CONCERN: Fearless goats/herbivores.

I've noticed with the goats/herbivores that although they do run away when close to a carnivore (sometimes) as soon as the carnivore catches up, both species suddenly stop in their tracks and go through a killing/eating animation. Now this is okay but I have NEVER seen prey running from a predator and then suddenly stop stop to accept its fate.

I first noticed this on the raptor species profile where the goat just stood there and got pounced on. Now I'm not saying the animations are bad, far from it actually, but we need to see some proper hunting behaviour and pack hunting. When I get this game I expect to see a pack of raptors for example, pursuing their prey across their enclosure, maybe forcing it into a corner or latching on to a bigger prey item as it carries on running to try and bring it down.

Also with the guests when seeing gameplay of the Ceratosaurus breaking free of its enclosure, the same thing happened. The Ceratosaurus would catch up then the guest would lay on the ground with their hand up as if to try and block the bite of the Ceratosaurus. I would be running for my life if that think was after me. We need to see medium to large carnivores to at least pick the guests up as they're running, and the same goes for goats. It's just ruins the immersion in my opinion.

Anyway, I know what we've seen so far is all subject to change but I want to hear your thoughts. Do you think this behaviour will be fixed? Or do you think these animations are intended for the final release?

I've noticed with the goats/herbivores that although they do run away when close to a carnivore (sometimes) as soon as the carnivore catches up, both species suddenly stop in their tracks and go through a killing/eating animation. Now this is okay but I have NEVER seen prey running from a predator and then suddenly stop stop to accept its fate.

I first noticed this on the raptor species profile where the goat just stood there and got pounced on. Now I'm not saying the animations are bad, far from it actually, but we need to see some proper hunting behaviour and pack hunting. When I get this game I expect to see a pack of raptors for example, pursuing their prey across their enclosure, maybe forcing it into a corner or latching on to a bigger prey item as it carries on running to try and bring it down.

Also with the guests when seeing gameplay of the Ceratosaurus breaking free of its enclosure, the same thing happened. The Ceratosaurus would catch up then the guest would lay on the ground with their hand up as if to try and block the bite of the Ceratosaurus. I would be running for my life if that think was after me. We need to see medium to large carnivores to at least pick the guests up as they're running, and the same goes for goats. It's just ruins the immersion in my opinion.

Anyway, I know what we've seen so far is all subject to change but I want to hear your thoughts. Do you think this behaviour will be fixed? Or do you think these animations are intended for the final release?

I was thinking the same thing. I really doubt this will remain the same since its been such a common complaint. The general dinosaur AI seems to be really good and the models themselves are absolutely incredible so I'd be surprised if they left such awkward killing animations and/or prey behaviour the way it is.

The only thing I can think of is the animals have a stamina stat and they stop when they get tired. I have seen plenty of National Geographic shows where a Cheeta will chase a prey animal till it just gets tired and can no longer run.

To be perfectly honest dynamic animation blending between two separate models is really hard, especially if both are in a run animation.

It wouldn't surprise me if this doesn't change because it's really really hard to make that look seamless from a technical perspective.

Top Bottom