Hardware & Technical Computer Build to run Elite Dangerous

Unfortunately that wont be anywhere near enough to max out star citizen.
You will need another black cheque to sign.
Have you got room for another 3 of those 780 cards for a quad sli setup?

Last edited:
Unfortunately that wont be anywhere near enough to max out star citizen.
You will need another black cheque to sign.
Have you got room for another 3 of those 780 cards for a quad sli setup?

ha ha we will see.

I do keep up to date on the forums there and while some people are building insane rigs others keep saying that its based on Cry3 engine (is that how you say it?) and that the hardware specs won't be nearly as high as some are fearing.

Who knows though ..... I'm not too concerned in that regard.
If I can at least get the gameplay smooth enough while having it look as good as Elite D does I'll be happy ...if not I'll dump SC altogether.

I don't think that you will have a problem with that system and 12GB ram will be plenty. It obviously depends on what other software you are going to use.

3DS max and After Effects, hence the ram

My son is running an i7 920 which is water cooled & massively overclocked to 4gHz - it's probably the best overclocking chip we've ever seen. GFX card is an R9 280X & his rig runs any game currently available at max settings.
Maybe you just need to invest in a liquid cooler & apply an overclock ?

Sounds interesting but I have never overclocked before, I have overcooked loads of stuff but that's a different issue ;)
Is it easy??

why on earth would you need 4 780Ti's for SC???

As that's the minimum you need to start maxing things out.
But by the time the game comes out I think you will need something more powerful, whichever cards are the latest in 2015.
Need power for 3+ 4k monitors at 120fps in 3d.
Or there maybe a 4k VR headset in 2015.

Sounds interesting but I have never overclocked before, I have overcooked loads of stuff but that's a different issue ;)
Is it easy??

It's not as difficult as you might think. A number of things will need changing in the BIOS (I'm assuming that any mainboard supporting that chip will not be new enough to have a UEFI) & it can be daunting to mess with such things, but if you get it wrong the usual result is simply a non-booting system, so you just go back & tone things down a little until the system boots reliably.

I suggest you do a search similar to "Overclock i7 920 on xxxxxxx mainboard" (where 'xxxxxxx' is your mainboard model) & see what you can find. I'm willing to bet that there's a pretty comprehensive guide somewhere online.

It IS possibly to fry your system if you get things seriously wrong, but if there's a guide to follow you should be OK.
Let me know your mainboard model & I'll see if I can find a decent guide for you. :)

Are they basing this on something other than the hangar? I'd love to know where they get their information from.

A lot of it is guess work.

Some of it may be based on the idea that the Hornet trailer for Star Citzen. It was supposedly rendered in real-time at 4k. Chris Roberts also said it used 3 Titans in SLI to do this.

That said, even current games like Battlefield 4 etc. can run at 5760x1080 on a single 780 Ti at max settings (but you will probably want more than one if you aim for 120fps). Star Citizen is going to be quite a bit more intensive than that. But as for the final game, who knows?

Last edited:
why on earth would you need 4 780Ti's for SC???

As that's the minimum you need to start maxing things out.
But by the time the game comes out I think you will need something more powerful, whichever cards are the latest in 2015.
Need power for 3+ 4k monitors at 120fps in 3d.
Or there maybe a 4k VR headset in 2015.

A lot of it is guess work.

Some of it may be based on the idea that the Hornet trailer for Star Citzen. It was supposedly rendered in real-time at 4k. Chris Roberts also said it used 3 Titans in SLI to do this.

That said, even current games like Battlefield 4 etc. can run at 5760x1080 on a single 780 Ti at max settings (but you will probably want more than one if you aim for 120fps). Star Citizen is going to be quite a bit more intensive than that. But as for the final game, who knows?

lulz I thought Beachlight was joking around.

I chose refresh rate over resolution for my gaming monitor. So I only need to get it to 1900 x1080 (or whatever the max spec there is....).
I'm not bothered if Star Citizen actually has the ability to get to true 4K resolution because my monitor won't do that anyway...and I don't believe in buying multiple graphics cards (or multiple monitors)

I have the SC hanger module maxed out and it looks gorgeous...and its not taxing my system at all to do so. If the full game can look like that while playing in the open universe, I'll be happy.
Maybe not 'maxed out' to the strict definition of the word then......

I have:
CM Haf 912 case.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard.
Two AMD 7850 2gb video cards in Crossfire.
16gb Corsair XMS 1600mhz ram.
AMD FX-8350 w/16mb cache ram running at 4.4ghz.
Thermaltake 750watt PSU.
Enermax ETS T40-TB w/optional 2nd 120mm fan.
(I idle at 23 centigrade and hit 47 pounding it)
Case has 5 120mm high volume LED lit fans and
a 240mm high volume LED lit fan on top.
Watching it with my ASUS 27" monitor.
Using a Saitek lit keyboard and Drakonia Sharkoon Black mouse
on a Mionix Propus 380 mousepad.
Flying with Saitek X52 joystick/throttle & Saitek Pro Pedals.
Oh yeah and my choice of either Altec Lansing 3 piece sound
system w/sub or a Creative Alpha Tactic gaming headset/mic.
So yeah I'm think I'm good to go with whatever they throw at me.

:cool:

**NOTE**this system is 10 years work to get to, didn't happen overnight.

So I received my beastly rig yesterday. Gave a friend who is a hardware development tech (works for one of the biggest IT companies and works directly with Intel and others) a blank cheque and told him to build me a machine that would max out Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

So yesterday I got back this:

16gig ram (he said only 8 was necessary but I said since ram is cheap...)
Intel i5 4670K
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Motherboard
Gigabyte GTX 780ti overclocked
240gb SSD
2TB 7200rpm hd
Corsaid RM-1000 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
Blu Ray 16x writer
Antec P280 Black Super Mid Tower
Benq 27" 144hz gaming monitor

oh yeah ....and I bought my Saitek x52 Pro a couple of months ago.

I said put in an i7 .....really just because 7 is higher than 5 lulz .....he said no, he's not going to waste my money for no reason and that an i7 will show zero performance advantage for games in this rig ....he knows what he's talking about so I'll take his word for it.

So anyway, I've installed the Elite Alpha and the Star Citizen hanger module.

Elite Alpha runs with all sliders maxed out and at 144hz refresh rate ...and looks amazing. Not sure how to check frame rate but not even a hint at stutter. Silky smooth and gorgeous.

Star Citizen hanger module the same ....but that is just walking around a big box....still the graphics are razor sharp with insane clarity and again not a hint of stutter.

Was also quite impressed that the Saitek x52 Pro is preconfigured in Elite and just instantly works perfectly if you select the option to use it ..... can't figure out how to turn my head and look around though :D

Nice Rig! :cool:

Thank you sir!

I just played the Factions single player mission.

Made me giggle like a school girl. 40+ ships on screen at once (I counted on the radar) including multiple anacondas, two sides at war and laser + missile fire going of in every direction.

All perfectly smooth at the highest graphic settings!
Quite happy right now !

couldn't resist joining in : )

intel i5-4670k (oc'd)
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
16gb G.Skill Ripjaws X series DDR3-2133 (stock)
240GB SSD Mushkin Chronos Deluxe
2x Radeon 7870LE (oc'd)
Thermaltake CLW0217 Water 2.0 Extreme
Seasonic 1000w PSU
Fractal Design Define XL R2

Logitech G5 mouse
Logitech G710 keyboard
Logitech G13 gameboard
Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS
Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals
Logitech G35 headset
TrackIR 5
3x24" monitors in Eyefinity

Almost everybody is concerned by this thread. Who are the latecomers ?

5075076.jpg

5062788.jpg

:D

Just putting my new rig together for E&D.

Intel Core i5 4670K (overclocked)
Radeon R9 270 2GB (overclocked)
Gigabyte Z87-HD3
16GB Geil DRR3
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Corsair 750W RM750 RM Series 80 PLUS Gold

Laptop rig?

Hey all

What are your thoughts on a gamer laptop being able to max this game? The Asus ROG gaming laptops look sweet.

What about Oculus Rift. Any thoughts on resolution and delay/lag?

All the best :)

A really good gaming laptop should play Elite really well, but future expansions (landing on planets and stuff) might put more of a strain on the graphics.

As for Oculus Rift, you are going to need a VERY capable graphics card to obtain maximum performance, so it might be a good idea to go with a reasonable GPU now, and upgrade it to the latest and greatest when the consumer Rift is released.

I have upgraded my OS HD from 120GB to 240GB, and now wondering if I install game on second drive (the 120GB) will it affect the performance running across the 2 HDD's?

Hey all

What are your thoughts on a gamer laptop being able to max this game? The Asus ROG gaming laptops look sweet.

What about Oculus Rift. Any thoughts on resolution and delay/lag?

All the best :)

I got a new pc for alpha that gave benchmark results that were comparable to a good gaming laptop. It runs very well at 1920x1080 at max settings.

Unless mobility is important, I would recommend against getting a gaming laptop though, since they are more expensive than equivalent desk tops, and will overheat more easily because of their smaller size being less able tp remove the heat. Plus, gaming laptops tend to be fugly :p!

Back
Top Bottom