Console/account transfer question

I'm a PS4 player planning on transferring to PC. This post is mainly to just double check things so any information relating is helpful.
So I'm planning using the upcoming console transfer to play Elite on PC, I already own Elite on Steam and seeing as Odyssey is on sale I was thinking of buying it, now I'm wondering which platform does the transfer put your account on to. Can anyone with experience on the old account transfer system confirm how it worked in regards to what PC platform (Steam, Epic or whatever Frontier has) the account goes to or what happens in general. Is it safe to buy Odyssey on Steam or should I wait until after the transfer. A few extra bits of information to clear things up below:
  • I don't care what happens to the save as all the assets have been transferred to PS4 with fleet carrier trading.
  • My Frontier account is linked to my Steam account.
  • I'd like to have the account on Steam but if its not possible that's fine.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I'm a PS4 player planning on transferring to PC. This post is mainly to just double check things so any information relating is helpful.
So I'm planning using the upcoming console transfer to play Elite on PC, I already own Elite on Steam and seeing as Odyssey is on sale I was thinking of buying it, now I'm wondering which platform does the transfer put your account on to. Can anyone with experience on the old account transfer system confirm how it worked in regards to what PC platform (Steam, Epic or whatever Frontier has) the account goes to or what happens in general. A few extra bits of information to clear things up below:
  • I don't care what happens to the save as all the assets have been transferred to PS4 with fleet carrier trading.
  • My Frontier account is linked to my Steam account.
  • I'd like to have the account on Steam but if its not possible that's fine.
Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't buy a new account. Fdev said you'll get a free Horizons account with the transfer, which I think you'll need to then purchase Odyssey for.

Nobody knows if a transfer into an existing account will be even possible at this stage.

I know it sucks and it's more of the good old "just wait a while longer", but sadly currently it's all we know.

Wait and see...
This is a new thing and details are not yet known and what is known is in the specific thread

My take is we will get a new frontier account with horizons enabled for free.
No idea if they would want to transfer in an existing account already tied with Steam or Epic, but if they will do it, that pre-existing account will be wiped out since there will be no merging (and you also lose the free Horizons if you already purchased Elite)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Really? Where did they say that? ...
Here:

Secondly, if you've purchased Elite Dangerous on consoles, we'll be giving you a free copy of Elite Dangerous on PC. This will all be done in a limited-time window and the exact details are still being confirmed, but we'll be giving you plenty of heads up so you can prepare if needed.

Elite Dangerous does not exist in a no-Horizons version anymore.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Holy cow - hidden in a Discovery Scanner. Knew I'd seen it written somewhere more sensible than I found!
Yeah, there were 2 forums threads about it :)

I've had them specifically bookmarked, as I was going to do one of my "Laser-Shot" news vids about it, but then work and overtime kicked in :p

I was wondering something similar, as play on PS and that account is linked to frontier. I guess I will need to make a new account (with a different email) in order to use the free one FDev give us but not entirely sure as I don't have a PC commander...until the transfer goes through. (such a noob, I know)

Yeah, I think a new email address and commander name is the way to go as you may want to use third party tools (INARA etc) and therefore need to differentiate the accounts.
Trying to think of a new commander name, I intend to resatart too. Best part of the game in the lovely old sidewinder!

Top Bottom