General Concerns about autodocking

Your proposal for change is understood, your reasoning is fair enough, and of course it's a change that could be made to the game. You present a good argument and however the current mechanisms are justified, a change could be justified or retconned too.

However what this boils down to is a desire to free up optional module slots, which is a common request and something FDev have actually done in the past (to allow room for modules like these). And I think that stuff like autodock and supercruise assist are luxuries that I do want to be able to replace with cargo space, or more likely HRPs & MRPs. IMO it is supposed to be a dilemma, and I think there should be more little dilemmas and compromises like this in the game, not less.
It would be fairly simple to accomplish both...if one presumes a continued (and flexible) focus upon ship balance. It's my view that for the most part, the 'dilemna' of ship options is hampered, not enhanced, by restricted optional internal slots - because it literally just restricts the options available to you.

I am under the opinion that there is a purpose behind this. If you made a perfect ship that could do everything perfectly then what would you need a choice of ships for? All you would have is a small/medium/large ship. While I cannot claim to be sure about this, I honestly think limiting certain abilities adds to gameplay as you must think about loadouts and ship choices for different uses. I cannot claim to be correct or that my opinion is even right but it is worth stating however.

It would be fairly simple to accomplish both...if one presumes a continued (and flexible) focus upon ship balance. It's my view that for the most part, the 'dilemna' of ship options is hampered, not enhanced, by restricted optional internal slots - because it literally just restricts the options available to you.

You are right of course, it could be done. Personally I prefer the dilemma and thought required to build a ship for an intended purpose, and the (fairly minor outside of PvP) compromises. I also tend towards believing the ships are not TARDIS-like vessels with relaxed rules on internal volume.

I also hold the opinion that while power creep is inevitable it should be mitigated as much as possible.

As far as rock/paper/scissors/lizard/Spock balance is concerned I'm happy enough that some ships are combat focused & some are clearly intended to be built for utility with the compromise (cargo space vs defensive hitpoints) being intentional.

I don't think adding more optional module slots would meaningfully improve the game, the combat ships would just get even stronger making PvP fights last even longer and asymmetric combat even more unbalanced and the cargo ships would be used to hold even more even though in theory combat ships could be built to gain utility and cargo ships could be built tougher.

Good points there, and the fact is there are some ships that cross boundaries already. I have a cargo Cutter that is quite capable of running through a full war zone and hitting back hard. I have a Conda that will travel across the galaxy and still can fight. I have a Krait that can Cargo/Fight and explore. The choices make it more immersive and the limitations are part of those choices.

From the comments I still think that:

• Many commanders don't use reading galnets, codex, or doing anything else during long journeys.
  • That this change, in fact, would not change so significantly a game that has very other components that make it a wonderful game. The answers seem to indicate more of a sense of pride in piloting the ship manually and not a real problem that would ruin the game.
  • I also like the compromises that this game imposes, but this does not mean that some mechanics cannot be improved and honestly over the years I have seen many changes, this seems just the least problematic for me.
  • Due to the “problem” of optional spaces on the ship I did not see all these problems with the introduction of multi-limpet controllers for example. But I'm sure none of you, on principle, installed them, otherwise it ruins the game
  • SDC, ADC and SCA functions are software, it does not make the slightest sense to occupy physical space on the ship. Especially since those functions are already present in the ship.

I could make another proposal at this point on how to optimize this aspect of the on-board computer: A brand new computer assistant and introduction of the software engineers.

This new category of engineers could add, or unlock, new software features to the onboard computer, not only for SDC, ADC and SCA, but also for any new features. And least, some materials that are currently unusable could be exploited. For example, you might think of new interaction functions between the suit and vehicles that are currently absent.

For example:
  • A new function could be introduced that allows the position/distance of biological elements to be marked in the ship and SSRV radar once scanned. Currently it can only be consulted from the suit compass, forcing the player to exit the vehicle whenever he wants to check the distance from the previous scan.
  • An advanced outpost map capture system could be introduced by connecting to the terminal, so you don't always run randomly with a radar that currently can't even show if an element is above or below your location. Maybe it could also show other elements besides the terminal, ammunition and charging panel. It could also show medikits, nearby materials and more...

Could be a good suggestion?

Last edited:
You are right of course, it could be done. Personally I prefer the dilemma and thought required to build a ship for an intended purpose, and the (fairly minor outside of PvP) compromises. I also tend towards believing the ships are not TARDIS-like vessels with relaxed rules on internal volume.

I also hold the opinion that while power creep is inevitable it should be mitigated as much as possible.

As far as rock/paper/scissors/lizard/Spock balance is concerned I'm happy enough that some ships are combat focused & some are clearly intended to be built for utility with the compromise (cargo space vs defensive hitpoints) being intentional.

I don't think adding more optional module slots would meaningfully improve the game, the combat ships would just get even stronger making PvP fights last even longer and asymmetric combat even more unbalanced and the cargo ships would be used to hold even more even though in theory combat ships could be built to gain utility and cargo ships could be built tougher.
Absolutely, more optional internal slots without first addressing the presence of shield/hull inflation would not be good for combat balance, which is in a poor state.

It'd be cleaner to either have a separate 'electronic suite' or simply bake these 'computer' modules into baseline capabilities of our ships, like was done with the discovery scanner. That wouldn't shake the balance situation terribly.

From the comments I still think that:

• Many commanders don't use reading galnets, codex, or doing anything else during long journeys.
  • That this change, in fact, would not change so significantly a game that has very other components that make it a wonderful game. The answers seem to indicate more of a sense of pride in piloting the ship manually and not a real problem that would ruin the game.
  • I also like the compromises that this game imposes, but this does not mean that some mechanics cannot be improved and honestly over the years I have seen many changes, this seems just the least problematic for me.
  • Due to the “problem” of optional spaces on the ship I did not see all these problems with the introduction of multi-limpet controllers for example. But I'm sure none of you, on principle, installed them, otherwise it ruins the game
  • SDC, ADC and SCA functions are software, it does not make the slightest sense to occupy physical space on the ship. Especially since those functions are already present in the ship.

I could make another proposal at this point on how to optimize this aspect of the on-board computer: A brand new computer assistant and introduction of the software engineers.

This new category of engineers could add, or unlock, new software features to the onboard computer, not only for SDC, ADC and SCA, but also for any new features. And least, some materials that are currently unusable could be exploited. For example, you might think of new interaction functions between the suit and vehicles that are currently absent.

For example:
  • A new function could be introduced that allows the position/distance of biological elements to be marked in the ship and SSRV radar once scanned. Currently it can only be consulted from the suit compass, forcing the player to exit the vehicle whenever he wants to check the distance from the previous scan.
  • An advanced outpost map capture system could be introduced by connecting to the terminal, so you don't always run randomly with a radar that currently can't even show if an element is above or below your location. Maybe it could also show other elements besides the terminal, ammunition and charging panel. It could also show medikits, nearby materials and more...

Could be a good suggestion?
As loathe as I am to contemplate the idea of more Engineers...this would be a pretty cool idea.

Just, you know, maybe in tandem with overhaul of the current grindy & extremely power-creeped Engineers system. 😅

Last year a bought an Audi. One of the options they offered was dynamic turn signals where the leds walk into the direction your signalling.
I didn't get it.
But when I lock the car, all four blinkers walk out. So the option is there, you just can't use it.
Same with auto docking: it's there by default, but you have to pay extra to be able to use it.

Last year a bought an Audi. One of the options they offered was dynamic turn signals where the leds walk into the direction your signalling.
I didn't get it.
But when I lock the car, all four blinkers walk out. So the option is there, you just can't use it.
Same with auto docking: it's there by default, but you have to pay extra to be able to use it.
This is how consumer protection laws are born. :p

Lord help us if Apple, or Audi evidently, gain monopolistic control of future spacefaring vehicle software availability to fully licensed commanders that pilot said vehicles with fully autonomous and independent freedoms, including waging war, in a political environment full of turmoil, litigation, suspicion, and existential crises.

This is how consumer protection laws are born. :p

Lord help us if Apple, or Audi evidently, gain monopolistic control of future spacefaring vehicle software availability to fully licensed commanders that pilot said vehicles with fully autonomous and independent freedoms, including waging war, in a political environment full of turmoil, litigation, suspicion, and existential crises.

One of the things that people don't know, or forget about the ED universe is that advanced AI is strictly banned, we have second rate auto-docking because first rate auto-docking AI is much more likely to kill you on purpose than by accident.

In fact that's probably exactly what happened and why sentient level AI is now banned, waging war turned out to be doing what the AI thought best for themselves and that didn't always match what is best for humans, simple stuff is allowed, hence the occasional bump from the auto-dock computer.

One of the things that people don't know, or forget about the ED universe is that advanced AI is strictly banned, we have second rate auto-docking because first rate auto-docking AI is much more likely to kill you on purpose than by accident.

In fact that's probably exactly what happened and why sentient level AI is now banned, waging war turned out to be doing what the AI thought best for themselves and that didn't always match what is best for humans, simple stuff is allowed, hence the occasional bump from the auto-dock computer.
I think that's called a micro-rebellion. 😄

I didn't get it.
It doesn't seem exactly the same to me.

I think the most similar example to the Elite situation could be:
I buy a modern car that has the automatic parking function but only works if I am out of the car. If I want to take advantage of this option while I am inside I have to install a module that takes up half space in the trunk to unlock the function.

It doesn't seem exactly the same to me.

I think the most similar example to the Elite situation could be:
I buy a modern car that has the automatic parking function but only works if I am out of the car. If I want to take advantage of this option while I am inside I have to install a module that takes up half space in the trunk to unlock the function.

Dont compare games to real life situations, games are meant to be fun and engaging, safety features in cars are meant to keep you alive and safe, once you start comparing it to real life it soon gets to a point where it's entirely silly. The planetary departure mechanic in ED is entirely meant to stop your ship being targeted while you were away from the ship. If it was only present when you had the module installed then players who didn't install a docking module to save space for other modules, or because they preferred docking manually, would be at a big disadvantage to other players whenever they landed on a planet. It would basically force everyone to fit a docking module whether they wanted one or not, which is not what you want in a game.

Dont compare games to real life situations, games are meant to be fun and engaging, safety features in cars are meant to keep you alive and safe, once you start comparing it to real life it soon gets to a point where it's entirely silly. The planetary departure mechanic in ED is entirely meant to stop your ship being targeted while you were away from the ship. If it was only present when you had the module installed then players who didn't install a docking module to save space for other modules, or because they preferred docking manually, would be at a big disadvantage to other players whenever they landed on a planet. It would basically force everyone to fit a docking module whether they wanted one or not, which is not what you want in a game.
1) My answer was in reference to the comparison with the Audi who bought the guy above
2) If the modules were integrated no one forces you to keep the option active. Even now, by mounting these modules, you can choose to turn off/on the auto dock or supercruise assist function from the right panel. As can be done with the orbital lines of planets, for example. I just can't understand the problem.
3) ED is a game that also tends to be simulative, it is based in a real galaxy with many real elements and others, of course, invented. Moreover, as already mentioned above, already over the years many functions of the ship or mechanics of the game have been changed, I do not see anything so apocalyptic in all this.
4) Justifying the presence of the automatic functions of the ship only for those who land and do not want to risk the ship does not seem equally right to me then. If you want to make sure no one destroys your ship when you leave then you organize yourself first and install the module, otherwise you risk it. The main component of ED is risk, on the other hand.
5) The AI issue you mentioned works up to a point, maybe at the level of lore, but if it were as you say then the discussion wouldn't even be there because such modules wouldn't really exist in the game
6) It is undeniable that Elite would have all the potential to be the perfect game as an idea, but at the same time, in addition to all the obvious optimization problems that exist since the release of the game, it is evident that it has many problems of poorly thought mechanics that users propose suggestions or put the patches to fix. Remember Inara or EDSM? When did Frontier not even allow data synchronization? Even today, for Frontier, a player should turn totally randomly to find modules, ships, weapons, suits or whatever ... Maybe there are those who play Elite every day 10 hours a day and it is also good for them like this, but there are also those who play Elite a few hours a month and the game makes you throw them away without having done anything. What I propose now seems to me a banality that does not change anything to the game, that takes nothing away from anyone, but vice versa, in my opinion, it meets everyone equally.

1) My answer was in reference to the comparison with the Audi who bought the guy above

Yeah understood, I really hate when people start comparing things to real life stuff like cars, sorry that's me, but it never ends well when we start doing that, it wasn't aimed specifically at any poster, should have made that clear.

Top Bottom