Connection Issues

This actually started yesterday, and has returned today. If you look at a cyberattack website, you will see that internally, within the UK, there are several bot and worm attacks happening in the tens of thousands.

I Guess if you're in the UK, you can access frontier's stuff ok, but outside of the UK, everyone else can't or it's extremely slow with frequent time outs. This probably also explains why the stupid Server Status says OK, but its not OK with the rest of the world.

I was having an issue around 6am est where trying to bring up the galmap caused my game to freeze persistently. I tries relogging, i tried closing the app and restarting, but all i could do was access the pause menu to exit to menu. This was shortly after a crash with a 'Scarlett Krait' error. Idk if it was related. It worked fine around 3 pm when i tried again and its working fine now. But i was worried i wouldnt be able to plot a course home to the bubble.

This actually started yesterday, and has returned today. If you look at a cyberattack website, you will see that internally, within the UK, there are several bot and worm attacks happening in the tens of thousands.

I Guess if you're in the UK, you can access frontier's stuff ok, but outside of the UK, everyone else can't or it's extremely slow with frequent time outs. This probably also explains why the stupid Server Status says OK, but its not OK with the rest of the world.
EU locations work...and will get better as more people go to bed to sleep at this time...

Is that there way of saying it will reconnect you to a less over loaded trace route to account for capacity issues due to down fibre links...

No idea. All I know was that there was no IPV6 address at all (as though the server was blocking me) and a gateway reboot seemed to help for the 20 or so minutes i tested right after. I'll check again when I get home.

Im throwing my hat back in. Having issues again. Fairly suspicious that ONLY the ED connection is bad (all other net traffic is stellar). And, as one cmdr pointed out, right after they removed the carrier beta stuff.

Hello there,

Thank you for the report!

The team have looked into this particular issue and it appears to be linked with certain internet service providers, rather than the Elite Dangerous servers directly.

If you are experiencing connection issues at this time, we recommend reaching out to your ISP.

Thank you for your understanding.
Could you perhaps elaborate on how you reached that conclusion? I saw the same posted in the subreddit and the same questions stand. You had to have identified something if your certain its not you, right? Or is that simply a "everything looks good?" statement.

It would help us if you told us what you "it appears to be" was that you reference.

I know Frontier cannot solve ISP or general internet problems, whether it is Comcast/Xfinity or the Level 3/Centurylink transatlantic connection Comcast seems to use to get traffic to AWS eu-west-1 in Ireland, but if Frontier is able to put ED servers in one of the AWS locations in the Americas (assuming they aren't limited by code) then this whole issue goes away.

I know Frontier cannot solve ISP or general internet problems, whether it is Comcast/Xfinity or the Level 3/Centurylink transatlantic connection Comcast seems to use to get traffic to AWS eu-west-1 in Ireland, but if Frontier is able to put ED servers in one of the AWS locations in the Americas (assuming they aren't limited by code) then this whole issue goes away.
Why do you think they don't already? I'm thought the old Dav talk about scaling out the servers mentioned global distribution of the farm.

Why do you think they don't already? I'm thought the old Dav talk about scaling out the servers mentioned global distribution of the farm.
That's very interesting. I think they're not because my ED client is connecting to DNS names for AWS Ireland (that's not an ISP issue, that's the game asking for those names). The IPs and traceroutes confirm the traffic headed there as well. If ED servers reside in North America, then we apparently have to bounce off Ireland services and all the way back to North America, which would be even worse, lol. I suppose it's possible that some sort of DNS-centric global load balancing in AWS or in the ED AWS config are malfunctioning - that could be happening so fast I'm missing it... but I would expect other North America ISPs to be affected by that as well.

That's very interesting. I think they're not because my ED client is connecting to DNS names for AWS Ireland (that's not an ISP issue, that's the game asking for those names). The IPs and traceroutes confirm the traffic headed there as well. If ED servers reside in North America, then we apparently have to bounce off Ireland services and all the way back to North America, which would be even worse, lol. I suppose it's possible that some sort of DNS-centric global load balancing in AWS or in the ED AWS config are malfunctioning - that could be happening so fast I'm missing it... but I would expect other North America ISPs to be affected by that as well.
Wait just need to ask this..
Are you using an ISP supplied DNS still or have you replaced them on the PS4 ?... it standard practice in PS4 set up instructions for manual set up to not Use ISP DNS as there slow to update an point to slower download servers..
You do this while you force a static IP address a long with the DNS change so that the remote access apps work correctly you do all this on the network config screen...

Is every one else using ISP supplied DNS services.. Connection issues in the UK and EU is why we don't use ISP provided DNS..

Last edited:
Wait just need to ask this..
Are you using an ISP supplied DNS still or have you replaced them on the PS4 ?... it standard practice in PS4 set up instructions for manual set up to not Use ISP DNS as there slow to update an point to slower download servers..
You do this while you force a static IP address a long with the DNS change so that the remote access apps work correctly you do all this on the network config screen...

Is every one else using ISP supplied DNS services.. Connection issues in the UK and EU is why we don't use ISP provided DNS..
I might not be the best example as I'm not on PS4 ... I'm in this thread because it seems to be the most comprehensive and is the most referenced in Reddit and other places with reports of this issue - it affects PS4 and PC equally. But I use Google DNS for everything in my house - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I might not be the best example as I'm not on PS4 ... I'm in this thread because it seems to be the most comprehensive and is the most referenced in Reddit and other places with reports of this issue - it affects PS4 and PC equally. But I use Google DNS for everything in my house - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
Ok good that is correct and bad as If it was ISP DNS then it would be an easy fix... as they go out of date all the time...

On PC with Comcast 1 GIG download 40MB upload. 1500 hours on ED. Last 2 days I have the same issue. slow to start game or connection timeout. Have had the 'Scarlett Krait' error 6 times. When I ping the ED servers I get a return in the 20MS range. My location USA, Indiana

No issues with any other game. PUBG which would be a lot more sensitive about connections has no issue. I won the first round I played last night. I also tested Alien Isolation, Doom Eternal and project cars 2.

I did notice it was even slow getting to the ed store to look at paint for ships. This was just sometimes when ED was running.

Same Problems here out of Germany.
Several problems to connect ingame to adjunction server with error taupe cobra or gold cobra when trying to jump out from HC or SC. And problems to actualize the black board after being inactive for about 7-8 minutes. No matter whether playing in open, private group or solo.

Top Bottom