching the 85 Live Aid concert on tv!
Somewhere in my attack I still have my old 'trading books' recording details of what I bought & sold. Plus my maps of the 8 galaxies, as I tried to get to every System in the Galaxies....I think I'd got Gal's 1 & 2 completed (apart from those that even a misjump couldn't reach) & part way through Gal 3 when Elite status was reached.
All on my C64 with the tape deck to load the game - & reload many times as loading failure rates were quite high back in those days.

Not all games are for all people I guess. For me the elite games are pretty much my favourite games of all time
Quite true. Most of my gaming centered around RPG’s like the Final Fantasy series, Ultima and, dating myself, Zork games.

It wasn’t until much later I started getting into other genres, but in most cases it’s story that draws me in; with Elite, it was just an urge for something outside my normal realm.

Quite true. Most of my gaming centered around RPG’s like the Final Fantasy series, Ultima and, dating myself, Zork games.

Zork was my first game on the PC. I had to sign up at the local library to play it. I know now it wasn't real AI, but it sure felt like it was reading my mind.

Prior to Elite: Dangerous, I’d never heard of the series. Looking back at the old versions, I didn’t miss anything. Not something I’d have played back then. Not something I’d play now, for free.
It's pretty much impossible now to comprehend just how impressive the original Elite was when it came out. If you were willing to play any computer game, you wouldn't have turned up your nose at Elite.

Edit: I've just looked up Zork. Let me amend my statement to "any heavily graphics-based computer game".

Last edited:
It's pretty much impossible now to comprehend just how impressive the original Elite was when it came out. If you were willing to play any computer game, you wouldn't have turned up your nose at Elite.

Edit: I've just looked up Zork. Let me amend my statement to "any heavily graphics-based computer game".

I wasn’t much for action-based games back then. I wasn’t much in to computer game back then either. The most “graphics-intensive” I really got into were the old SSI D&D games, and I wouldn’t exactly call them “intensive”.

I did give a go at one or two of the Wing Commander series, but found them overly simple, repetitive and uninspiring.

It wasn’t until much later I started getting into other genres, but in most cases it’s story that draws me in; with Elite, it was just an urge for something outside my normal realm.
Don't get me wrong I like a good narrative too and I don't buy that it isn't possible in ED. There are plenty of other open world games which do much better than ED. I am not demanding full on mass effect here or anything but surely there must be a half way house between mass effect and what we have now?

Even 1st encounters had a story if you chose to follow it.

Don't get me wrong I like a good narrative too and I don't buy that it isn't possible in ED. There are plenty of other open world games which do much better than ED. I am not demanding full on mass effect here or anything but surely there must be a half way house between mass effect and what we have now?

Even 1st encounters had a story if you chose to follow it.

Mass Effect didn’t just nail storytelling, it hot-riveted and then welded storytelling. Studios worldwide should take note - that is how you tell story. Close runner-up would be Dead Space.

Could the Elite platform tell a good, cohesive, engaging story? Absolutely.
Could Frontier? The shadow of doubt looms ominously here.

And it’s nothing against Frontier. Some people can tell a good tale. Others can relate facts and statistics. Few can do both.

Happy Valentine's day. 😜
valentines1.jpg

Back at ya! Any of yous Morans gotta a problem wit’ dat’? No? Good.

So many memories. I've played FE for few years. I remember an outbreak near starting system and milk runs with medicines. Asp E with one missile slot. Plethora of ships. Military drives. Waves of pirates in anarchy systems.

Top Bottom