Concerns and inprovements about AX pre build ship

Yesterday fdev revealed 2 of the pre built ships. A mining ship, and an ax ship. I'm not here to address the mining ship, but rather the AX one as it has many flaws that make it not good at all. I want to express my concerns as it is a complete waste of money, and I don't like the idea of players buying a ship thinking its good because it was made by fdev, and then being disappointed that it doesn't work well/at all and potentially even feeling scammed. And i myself being an AXI Mentor and professional AX player feel qualified to say my thoughts on it.

The build itself includes

Hardpoints:
2x 3C Gimballed Enhanced AX Multi-Cannon
Guardian Nanite Torpedo Pylon
1E Gimballed Beam Laser
2x Small Guardian Gauss Cannon with Anti-Guardian Resistance

This is clearly intended for anti titan gameplay, but it isn't very good for it. The 2 enhanced ax multis do little damage, exerting even a cyclops' 1st heart in 12 seconds, which is equal to around a medusa's first heart using 2m2s gauss loadout. And exerting a Basilisk in 116 seconds. Against scouts, damage will still be poor and won't be very good for the amount of scouts you find.

The nanite Torpedo is fine, makes sense. Just depends on where its placed

The beam laser is also alright if its gimballed and long range Thermal vent.

The gauss is.. it's good, but isn't paired well with the multis and makes it almost impossible to use together. Along with the 20% Damage loss making your total damage output minimal at best.

Utility mounts are all fine

Military:
4D Module Reinforcement Package
2x 4D Hull Reinforcement Package

A module reinforcement should never be in a military slot due to the fact they take damage last out of all MRPs. If you have a c5 in an optional slot and a c1 in a mil slot, the c1 takes damage priority and you have less module reinforcement overall until it is broken.

The hull is fine here.

Everything from core internals are fine too.

Optional Internal:
6C Bi-Weave Shield Generator
5D Hull Reinforcement Package
4E Cargo Rack (16 capacity)
2A Auto Field-Maintenance Unit
1A Repair Limpet Controller
1E Research Limpet Controller

The shield is absolutely unnecessary and is only a detriment overall. Especially on a medium. The reasons for this are (copied from the AXI Discord);
We recognize that a large portion of commanders starting their AX careers will feel more familiar with shielded builds than with hull-based repair builds. However, the nature of Thargoids makes shields more of a liability than an asset in AX combat. In particular:

A) Both Interceptor Cannon and Thargon Swarm fire phase through shields; as a consequence, having a shield does not substitute for reinforcing your hull, and having to split modules and utilities to reinforce BOTH hull and shields greatly diminishes the benefits of doing either.

B) Shields greatly increase your hitbox size. While thargon swarms will mostly miss a shieldless build, most of their shots will hit a shielded one. It is not uncommon to take more hull damage in a shielded ship than in a comparable shieldless one.

C) The lightning special attack of interceptors will make short work of just about any shield, while doing only limited damage on your hull.

D) Quickly refilling your shields in combat requires Shield Cell Banks, which generate a lot of heat and cannot be rearmed in combat (SCB ammo cannot be synthed). Repair limpets, on the other hand, generate no heat and can be synthesized at will (but are slower to repair and their use can be interrupted by taking damage). Limpets also instantly repair your canopy.

E) Shields prevent you from using what is arguably the most effective emergency tactic in AX combat: silent running (as silent running instantly drops your shield when activated.)

F) Shields require SYS pips for resistances and charge; this makes them compete with heatsinks (also need SYS) and with ENG (critical for mobility.) Needing SYS creates great compromises on an AX build

Overall, shields are not worth it in 99% of circumstances. And this ship does not fill that 1%. The shield here should be a max sized repair limpet controller due to the fact that a class 1 repair limpet will repair little to no hull on this ship. It should also be D Rated for weight, as an A Rated does not repair more than a D Rated.

The hull here is misplaced. It should be a module reinforcement.

The cargo rack is completely fine.

The afmu is similarly fine.

The repair limpet should be a module reinforcement. Reasons are stated earlier.

The research limpet is completely irrelevant. It does nothing for combat and has no purpose being on an AX ship.

With the flaws explained, you may be wanting to know what to do instead. That is what I have created multiple build variations using the external tool called EDSY (Elite Dangerous Ship Yard) for easy viewing of the builds and so there is a variety to choose from depending on what is actually wanted.

Krait MK2 with Medium level engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vHlYHd4

Krait MK2 with Minimal engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vqNaP4k

Krait MK2 with No engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vw3xjLd

I have chosen the krait as it provides the best balance between optional slots, hardpoints, and everything you could need.

However, if a chieftain must be picked then I have builds for that too. As much as I protest it.

Chieftain with Medium level engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vAzYUbk
Chieftain with Minimal engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vebB5mu

Chieftain with No engineering - https://edsy.org/s/vkg6gSv (Note: I kept an LRTV beam as literally nothing else works there. Absolutely nothing.)

These builds are highly optimal, with various choices made to get the best out of not only the ship, but the money spent for it as well. For each of these ships I would value them at 16000 ARX at least in my opinion. (For reference, I value the original one at maybe 400-800).

If you have questions about the builds then please do ask. I'm completely willing to help to ensure people get the most out of their money and enjoy their time engaging in activities.

These pre builds are clearly for beginners

Your whole explanation will make a novice ED players head explode.
They are for beginners, yet they are so bad that it takes an experienced player to get any real use out of them.

A novice player doesnt need to know the complete explanation, they will only have the build and that's it. If they want a proper explanation it's right there and isn't too hard to understand. I can even dumb it down or explain each section in detail if needed

I'm not exaggerating when I say that a Meta Chief but e rated is near the same effectiveness as the pre build

I'm not here to address the mining ship
For what it's worth, while the mining ship certainly has room for improvement compared with an optimal T6 (bigger collectors, most obviously), it's perfectly fine for its intended role of a "My First Miner" that you can pick up and take to your nearest ring to hoover up some minerals with, and I've mined adequately in worse builds myself. It's not as if the rocks are particularly dangerous, or it taking two hours rather than one to fill the hold the first time is going to be a big deal.

And maybe that's the problem: "My First Titan-killer" just isn't a coherent concept. I've been out in Colonia for years, never seen any Thargoid bigger than a Sensor, always at best mediocre at combat ... even if I fly one of your optimised builds I'd be expecting to mostly get blown up ineffectually several times before managing to land even minor damage to the core. A genuine beginner who couldn't just build their own AX ship to a suggested build is going to be quite some way behind that.

This pre build is capable of damaging the titan...

Your expectations are too high (way too high). Take of the experienced glasses and imagine if the package is enough to perform the task what it is being sold for.
It is equipped with all the right utilities and has the weapons. I would change the build for sure. But that using glasses with 1000s of hours of experience.

Most of us did not learn to drive in a Ferrari

Should this be sold for ARX? Is that the real question you are trying to answer?

That pre-built Chieftain will certainly make the newbies bying them explode.
I do that too usually.. Cant be bothered to gracefully exit the titan..

What is wrong with them exploding if they do not get out on time? Likely they progress more than they would without this pre build. Certainly for the time that they have to invest to get a 'decent' build. Sure it can use a tweak here and there.. But that is not the point

For what it's worth, while the mining ship certainly has room for improvement compared with an optimal T6 (bigger collectors, most obviously), it's perfectly fine for its intended role of a "My First Miner" that you can pick up and take to your nearest ring to hoover up some minerals with, and I've mined adequately in worse builds myself. It's not as if the rocks are particularly dangerous, or it taking two hours rather than one to fill the hold the first time is going to be a big deal.

And maybe that's the problem: "My First Titan-killer" just isn't a coherent concept. I've been out in Colonia for years, never seen any Thargoid bigger than a Sensor, always at best mediocre at combat ... even if I fly one of your optimised builds I'd be expecting to mostly get blown up ineffectually several times before managing to land even minor damage to the core. A genuine beginner who couldn't just build their own AX ship to a suggested build is going to be quite some way behind that.
Exactly, my first miner was a complete shambles until i learned how to fit it out properly, the new player templates will hopefully give folks at least a working idea.

O7

I think it's worth remembering that the developers don't play this game as much as the players. The meta around AX combat represents a lot of hard-learned wisdom, gained by players over a long period of time. The AX build initially proposed by Frontier represents their high-level understanding of AX combat in the game. It is probably based largely on their original intent. But if Frontier is going to sell an AX combat ship for real money, I think it needs to function properly in that role. Frontier would be wise to accept @Lion12's advice.

This pre build is capable of damaging the titan...

Your expectations are too high (way too high). Take of the experienced glasses and imagine if the package is enough to perform the task what it is being sold for.
It is equipped with all the right utilities and has the weapons. I would change the build for sure. But that using glasses with 1000s of hours of experience.

Most of us did not learn to drive in a Ferrari

Should this be sold for ARX? Is that the real question you are trying to answer?
And an E rated unengineered chief can and has killed a hydra. Does that mean it's good or worth using at all? No. Same here. It can damage a Titan but it's so bad that it won't do anything significant or at all, especially if it's a new ax pilot who hasn't even seen a Titan before. And you have the entire arsenal of Thargoids assaulting you at the same time. It's nowhere near a beginner build. I can say this for a fact as I know these things due to being in the ax sphere for over a year and a half and seeing this stuff

I think it's mostly fine. For weapons AXMCs are easy to use and I always recommend them for the newbies. Gauss is pretty much the only effective AX weapon for small hardpoint, so that is fine too. The only time I would use something else in the smalls is to complement the modplasma or shard battery in larger slots.

Shield is generally fine too as long as it's a small "speed bumb" Bi-Weave. I usually recommend the newbies to start with those because there's less things to keep track of than when you are shieldless. Not as much module repair. I usually also recommend that they use a Krait for it, because its larger distro can handle it better. The weapons on this one are not that distro hungry, so it may be fine. They should have the lo-draw mod, though. Repair limpet controller in this build is weird. Only large ships can afford both shields and repair limpets. For smaller ship it's either shields or largest possible D repair controller.

It seems to me that it's supposed to be a frame for general Thargoid activities. Just swap out some parts for specific jobs. Take out the torpedo and put in flak for AX combat, take out the research limpet controller if you are not after samples, like in most cases and so on.

I think it's mostly fine. For weapons AXMCs are easy to use and I always recommend them for the newbies. Gauss is pretty much the only effective AX weapon for small hardpoint, so that is fine too. The only time I would use something else in the smalls is to complement the modplasma or shard battery in larger slots.

Shield is generally fine too as long as it's a small "speed bumb" Bi-Weave. I usually recommend the newbies to start with those because there's less things to keep track of than when you are shieldless. Not as much module repair. I usually also recommend that they use a Krait for it, because its larger distro can handle it better. The weapons on this one are not that distro hungry, so it may be fine. They should have the lo-draw mod, though. Repair limpet controller in this build is weird. Only large ships can afford both shields and repair limpets. For smaller ship it's either shields or largest possible D repair controller.

It seems to me that it's supposed to be a frame for general Thargoid activities. Just swap out some parts for specific jobs. Take out the torpedo and put in flak for AX combat, take out the research limpet controller if you are not after samples, like in most cases and so on.
I can tell you didn't actually read the post properly as I debunk everything you say about shields. They aren't good. They're a detriment. Reread my post if you want explanations why. The distro does not need lo draw at all, armoured and overcharged give plenty of power even at a low level.

Medium ships should never have shields, so the repair vs shields argument is nullified and not good at all.

Bi weaves don't give good protection and suffer all the debuffs mentioned in the post too.

The 2 eaxmc are not gonna do much at all, which I also explain in the post

I can tell you didn't actually read the post properly as I debunk everything you say about shields. They aren't good. They're a detriment. Reread my post if you want explanations why. The distro does not need lo draw at all, armoured and overcharged give plenty of power even at a low level.

Medium ships should never have shields, so the repair vs shields argument is nullified and not good at all.

Bi weaves don't give good protection and suffer all the debuffs mentioned in the post too.

The 2 eaxmc are not gonna do much at all, which I also explain in the post
I read it and I have seen those arguments before. Shieldless is better in general, and I mostly go without shield myself, but shields are just easier for new players. They protect you from module damage and player new to AX are usually so overwhelmed that even if they know to look for module damage and use the AFMU, they may forget. Same with repair limpets. They will have to control the pips more, but that shouldn't be a new task for them. Repairing hull and modules in the middle of the fight probably is.

It seems that you didn't consider my arguments properly, so I have to break it down. Let's look at those AXI points.

A) Yes, some of the damage phases through the shields, but only part and it doesn't damage the modules like direct hits do. Also "speed bump" bi-weaves is just the shield generator, no boosters or reinforcements. Might actually end up having more hull reinforcements than a shieldless build because it doesn't need repair + cargo and can get away with less module reinfocement.

B) This is a valid point, but a new player is going to get hit anyway.

C) Also a valid point, but small bi-weaves come back fast.

D) No SCBs used. Hmm, haven't noticed that repair limpets fix canopy. I'm always repairing it individually. Will have to check that next time.

E) Small bi-weaves can be sacrificed for silent running relatively easily, but I concede there is still some reluctance to give them up.

F) Yes, this is the biggest problem and why I advocate for lo-draw when your distro is not bigger than your bi-weave gen. Also why I myself generally go without shields myself. I love to use modplasmas and WEP and ENG take all the pips I can spare.

Even ignoring everything else terrible about the build, the fact that it runs too hot is already a massive issue. New players are absolutely going to get caught in the open and be sent back to the station in short notice.
This exactly. I just runs too hot and that will get you shredded, end of story.

CMDR Mechan has posted a short YouTube video proposing improvements which I recommend

Source: https://youtu.be/tG9Vrh8S7kA?si=avzYsoYRoS8a7vVS

I think it's worth remembering that the developers don't play this game as much as the players. The meta around AX combat represents a lot of hard-learned wisdom, gained by players over a long period of time. The AX build initially proposed by Frontier represents their high-level understanding of AX combat in the game. It is probably based largely on their original intent. But if Frontier is going to sell an AX combat ship for real money, I think it needs to function properly in that role. Frontier would be wise to accept @Lion12's advice.
Good point and of course it is not just that the players have been refining the good build(s) over a long period there have also been many more of them doing it than have ever worked at FDev.
Of course that player experience has been focused on building as good a ship as possible where as this one should be good enough to get someone started.

Those builds are not for solo hunting interceptors.
They are for noobs joining vets to deal some damage to titans and/or to scouts

And they're perfectly fine for that
theyre bad for solo hunting yes, but theyre also bad for titan space for reasons that have been stated already so many times

theyre bad for solo hunting yes, but theyre also bad for titan space for reasons that have been stated already so many times

They're better than the starter Sidewinder

To whom do you think those builds are aimed to? To me that i can buy my own Chief and engineer it to the teeth, or to the newb that just managed to get enough credits to step off the Sidewinder and get into an Adder?

And if the newb gets killed in that Chief, what do they lose? 0-rebuy, remember?

Top Bottom