"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

as stated in title, its actually great news and the 1st console bit of info we've had in a long time!

Oh you just had to kick that bees nest, didn't you? :p

I did...because I know how things impacted folks when the xbox one x 4k update hit.
I think there are still concerns there...and now that some have moved over to the series x/s...

It needs to be more than a sentence.
There should be an entire pinned thread for each platform IMO on this as its kinda a big deal along with Odyssey.

I did...because I know how things impacted folks when the xbox one x 4k update hit.
I think there are still concerns there...and now that some have moved over to the series x/s...

It needs to be more than a sentence.
There should be an entire pinned thread for each platform IMO on this as its kinda a big deal along with Odyssey.

Erm, I was very happy with the Xbox One X update. In 4K Quality mode it had a better frame rate compared to the original XB1, while pumping out 4x the pixels with extra detail on top.

I do wonder IF this will be a PS5 and Xbox Series X/S only release.

I'm saying this only due to how the Alpha ran on my PC...which is an i78700 with a 2070 video card and 32 gig of ram
I don't know if the older consoles will have the frame rate to run this or the graphic would be VERY low and not look so well
I don't think it will happen. As far as we know, Frontier doesn't even have plans to optimize the base game for Series X|S, let alone making the Odyssey expansion next-gen only. I do think it will come out on everything. How it will run on consoles is another matter. We may have to put it back to 1080p mode to get adequate performance. We just don't know yet. Also, this "autumn release" tells me it will happen Spring 2022. Just brace for it.

I think I'm right in saying that that MS and Sony require that new games still have to be playable on the previous generation.
No they don't. There are already many games that are released only on the new consoles, some even by third-parties (Judgment is the latest example). Developers are not obligated to support the old consoles, it's just that game development tools are usually scalable enough so that it's not a problem for most projects. And given the tiny installed base of the Series X|S, it doesn't really make sense to support only that hardware.

I don't think it will happen. As far as we know, Frontier doesn't even have plans to optimize the base game for Series X|S, let alone making the Odyssey expansion next-gen only. I do think it will come out on everything. How it will run on consoles is another matter. We may have to put it back to 1080p mode to get adequate performance. We just don't know yet. Also, this "autumn release" tells me it will happen Spring 2022. Just brace for it.
If its not updated for the xbox series x I pretty sure I wont buy it.
Ill just casually play it on PC only since I pre-ordered it for Alpha experiences.

I would NOT be happy if this is simply no changes for xbox…there is A LOT added graphically that I loved on PC with a few minor annoyances.

Probably a bit behind the times here but took a while to find this. Update on consoles is welcome and appreciated but as 99.9% of info presently is about Alpha which will then transition into information about release and then following that will be all about Odyssey (On Pc) once released. If the regular live streams follow this route it will leave a large amount of the community (console players) isolated. Would a road-map of sort's be possible so people could track progress roughly, as far as I'm aware there has only been a few updates on live stream's or forums (Since delay announced), of which these have been along similar lines "there is nothing to update you on "I will find that out" and what is mentioned at the start of this post. I am known as a patient person but the continuing lack of information or communication is becoming very frustrating. Well that's got it out of my system for a couple of week's let's see if anything changes by then :censored:

If its not updated for the xbox series x I pretty sure I wont buy it.
Ill just casually play it on PC only since I pre-ordered it for Alpha experiences.

I would NOT be happy if this is simply no changes for xbox…there is A LOT added graphically that I loved on PC with a few minor annoyances.
The way I see it is that Elite is already 4K and 60 fps on Series X, and it runs incomparably better than it ever did on the previous generation of consoles. It might lack some of the graphical details that are possible on a strong PC, but I don't mind until it runs smoothly. Knowing Frontier and their record of console development, maybe it's better if they leave it this way. A Series X|S "optimization" might just introduce lower performance or new bugs into the game. I'm not convinced it would magically make everything look better while also retaining the smooth framerate. Content is more important so I'll definitely buy Odyssey for the content, hoping it will not break the game's performance.

The way I see it is that Elite is already 4K and 60 fps on Series X, and it runs incomparably better than it ever did on the previous generation of consoles. It might lack some of the graphical details that are possible on a strong PC, but I don't mind until it runs smoothly. Knowing Frontier and their record of console development, maybe it's better if they leave it this way. A Series X|S "optimization" might just introduce lower performance or new bugs into the game. I'm not convinced it would magically make everything look better while also retaining the smooth framerate. Content is more important so I'll definitely buy Odyssey for the content, hoping it will not break the game's performance.
its a good point at this stage, Xbox has it far better than PS right now and yea, I noticed a visual difference with the series x version so would we rather them just release it on last gen and let the series s/x do its thing?

Fdev are still saying that Odyssey will run on low end PC's so i would have thought a last gen version should be possible, i guess for me it depends on how that new planetary tech works out as that is the start of the Odyssey show

and maybe the planetary tech update will solve the aweful planet gfx we get right now @TheSisko ?

Well we could always 'protest' by not buying the pre-order on the first day available, just waiting 4 days and then pre-ordering will significantly screw up the usual expectations of expected % sold on first day and first 3 days (usually 90% of new release game sales) and show that we are / were not happy with the current level of information and feedback so bad that even Mushrooms would die. apart from that nothing will make any impact as they know we will buy it anyway.

We dont even know if we get the same pre-order bonus as PC got do we? They couldnt even answer that when asked on a LS recently so we are hardly in the front of their minds or even on the agenda atm. I just hope Autumn is still realistic and if not they let us know sooner rather than later.

They have always said it will be backwards compatible though so presumably just lower graphics / FPS to make it work same as now, I have no problem with that until I get the next gen, if they suddenly exclude previous gen they will lose more revenue than they gain in the short term. I still have faith they will make it work somehow but there will be compromises, but thats the rule of Consoles, there will always be compromises somewhere.

And if necessary as an XB user I have no problem waiting until PS version is ready and release together, Id hate if they split it up, consoles should stick together...and hopefully get cross play together at some point as PS bunch seem a chilled out crowd on here at least.

According to Frontier they have no plans to make native current-gen port of Odyssey or base Elite.

That might be ok for you enjoying 4K/60 in backwards compatibility mode. Here in PS land we're stuck at 1080p. And both platforms have low res textures compared to PC.

Frontier need to implement Cross Play and native current-gen console support as a matter of priority if they want to maximise Odyssey sales on Console.

I still believe there will be plans for series s/x and ps5 in time for an autumn release (which I see as December)
leading up to that point the whole chip shortage should be resolved meaning plenty of stock and a great chrimbo for all looking to upgrade

my (very) simplistic view is the game has got to be scalable for all the different PC variants, therefore it will only need a bit of tinkering to get it optimised for current gen and by December there will be too many current consoles out there for them to ignore

I'm sure you've all seen the announcement on Horizon/Odyssey compatibility, this post inn particular:

gotta be great news for consoles right? with PC now linked to the console launch it ad's an extra element of urgency to getting it released

Top Bottom