Console Update

If ever there is an example of everything running smoothly with it all going to plan without any need for changes, Odyssey is it's antithesis.
The only things that have ever gone smoothly and to plan without changes are the ones where the plan was never made public.

Even now I'd take anything more than a few months old as out of date and currently misleading.
This of course applies to all aspects of Elite, especially user guides and get rich even quicker schemes.

The only things that have ever gone smoothly and to plan without changes are the ones where the plan was never made public.

This of course applies to all aspects of Elite, especially user guides and get rich even quicker schemes.
Ya mean "Get rich before the nerf" schemes ;)

If ever there is an example of everything running smoothly with it all going to plan without any need for changes, Odyssey is it's antithesis.

Even now I'd take anything more than a few months old as out of date and currently misleading.
Personally I don't mind if plans change or are scaled back, which has been the case for a lot of Odyssey's details.

Lack of communication, however, is something I really dislike.

They announced all those things, started an era of good communication - monthly updates on new features being worked on, individually addressing the top issue tracker reports.

Then they went into radio silence. Only to re-surface many months later to cancel a lot of stuff. And not resuming either of those monthly updates.

Odd, but then, there are a few bugs in ED.
I've seen quite a lot of systems where discovery, mapped and 1st footfall have been 3 different names, but this is ED so what you say isn't in the least unbelieveable!
What's more, my friends and I were on an expedition to collect the wing and discover systems by mapping them. And then everyone would land on a planet that was close by and make the first move.

As soon as the console version of Odyssey is released, Horizons and Odyssey clients will be able to play together, it was in the same post you quoted, didn't you see it? 🤷‍♂️
Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 22.09.55.png

Some of these plans were not cancelled ;) And as far as they were announced to "After Console Launch" we can assume that this moment of time passed.

View attachment 323196
Some of these plans were not cancelled ;) And as far as they were announced to "After Console Launch" we can assume that this moment of time passed.
... and we can equally assume that other plans changed, couldn't we?

Pointless putting little red boxes on an out-of-date image, it was already negated by the important change, wasn't it? I know it is hard to accept that things change, but they do!

Not sure what you're trying to say 🤔 Horizons just got 4.0 so that red box is completed now, as planned.
I think what RC meant is that the image posted is before President Braben posted that they are cancelling console development, even though Horizons 4.0 is now out it will never be hitting consoles they are going to be stuck in 3.8 era. No matter how much we would like the 4.0 system on consoles its not going to happen now we have had that cancelation post, even if they did would you still buy it knowing they can cancel it at any time.

Personally I wouldnt buy it after that as you could be throwing good money after bad, ive been playing ED since 2014 and have played it on a Mac machine (was cancelled first) and XBox 1X (we all know what happened there) and a PC (since 2014) I currently am sticking with PC from here on in as even if they cancel that I can use one of the other games out there currently im also playing NMS on XB1 and PC which is "still running" just fine.

I think what RC meant is that the image posted is before President Braben posted that they are cancelling console development, even though Horizons 4.0 is now out it will never be hitting consoles they are going to be stuck in 3.8 era. No matter how much we would like the 4.0 system on consoles its not going to happen now we have had that cancelation post, even if they did would you still buy it knowing they can cancel it at any time.

Personally I wouldnt buy it after that as you could be throwing good money after bad, ive been playing ED since 2014 and have played it on a Mac machine (was cancelled first) and XBox 1X (we all know what happened there) and a PC (since 2014) I currently am sticking with PC from here on in as even if they cancel that I can use one of the other games out there currently im also playing NMS on XB1 and PC which is "still running" just fine.
Seems unlikely they meant that, or they would have put the box around 'after console launch'.

I think what RC meant is that the image posted is before President Braben posted that they are cancelling console development, even though Horizons 4.0 is now out it will never be hitting consoles they are going to be stuck in 3.8 era.
Pretty much correct.
Plans changed from Froentier's end and what they aimed to do, and what they actually did, are different beasts indeed.

It was pretty obvious to me that last gen consoles were never going to get EDO - My PS4 did play EDH reasonably well, but would never have handled EDO unless it received a massive optimisation boost, which just wasn't happening on PC, from which the console version would be ported.

I'm admitting to finding it odd that Frontier couldn't include the option to launch EDO in H4.0 mode, if all it needs is a different launch parameter, but then, it is their game and they make decisions about it, and its future.

Seems unlikely they meant that, or they would have put the box around 'after console launch'.
The more and more time they were optimising the PC version the more apparent it became that it wouldnt work on consoles, after that stark realisation they did what they did. No matter how much we look at it consoles are now old hat for ED specific gameplay to the extent that 3.8 is going to be stagnant and nothing more story wise will be happening there.

H4.0 and Odyssey are where fdev are focusing their attention and to be honest once 95-98% are using 4.0 codebase do you really think they will leave the 3.8 servers on forever for a few cmdrs? For the answer to that look at the Mac version of ED ;)

... and we can equally assume that other plans changed, couldn't we?

Pointless putting little red boxes on an out-of-date image, it was already negated by the important change, wasn't it? I know it is hard to accept that things change, but they do!
Look, the highlighted outcome did happen, so "horizons players" did "receive galaxy-wide graphical improvements and stuff" despite "console launch" was cancelled. So what's with the rest of the plans if they originally were scheduled at the moment of time "after console launch"? E.g. "Odyssey players in Horizons mode can instance with Horizons players in space/on surface".

I think "Odyssey Owners playing is Horizons mode" is not the same as keeping access to Horizons 3.8 as new tech became available to Horizons owners in Horizons 4.0. Not giving access to Odyssey owners to Horizons 4.0 is an indication of these plans to be cancelled. I just want to get an official confirmation for that. Or an update to the plans.

Look, the highlighted outcome did happen, so "horizons players" did "receive galaxy-wide graphical improvements and stuff" despite "console launch" was cancelled. So what's with the rest of the plans if they originally were scheduled at the moment of time "after console launch"? E.g. "Odyssey players in Horizons mode can instance with Horizons players in space/on surface".

I think "Odyssey Owners playing is Horizons mode" is not the same as keeping access to Horizons 3.8 as new tech became available to Horizons owners in Horizons 4.0. Not giving access to Odyssey owners to Horizons 4.0 is an indication of these plans to be cancelled. I just want to get an official confirmation for that. Or an update to the plans.
I would love to see the reason why Horizons 4.0 players cant be instanced with Odyssey players after all if its "Humanoid combat" pegi related just lock the human side in the Odyssey pass so horizons players dont see it.

Opening up the galaxy to more players will be great "if we can see em" at present with the instancing issues and networking problems we are lucky if we aee anyone and thats not taking into account the 400 billion systems there are.

I just want to get an official confirmation for that
So @sallymorganmoore going through this several times has not answered it sufficiently for you?

The only thing a player is entitled to is to play the game as long as Frontier continue to support it, that is all. No explanations to their decisions, or entitlement to anything more than Frontier decide they may use. Do you believe any differently to this?

Last edited:
So @sallymorganmoore going through this several times has not answered it sufficiently for you?
The fact I am asking doesn't answer your question?
The only thing a player is entitled to is to play the game as long as Frontier continue to support it, that is all. No explanations to their decisions, or entitlement to anything more than Frontier decide they may use. Do you believe any differently to this?
Thanks for your explanation of what you believe is player is entitled to do. I believe we have a full right to put inconvenient questions to the developer of the game we want to continue to enjoy. How else would Frontier know of our attitude before we all leave?

I believe we have a full right to put inconvenient questions to the developer of the game we want to continue to enjoy.
Of course you do...
How else would Frontier know of our attitude before we all leave?
Well, before you do... Unless you are arrogant enough to believe you are the voice of all :ROFLMAO:
It answers something, which I suspected all along, thanks.

Thanks for your explanation of what you believe is player is entitled to do. I believe we have a full right to put inconvenient questions to the developer of the game we want to continue to enjoy. How else would Frontier know of our attitude before we all leave?
Also the developer also exercises the right to not answer any questions 😉

Top Bottom