"Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule"

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Actually the title of this thread comes from a post dated 22nd April, 2021
Sometimes I think you just enjoy arguing. As you well know the content of that post dated literally next to nothing.

In its entirety for us to behold...

'Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.'

Stunning. Plus it's now July.

Sometimes I think you just enjoy arguing. As you well know the content of that post dated literally next to nothing.

In its entirety for us to behold...

'Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.'

Stunning. Plus it's now July.

No, not really.
But some others do really like to make gratuitous remarks... like the one with 11 months since last update

They are telling us they are working on it.
They dont have to come and tell us every morning, like we're insecure teens that: this is happening guys, this is totally happening, we are working on it, we really do, omg omg.

This is from the June 4th, The Roadmap

While we are expecting to see specific and targeted performance improvements in the upcoming June updates, we are also aware that development work for console will allow for even larger performance optimisations and enhancements for PC too. Therefore, we feel the best approach for all our Commanders will be to focus our development efforts after Update 5 on performance and the console release, and to bring our multi-platform community together once more, which will also allow us to bring even more global optimisation changes and updates to all Elite Dangerous Commande

Plans do change.
It's quite unfortunate, the silver lining is i dont really need to change my XB now. It can still play ED and it can still play my Blu-Rays or stream content for me.

I saw this thread back in April and thought to myself...... "How could this OP not know what is coming."
come on now, one can have the opinion that Odyssey isn't coming to consoles and still hold out hope when CM's mentioned it

unless you had inside knowledge there is no way anyone would have known this back in April

come on now, one can have the opinion that Odyssey isn't coming to consoles and still hold out hope when CM's mentioned it

unless you had inside knowledge there is no way anyone would have known this back in April
Do you play elite on console? There is data..... lots of it. The past is the best way to predict the future. The number of bugs and performance issues we have had to live with on consoles, the differences between required PC specs and console specs, the current outrage by the PC community. This was a no brainer.
Last gen consoles will not be able to handle odyssey unless it is significantly dumbed down or optimized. It would be irresponsible to release odyssey on those consoles and would likely negatively impact PC players. This is all pretty obvious.......

Well I feel Fdevs made the right decision yesterday…
I had wished they made this decision during Alpha rather than releasing on PC…it would have really been a better decision.

Without any idea on what does/doesn’t happen or console…at least PC will get to a “better place” I just hope this team doesn’t follow some of the more recent developers like Anthem, Cyberpunk 2077, Outriders…just to name a few.

Just bought a series X so MR B you need to get consoles onboard 🤣
👍
Noticed the price gouging on Amazon is starting to level off, so there might be hope for the rest of us us yet :D.

Still, as much as I like playing EDO on PC (improved imho, GUIs) I played XBOX 1X yesterday without one bug interaction and it was fun again. Glad Frontier is not going to push a flawed expansion on console - at least there's a better chance now there will be a less buggy launch. Just need to get over seeing EDO settlements when playing Xbox; as a trader, hate seeing all the places I cannot go trade in the compare market tool. Still, lots of fun/Crs to be found. And yes, I pre-ordered PC and most likely will as soon as it's available for Xbox too.

I think I'm right in saying that that MS and Sony require that new games still have to be playable on the previous generation.
I don't think that Sony and Microsoft require new games to be play on the previous generation of PlayStation and Xbox. That will make no sense in developing of new games.
If you go to Xbox store, then you can see, at some games is only for the new Xbox series

I don't think that Sony and Microsoft require new games to be play on the previous generation of PlayStation and Xbox. That will make no sense in developing of new games.
If you go to Xbox store, then you can see, at some games is only for the new Xbox series
So it's all down to a bunch of factors.
Many third-party games designed for newer PC hardware and ported to console, the devs and publishers know full well that they can still turn a profit on the PC and console versions even if the console version requires too much hardware clout to port to decade old systems. They can save on the cost of developing a port which retains as many features as possible without compromising the game overly much (Or they can go the Cyberpunk route, and not bother with the expense of properly making a version scaled to the older consoles but release it anyway).
With first-party titles, MS (and increasingly Sony as the supply chain shortages stalling manufacture of the new consoles continue) recognise the importance of getting as many sales as possible on their existing install base, and ensuring more of these are cross-gen with save transfer via smart delivery also helps keep their players in the same console family when they are able to upgrade.

Nope
But ED is a PS4/XB1 title.
EDO is a DLC...

So they cannot really have a DLC that is curent gen only, without having the base game available for current gen too.

Also, last year, it was rumored that all new games have to have a native version too. So Planet Coaster Console Edition was launched for PS4/XB1 and PS5 XBS
Since ED is not a new game and EDO is a DLC, it can evade this restriction.

So they cannot really have a DLC that is curent gen only, without having the base game available for current gen too.
Since ED is not a new game and EDO is a DLC, it can evade this restriction.
this has been covered a few times, in a few places.

There isn't a 'DLC must work on PS4 constraint'

FF7 Yaffle DLC is PS5 only

Top Bottom